HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Bladder pressure!!!!!! Bladder pressure!!!!!!

Unread 03-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Bladder pressure!!!!!!

Hi Everyone,

I am six weeks post op partial hysterectomy (laparoscopic). I was full of endometriosis and none of the doctors even knew it. The reason I had the hysterectomy was for fibroids. I felt great a couple weeks out from surgery, but for the last couple of weeks I have been having bladder pressure (no burning when urinating or pain). It gets worse towards the end of the day and I find it very uncomfortable to walk. It feels like my bladder is being tugged around inside when I walk. It's awful!

I had my urine tested last week, culture was negative but there was white blood cells and cloudy appearance so my PCP put me on antibiotics. One week later, no relief so I saw my GYN surgeon today who did an internal exam and felt my bladder. He said it felt fine and not distended. He said I should rest for two weeks and give my organs a chance to "get used to their new position". If I have these symptoms in two weeks, he will refer me to a urologist.

Other than my bladder, my incisions are healed, and the rest of my lower abdomen feel great. But....this bladder issue is worse than my condition preop!!!

Any comments welcome. Thanks for listening!

"Frustrated"
Unread 03-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Re: Bladder pressure!!!!!!

I am right there with you on the bladder issues. I am 7 weeks post op tah bso and I have several issues with my bladder. A couple of weeks ago it started with bladder spasms which would keep me awake all night. I did the urinalysis and culture/sensitivity which turned out negative. I suggested Ditropan to my doctor and that finally gave me some relief. I also used and otc product called Uricalm (phenazopyridine and cranberry juice). This product will turn your urine a dark yellow to orange color, so don't freak out when you see that.
I agree with you this is way more uncomfortable than anything I dealt with before the surgery.

Now I am dealing with a whole new problem. It feels like someone lit a firecracker inside me and it almost feels like something is squeezing my bladder. I just never expected to have these complications. I sometimes wish I never had the surgery, although the endometriosis was giving me pain on most days of the month. I keep reminding myself it has only been 7 weeks and most of the people I have talked to said to give it at least 3 months.
Unread 03-08-2010, 08:21 PM

Mine was more of a deep achy bladder pain when I used the muscle to urinate. I am 4 weeks post op TAH. Dr. did not seem too concerned since the bladder went through some physical trauma during surgery. Time seems to heal all. Hope you feel better soon.
Unread 03-08-2010, 08:46 PM

Can you please tell me where your pain is. For the past few days I've been having alot of discomfort in the middle of my lower ad ( maybe where the cervix was?) So where is your bladder located and where is your pain? I have not experienced this pain before so I know its not normal pain (whatever is normal!)

Thanks in advance and I know this too shall pass!!

TAH -feb 3rd (5 weeks post-op)
Unread 03-08-2010, 11:37 PM

Could it be you are not emptying your bladder fully? Nurse and dr told me to go wait five mins and try again. To make sure it is empty. You can get a powder to add to a drink that helps clear things up or candberry tablets. Hope you can clear the discomfort. HUGS
Unread 03-09-2010, 12:34 AM

Hi Ladies,

I had TVH with anterior/posterior repairs on 1/12 so I guess I'm about 7 weeks and I have been having bladder pain too. It started at about 4 weeks with spasms but its slowly gotten better. I think it happens for me when I overdo it. Its really hard to tell when you have done too much until its too late.

I have been taking pain meds the entire time until last week and it was mostly for overdoing it or bladder pain/spasms or lower back pain.

I had a followup with my urologist today and she said that everything looked fine but I'm still having some minor discomfort, which she says will be better over time. I definitely don't want another surgery so I'm gonna hope she is right and try to take it easy and not ruin my bladder.

Thanks
Unread 03-09-2010, 04:43 AM

I also experienced bladder pressure during my 1st - 4th week. I had a slight infection (UTI) on my 2nd week too. When I asked my doctor, she was not concern too. She said it is normal to have such feeling. Now, the pressure is lesser and not so obvious. Today, I went for my 6th week check-up, my doctor mentioned that internal stitches would take at least 3 months to heal.
Unread 03-09-2010, 06:27 AM

Thanks for everyone's replies. I'm sorry for everyone who is having problems, but find it comforting to know I'm not alone.

ukcats - That's exactly how my bladder feelts, like someone is squeezing it. Maybe it has something to do with the endometriosis we had??? Hang in there, hopefully time will heal us

SG- Sorry to hear you're having pain. Mine is not really a "Pain" it is more of an uncomfortable squeezing feeling. But the bladder is right behind your pubic bone. Hope you feel better soon!

Tx-Rn - Thanks for your words of encouragement. I had a lot of endometriosis removed and the doctor did a cystoscopy at the end of my surgery to make sure there was no damage to my ureters or bladder, so I'm guessing my bladder went through a lot during the surgery. I am going to take my doctor's and everyone's advice and rest and be patient.

Thanks for all your comments!!!
Unread 03-09-2010, 06:37 AM

Hi im 6 wks post op tbh bso and feel fine, sometimes i have abdominal tenderness but put it down to doing to much with my 5 & 6 yr olds. I have pain right at the end of when i widdle but had all clear with urine test and been told to just let things settle more as it so early on.

I must say though that although i feel fine and am more or less back to normal routine i feel as though because i dont know how im meant to feel i want more information all the time.

Iv started my hrt this week but am suffering with insomnia so although glad to be rid of endometriosis, polycystic ovaries etc etc i would love a decent night sleep. My doc hasnt told me when we can resume "how ur father" so iv gone ahead and done it and no probs. Just nice to dicusss things that over people are going through.
Unread 03-09-2010, 06:47 AM

I would revisit your dr, or perhaps a different dr and get a second opionion. Sometimes a urine test for UTI's and kidney infections can still come up negative a couple days early into the infection.. get retested. Also... get tested for a kidney stone. That could cause some of the pain or discomfort.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.