HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

What Procedure is best? What Procedure is best?

Unread 10-05-2001, 07:00 PM
What Procedure is best?

Hi everyone,
I am new to this site.
I am 45 years old, and I have been diagnosed with Polyups way up inside my Uterus. I plan to have no more children. I am supposed to talk to my Dr. on the 18th about 3 options. My Polyups are multiple.
The option are... Surgery to take them out......Going in and burning them out... Or Hysterectomy.
I play tennis at a club near my home, and almost to a woman they have said go ahead and get the Hysterectomy. I guess I am leaning towards that, but my concern is the pain, and recovery time. My husband works 11 to 12 hours a day, and would not be available to help me much. I have 4 animals at home, but no kids as they are all grown.
Does anyone have any advice as far as which might be best? I have to admit that I would love to wave my periods Bye-bye... hehehehe... But I am apprehensive about choosing this Major Surgery.
Thanks all

Teego
Unread 10-06-2001, 04:50 AM
What Procedure is best?

Teego,
Like so many of us here, you are faced with a tough decision. My guess is that most ladies will tell you to do your research and make the choice that is best for you. A hyst is major surgery, not to be taken lightly. I have no experience with polyps, so I can't share any stories about that.

I am 46, had fibroids removed via laparoscopic myomectomy in late June. I was considered a good candidate for a hyst, but just could not make such a radical choice when there were other options. But I was having a lot of pressure from the fibroids, heavy periods, pain, etc. so I did want relief. Surgery went great (outpatient), but my doc found stage 4 endo during surgery. Turns out that was causing far more problems for me than the fibroids. I'm now working my way toward a hyst, after all. Have to get my colon checked for endo first (I have a pretty severe case, according to my doc) so we'll know whether or not I need a bowel resection.

Talk to your doc, get a second opinion (maybe a third), read all you can and make the decision you feel best about. One question I would ask, if you simply have the polyps removed, what is the likelihood they will grow back? That would be a factor in my decision. Best of luck. Hopefully someone else will come along who has had experience with polyps.

Beth
Unread 10-07-2001, 04:00 AM
What Procedure is best?

Hi,

Beth is correct when she says to chceck out all of your options. This prevents second guessing yourself in the long run. Some women go through surgery and recovery without any problems, for others it can create more. If you try the options available to you first, and they are not successful, there is always the hyst as an option later. Here is a link to a website that discusses the different options available to you. http://www.gynalternatives.com/index.htm
This should give you some good information to take with you to your next appointment.

Another thing you may want to do is get a second, or even third, opinion. Other women have done this, and found this to be very helpful.
Unread 10-07-2001, 09:01 PM
Thanks

Thank you Beth for taking the time to reply. I will meet with my Dr. on the 18th to ask her what she recommends. I have heard that it is very likely that the Poylups will return, but that will be one of my questions.
This is a very hard decision. Thanks for you input

Laura
Unread 10-08-2001, 08:57 PM
Laura,

As everyone else has said, I would definitely check out all of your options. I did have a single polyp that was removed very simply during a hysteroscopy and D&C. This was an outpatient procedure. This may be an option unless the polyps are where your doctor can not reach them during that type of procedure.

The website Beth suggested would be a good one to check out. Happy hunting!

Unread 10-09-2001, 05:26 PM
Thanks everyone

Hi again,
Thanks a lot for your replies!
Unfortunetly I have multiple Polyups way up inside my Uterus I guess. I am to talk to my Dr. on the 18th. I will mention the things that you'all have said here, and ask her opinion.
Again.... Thank you!
Laura

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.