HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

should i use progesterone cream with vivelle dot? should i use progesterone cream with vivelle dot?

Unread 03-10-2010, 02:45 PM
should i use progesterone cream with vivelle dot?

i had a hysterectomy (ovaries removed also) 7 years ago and have been on vivelle since the first year which has been working well until recently. i've noticed more severe mood swings, panic attacks, more night sweats and not being able to sleep all night (waking up at 3 or 4 am every day). I found a doc who specializes in bioidentical HRT and they did blood work for my hormone levels which showed very low estrogen and even lower progesterone but they want to start me on the Wiley Protocol. I had never heard of Wiley and after researching it, I have to say I am quite scared of it. it seems like way too much progesterone. I found Dr Lee's book about menopause at the library and since reading it I think I am estrogen dominant even tho my estrogen is low. i would like to start using the progesterone cream sold on this site or the one sold by dr lee's family but am wondering if i should stick with the vivelle as well or eliminate it and just use progesterone cream. Has anyone out there had success with this?
Unread 03-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Re: should i use progesterone cream with vivelle dot?

The Wiley Protocol is very controversial. I highly doubt it would even work for someone in surgical menopause.

I would not stop the estrogen and use just the progesterone as it is highly unlikely that progesterone alone is going to help with symptoms such as night sweats, hot flashes, etc.

I have read that if your estrogen is low, adding progesterone may make things worse. What doseage of the Vivelle Dot are you using? Maybe the doseage needs to be adjusted or maybe you are one who does not absorb the patch well so you may need a different method of delivery for your estrogen needs.

IMHO I would run, not walk, from a doctor who insisted that I start the Wiley method. There are other doctors out there. If it were me I would seek another opinion.

Unread 03-10-2010, 07:22 PM

i have definitely decided not to do wiley, but according to dr lee, dont we need progesterone to balance estrogen? in his book he says that for women who have had hysterectomies that estrogen should never be given without progesterone to balance it...where did you read about progesterone making things worse if estrogen is low?
Unread 03-11-2010, 02:02 AM

Personal experience of hundreds if not thousands of women who have passed through this forum has been that if you are low in estrogen, adding progesterone makes the symptoms worse. That's because progesterone can compete with estrogen for receptors.

Not everyone who uses estrogen needs to add progesterone. Some women make enough progesterone on their own from dietary cholesterol.

Are you sure Dr. Lee said that estrogen should never be given without progesterone to balance it in hysterectomized women? That's the case for women who still have a uterus, definitely, but NOT for those who don't. Many women here do just fine without progesterone.

s,
-Linda
Unread 03-11-2010, 06:08 AM

I just want to add my two cents here. In Jan. I started using bio-identical progesterone cream along with estriol vaginal cream. I don't use the estriol every day but do use the progesterone every day. I started using this after having a bad reaction to oral Estrace and having tried various patches with no luck. They never did stop my hot flashes and actually made them worse. Since being on the progesterone I don't have many flashes at all anymore. When I do they are very mild. I think I had become estrogen dominant and although I have had a total hysterectomy and don't have any ovaries I do believe we need progesterone as well. It couldn't hurt to try it. I can't say I've ever read any info that says using progestrone would make your symptoms worse. I have found the opposite to be true. I have never heard of the Wiley protocol but if it is really controvesal I wouldn't do it. Find a dr who will treat with bio-idents without using that type of program.
I have been on various forms of hrt for 22yrs now,from using oral premarin for 16yrs to patches, Estrace, etc. I'm feeling better having added progesterone so maybe you should give it a try. You can always stop using it if you find it doesn't work. Really that's all we can do is to try things til we find something that does work for us. Good luck!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway