Femring insertion problems | No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Femring insertion problems Femring insertion problems

Unread 03-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Femring insertion problems

Hi I'm new here, and was searching the web for help. I'm so glad I found this site, never knew it existed!! I'm definitely a HysterSister!!

I'm 53 years old and had a hysterectomy leaving one ovary when I was 34. At 45 the other ovary had to go (I had endometriosis). After various forms of HRT today my doc decided Femring is what I need because I'm having horrible daily killer migraines and all the other lovely symptoms of menopause - like I feel like a poster child!

I was excited, because she said it should take care of all my problems. I tried about 15 times to get the dumb thing in, hubby even tried. It won't go!! I think I'm not relaxing enough but I'm trying very hard to relax, breathe, etc. It feels like there is not a big enough space up there for that ring.

I feel really stupid, never had problems with any other meds or suppositories etc.

Anybody have any advice? Has anyone had this trouble? This was soooooooo expensive even with insurance and I just have to try it, can't afford to waste it and I truly have been in misery with the migraines......not to mention the hot flashes, night sweats, not being able to sleep and the dreaded vag dryness and weight gain and moodiness.

If anyone has advice please help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Re: Femring insertion problems

I have read here where some women have their doctor insert the femring first and show them how to do it. I would give your doctor a call and explain your problem.

Unread 03-18-2010, 04:37 PM

Thanks Kim. That's what I think I'll do and I feel stupider (is that a word) saying this but I wonder if they will help me since I have it partially in. I can't believe this is so hard to do!! After I chill out a while I'm going to try again......but I actually think the way I was 'sewn back together' after the hyster, it's just not shaped right for the darn thing. If I can't use it, I'm going to be on a menopausal rage.......I was shell shocked at the price of it. And then there are these posts about estratest which is what she wanted to put me on, and I wanted to try it,........but my doc checked and its on backorder. I live in TN, wonder if that is nationwide or just here. I have dealt with menopause for 20 years now since the hyster and it has never bothered me as much as it is now. I'm so glad I found this site. I'm sure I'll be pestering everyone a lot!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2010, 05:32 PM

Did you try shaping it into a figure 8? If you do that, and insert it straight in that way it should fall right into place. You will know if it's in correctly because you shouldn't feel it in there.
Unread 03-18-2010, 05:48 PM

Tried the figure 8 over and over. It is as if there is not room. Even if I do get it up where it seems like that might be far enough, it pops right back out. Ohhhh I should have said no to it when the drugstore said how much. As much as I wanted to try it, I don;t think this is going to work.
Unread 03-18-2010, 06:22 PM

Olive-oil, I had the same problem. I had the cervix removed with everything else and I think it helps to have the cervix. I also have various prolapses which don't help. I think it helped to try to get the front side of the ring over the lip of the pelvic ridge, then let the back side of the ring find it's resting place (hope that sort of makes sense). Initially I was trying to get the back side of the ring positioned first and it kept slipping down.

I think finally I just accepted that it would never be as high as they say it should sit, but it still worked as long as it was inside. I did have to push it back in occasionally (mostly after BMs and likely due to rectocele) but don't give up! It is expensive and the company told me it would work even if not inserted correctly - just as long as you get it inside and as high as you can. Best of luck! I think folding it into a double ring/overlapping loops helped with insertion too.
Unread 03-18-2010, 06:59 PM

Olive oil: Did you try rinsing it with warm water? The extra lubrication might help. I would lie down on the bed, and lift my legs to insert it. I do not have a cervix or anything and had no problems inserting it. I hope you will keep trying. It really is a great delivery system if you can get it in properly. If you can't, call your doctor to have them help you. It is far too expensive to waste.
Unread 03-18-2010, 07:24 PM

Carolina, yes I did, and I just knew the warm water was going to do it. But yes, I am calling the doctor tomorrow. It is too expensive to waste for sure. And the thought of not only getting rid of the dryness, night sweats etc., but if it helps my headaches like my doc thinks and the sleeplessness, I'll get my life back. Seriously, I'm a workaholic and the last few weeks, can't concentrate, barely get my work done (and many times don't). this is my dream job, I just have to feel better and jump back in with both feet. I will be calling in the morning. I really think all docs should help with the first one. Her first choice was estratest for me though, but its on back order. I'm due for my yearly checkup when this ring's 90 days are up so depending on how I do, I'm super interested in that.

Unread 03-19-2010, 12:56 PM

Well I'm back from the doctor's. Believe it or not, I did actually have it in right. Hubby and me both looked at the instructions and pictures and it looked like it belonged much higher up. She used some estrogen cream and wow it feels much better already. I'm also to use a dime sized amount of progesterone cream (like from GNC or a health store) on my arm daily, because she thinks before I quit the Estrogen patch, I had estrogen dominance. And they have ordered a testosterone compound for me (won't be ready till tomorrow or Monday) to address some of the other issues. Anyway, all these symptoms I've had that have gotten so bad in the last 2 months, some of which I thought didn't have a thing to do with hormones, evidently probably are for me and can be. Who knew? I don't regret the hysterectomy, I did feel better without the endometriosis pain, but I never expected it to come bite me in the butt so hard 20 years later. I'm really exhausted, still fighting the headache, but feel good knowing we are on the right track and a little bit more stupid for thinking I had the Femring in wrong. And after it's 3 months is up I'm using vaginal estrogen pills instead.

Loving this group and glad to have found some sisters.
Unread 03-19-2010, 01:34 PM

That's great news! I'm glad you checked in with the doctor. Sounds like she is a good one. I hope your headache lets up. I've battled those off and on, not fun.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register