HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

bladder installations?? bladder installations??

Unread 03-23-2010, 12:09 PM
bladder installations??

i was just diagnosed with ic and will be starting bladder installations, do they work is my question?
Unread 03-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Re: bladder installations??

ssmiles2--

I am sorry you have I.C. I suggest you use the Google Search [blue rectangle at the top right of the page] using 'bladder instillation' in the search bar and see what posts here come up. I know several Hyster Sisters here have had them with different degrees of success.

Here's hoping it works for you......
Unread 03-28-2010, 02:05 AM

I have had many bladder instillations. Sometimes they are fabulous, sometimes they don't work as well. They aren't uncomfortable, which is the good news. Sometimes it is trial and error as to what they use for the instillation. Do you know what kind you will be having?
Unread 03-28-2010, 03:19 PM

i dont know what kind this is all new for me, i was just diagonosed last wk. i have been in sooo much pain for soo long. i had a total abdominal hyterectomy with bso in jan caus the doctors said that was all my pain, turns out is was not the source of the pain. so now at least we have a start. my 1st installation is scheduled for tues so i will make sure i ask the doctor what it is and post . thank you so much for the info
Unread 03-28-2010, 04:04 PM

Good luck to you. I was diagnosed seven years ago, and it is very overwhelming at first. Not the most fun thing in the world to live with, but you can. You'll find what works for you and it will be okay.
Unread 03-28-2010, 07:51 PM

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a bladder installation?
Unread 03-28-2010, 08:02 PM

It's typically for women with Interstitial Cystitis. When we are in a bad flare, they use a catheter to insert medication "cocktails" directly into the bladder. Sometimes they use just heparin and some lidocaine to numb the lining of the bladder (the kind I usually get), or other types of medicines that calm the bladder down. It isn't nearly as dreadful as it sounds! They can be lifesavers when the pain is really bad.
Unread 03-28-2010, 09:03 PM

Thanks. Appreciate the info. How often does this happen - the installations or is it a one time thing for each flare up? Wouldn't you just pee it back out?
Unread 03-28-2010, 09:23 PM

You have to hold it in your bladder for a set amount of time--usually 30-60 minutes, and then you do urinate it out. By then it has coated the bladder and done its work. Some women do it every few weeks. I personally haven't had one in over a year, but I went a period of time when I went every single week for several months.
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:48 AM

so you after you have so many you dont need them anymore? im sorry this is all new to me so that might be a dumb question, my doctor said mine is severe, she could harldy get the camera in because im so swollen (not to mention the pain, i balled while she did it) thank you so much for all the help this is all so scary

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.