HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Myomectomy Question Myomectomy Question

Unread 03-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Myomectomy Question

Hello,
I have several fibroids with a few of them quite large(my uterus is the size of someone in the 7th or 8th month of pregnancy). Other than some back pain and a distended abdomen I really have no other complications as of yet.
I decided to go with a myomectomy as I have never had children however my doctor has told me due to the number and size of the fibroids that she can't guarantee that I will be able to carry a fetus. And with my family history the possiblity of the fibroids growing back is higher.

My question is for those who have had a myomectomy has there been a recurrence of the fibroids.

Thanks
Unread 03-24-2010, 07:14 AM
Re: Myomectomy Question

I also had large fibroids, and many symptoms and complications. After the procedure, I did get more fibroids, but I also have a beautiful daughter now - several years later. Throughout the pregnancy, I was closely monitored for IUGR and other complications (some due to the fibroids), but she is a healthy little girl and was born full term.
Unread 03-24-2010, 11:51 AM

Hi busybuggie,
If you don't mind my asking how old were when you had your myomectomy? I am currently 42.
Unread 03-24-2010, 03:57 PM

I had abdominal myomectomy 2 years ago and the fibroids haven't recurred since. I had about 10 fibroids removed. However the doctor also discovered I had adenomyosis which can only be cured by hysterectomy. The surgery relieved the heavy bleeding and clots for me and gave me time to decide whether or not I want kids in the future.
Unread 03-24-2010, 07:15 PM

I was 26 when I had the procedure. I'll be 33 in a few weeks. (Actually 5 days post-op.) I'm kind of curious to see what she finds in the way of fibroids. I know I currently have at least 3 or 4, but not sure on size.
Unread 03-24-2010, 07:42 PM

I had 18 fibroids removed 14 years ago, and I have 10 plus now. I wanted a hysterectomy then, but the doctor would not do it. I am scheduled for a daVinci hysterectomy on April 27, and I am ready to be pain free from my cycyles.
Unread 03-24-2010, 07:50 PM

Hi dedmurphy
That's my biggest concern that I will have a myomectomy this year and then need another procedure a few years from now. Part of me wants to have an end to everything but another part me would like to maintain my fertility.
Unread 03-24-2010, 09:46 PM

Hi reader

Here is a link to the Fibroids section of our Resources Directory: http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=26

Wanting to maintain your fertility for now is a very valid reason to choose a non-hyst option. Perhaps you should seek out another medical opinion.

I hope you are able to find the right answers soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 03-28-2010, 08:56 AM

I had a myomectomy in Dec. I really CANNOT believe how much better I feel. It has truly been the best experience I have had in some time. My entire cycle used to run my life. Wearing diapers, not being able to leave, pain which kept me in bed, weeks of bleeding, clots the size of a chicken breast.

My last 3 cycles have gone almost un-noticed. I actually bought regular tampons and panty liners. I barely even need a tampon. My doc said since they did a d&c also this was to be expected but my periods will probably get heavier and fibroid may return.

Even still, worth every minute I have had since Dec. I have my life back......for now.

Kris
Unread 04-02-2010, 07:43 PM

I had a myomectomy in 2005, at age of 33. I wanted to protect my fertility.

We did try to get pregnant via IUI immediately following my release from surgery. (intrauterine insemination) We made 2 unsuccessful attempts.

Fast forward to 2007 and I was diagnosed with more fibroids.

Husband and I took a long time to decide what was right for us. Another myomectomy or hysterectomy and decided that hysterectomy was right for us.

My mom and her 2 sisters all had hysterectomies at the age of 37/38 due to fibroids. My sister has fibroids, but hers don't cause her a bit of problems.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.