HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

da Vinci Hysterectomy in a week...what do I expect Post Op? da Vinci Hysterectomy in a week...what do I expect Post Op?

Unread 03-24-2010, 08:15 AM
da Vinci Hysterectomy in a week...what do I expect Post Op?

Hello Ladies.

My surgery will be next Wednesday. (March 31)

Can you all share (those that have had da Vinci Hyst.) your experiences?

What I should expect, maybe?

What hurt? How bad?

Share about your recovery. I would so like to know.

Thank you.
Unread 03-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Re: da Vinci Hysterectomy in a week...what do I expect Post Op?

I had the daVinci on March 1st. The surgery itself went very well. I was in a good deal of pain afterwards but the pain meds helped alot. I had to stay in the hospital for 2 nights- mainly bc my surgery not until the afternoon. I walked a lot in the hospital to help with all the gas pain but was glad when I got home and could take gas pills. The first 2 weeks afterward were still very painful for me- had to go for a CAT scan and bloodwork but it turns out....I was just doing too much without realizing it. My DR didn't tell me that you aren't supposed to be bending and I was doing a good deal of that, along with sweeping and getting my kids ready for school and packing lunches, etc (all week 2). The first week I layed around and behaved since my hubby was home to take care of me and the kids. I am very glad I went with the daVinci- even though it was the first ever robotic surgery for my DR and thier practice. You just need to remember to NOT bend, do things you shouldn't ect. I feel like an idiot bc even when I have a migraine I don't lay down- I have a child at home and things need done. Now I am given permission to take care of myself and I didn't take it. I still do some things around the house but TRY to lay down a lot and not overdo it. This site is a Godsend....I am so thankful for all the info it provides that my Dr didn't. Good luck....it's really not that bad
Unread 03-24-2010, 09:43 AM

Hello. I had my da Vinci March 4th and have done really well. Stayed overnight, so they stayed on top of pain meds. Got my cath removed before going to recovery, so drank lots so could urinate the amount they wanted before leaving. Got a little nauseated overnight and they gave meds through the port for that and a little sore throat from the tube so they gave me a popsicle... good people... urinating is a little sting-y for a day or two, but other than that everything went really well. Gas-X and stool softeners needed for sure. Walk a little each day, I walked up and down the driveway once a day and a little around the house. Don't overdo!! I'm at 20 days out now and back walking on the treadmill each day for 20 minutes. Am taking it slowly cuz I want to heal well. We are here for you when you need us. Sending you courage, kindness and hugs....
Unread 03-24-2010, 11:31 AM

Thank you ladies for writing to me.

I keep reading posts in the catagory of "da Vinci Hysterectomy" but thought it would be nice to read others.

Was the bending over pain due to surgery, or gas? (I will try NOT to do this!)

Was there much bloody discharge afterward? (I am wondering if panty liners will be good enough.)

Did either of you use an abdominal binder?

Thank you!
Unread 03-24-2010, 12:08 PM

I had da Vinci on the 5th of this month. It was a lot easier (pain wise) than I thought. The worst of the pain was gas. I didn't use a binder. Occasionally I have worn support panties, the ones that go up very high. That is mostly when I know I will be doing a lot of walking. The discharge wasn't bad. At first it was like a light period. But it only lasted a day and a half or two days. The big thing is I still get tired really easily. Buy a grabber! I have used that so much. I have found I can even do laundry with it (if I am very careful).
Unread 03-24-2010, 01:30 PM

I had my DaVinci surgery on Feb. 23, so I'm 4 weeks out now. I was in the hospital 2 nights, even though they planned on one. But I think I'm particularly sensitive to the anesthesia and narcotics so I was really weak and out of it. I agree with others that the gas pains were the worst part. Definitely you need to have Gas-X and stool softener when you get home, they really help. Somehow I thought with laporoscopic surgery the recovery would be so much easier and faster than with abdominal surgery, but I haven't found that to be true. I wish someone had told me that. Of course, everyone is different. And that is VERY evident when you read everyone's stories here. But here are some things I wish someone had told me: 1) Go home from the hospital in a big car - our Honda Civic was really bumpy!! 2) Start eating yogurt as soon after surgery as you can. I got oral thrush from the pre-op antibiotics and it seems eating yogurt would have/could have prevented that. 3) You NEED to have a rice bag or something you can heat up and keep on your belly - it feels soooo good! I'm still spending a lot of time resting on the couch, but I'm also up and doing stuff quite a bit too. Back to work in a week and a half and I think I'll be ready. I hope everything goes great for you and your recovery is fast and easy!
Unread 03-24-2010, 01:54 PM

My DVH was 5 weeks ago today. I stayed one night in the hospital, and was glad I did. No complications. just preferred the professional care. Had no pain from the surgery, other than from the gas. Controlled it with GasX and the pain pills, and it only lasted about 36 hours. I used one pad in the hospital and that was it as far as discharge goes. I was told I might notice something around week 4, with the stitches dissolving, but I haven't so far. I had no external stitches. Used Senecot for a stool softener. Things returned to normal on day 3. It is important to get rest and not to push, pull, or lift things until your doctor gives you the okay. Hope your recovery is as easy as mine. Best wishes.
Unread 03-24-2010, 01:55 PM

Hi, my name is Shirley. I am new to this but i think i can give you some insight, i had mine done 12/1/2008. I know i was scared and relieved at the same time. All i thought was am i going to feel like a woman still, is my husband going to still love me? Then i realized no more tumors in my ovaries, no more extreme heavy periods and most of all no more pain when i have sex. The down fall is how well will your sex life be after all this is done? Every woman is different so try not to think about that part, you need to get well first. Try and get yourself up and about the day after your surgery not to much now, and every day work on it slowly because you will have pain after your surgery. GOD BE WITH YOU!!!!
Unread 03-24-2010, 02:04 PM

even though i didn't ask the questions, i appreciate the answers... my davinci is next tuesday and its great to read the tips so i can be better prepared...
Unread 03-24-2010, 03:05 PM

I did not use a binder. I also did not bleed after the surgery...AT ALL! That made me happy. The bending pain was from the surgery. The incisions never hurt at first...now I get pain where they are when I am doing too much. My own fault. The gas pain really is bad for about the first week but gas pills and stool softener really, really help. I also bought granny panties 2 sizes too big (as suggested on here) but that was a waste of money for me. You'll have 5 incisions and my dr stitched them up and used a purple "glue" on the outside. That glue kept getting stuck on the undies so I reverted back to my normal undies since they come below the incisions. I still can't wear jeans (3 weeks) but wear the black yoga type pants I bought before surgery "for good" hahahaha.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.