HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Have to go off HRT after 5 years????? Have to go off HRT after 5 years?????

Unread 03-25-2010, 07:55 AM
Have to go off HRT after 5 years?????

Hi everyone,
I am very upset that I was told by a nurse practioner at my gynos' office last week that she's not sure that I should continue on my vivelle dot patch therapy after my script runs out in two months because it will be 5 years this coming Fall that I had my total hysterectomy.
I feel I will have trouble getting acclimated to the symptoms of menopause like I did before I was originally put on the patches.

I tried to go without hormone replacement therapy after my hyster but suffered so intensely. when I went for a follow up visit after the hyster, my doctors associate had to see me that day rather than my own gyno and she seemed mystified as to why my gyno hadn't put me on anything after seeing what I looked like.
I lost so much weight, looked haggard, felt listless and wasn't sleeping. my emotional health was effected as well,being I have bipolar illness.
Maybe if the menopause had happened gradually to me in the course of the years it normally takes a woman, rather than going into full blown menopause surgically, maybe I wouldn't have suffered so intensely?
anyway,
I am very nervous and not sure of what to expect without my patches. I'm told I'll have to go off of it gradually.

I wonder why the medical society recommends not staying on all HRT'S after the five years are up?
does anyone know?
I forgot to ask this question to the nurse.

I do have a congenital heart thing which we just found back in 2008, which is called " atrial septal aneurysm" and the nurse when she first came into the exam room stated I have a heart problem and my reaction to her concern wasn't the same.
I wasn't referred to a cardiologist by my family doctor therefore I didn't think it was anything to be concerned about.
a large part of the population has this defect and aren't even aware of it. I was told by my family dr to take an 80mg aspirin a day for it. nothing else.
Now my psychiatrist who just put me on seroqual is demanding me to see a cardiologist for the heart defect. I never told her I had it when I was first dx'd with it.
Everyone seems to be concerned about it other than my family dr. who I don't see anymore now for a year.
the nurse practioner is concerned about taking ERT while having this defect.
I've been on the patches this long with no problems, so I'm not worried.
I would feel if there's something wrong.
Is there anyone out there who's been on HRT longer than five years?
Unread 03-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Re: Have to go off HRT after 5 years?????

Time for a new doctor.
Unread 03-25-2010, 12:54 PM

I agree time for a new doctor.
Unread 03-25-2010, 01:53 PM

I have to agree with the 2 posters above me, it is definitely time for a new doctor and I know this sounds terrible as I am in the medical field, but I would not listen to a nurse practioner on something like my meds. When I started on my bleeding she gave BCP and another pill (can't remember the name of it) to stop my bleeding. Well the 2 meds she gave did more harm than they did good. They were actually working against each other.

Say you want to speak to the doctor or go find a new one.
Unread 03-25-2010, 02:16 PM

The 5 year recommendation was originally for women in Natural menopause which is NOT the same as surgical menopause. I would definitely talk about it with the doctor and if he wants to stop it, find another doctor.
Unread 03-25-2010, 04:49 PM

I've been using hrt for 10, almost 11 years now! I do have my annual exams, to include bloodwork and mammogram. After the test results come in, my doctor and I discuss them and if things check out okay than I am good to continue with the hrt. Honestly, I am just not at the point where I think I could discontinue them. I have numerous other issues and I just know that if I give up my hrt things will be much worse.

I do want to add that I know nothing about congenital heart issues and ert. You may want to do some more research on that. Perhaps you need to talk with your doctor and not the NP.

Unread 03-26-2010, 07:42 PM

I started on estrogen in my early 40's and I'm 53 now. I have recently heard of women in their 80's who had to have at least an estrogen vaginal cream. If it were just about hot flashes, maybe we could be weaned off, but it's not.

I also agree with not letting a nurse practioner prescribe your meds. I trusted one just a week ago and learned a lesson. My doctor changed it all today.

And I agree, most definitely time for a new doctor.
Unread 03-27-2010, 09:01 AM

thank you all for your helpful responses. i had no idea that woman can be on estrogen longer than 5 years. i'm just learning now this because i've never had to question it before.
i am going to start seeing a doctor rather than the nurse practitonar. you know i thought to myself when i was asked when i had to make an apptn. to see someone there and i was under the assumption that a nurse would be fine for my case being i don't have a cervix or anything to have to worry about ,but i'm seeing otherwise.
can a woman who have breast issues like cystic changes still stay on the estrogen? as long as you're going for ck ups and tests.
i will do some investigation on these matters but am still SO happy to hear from you all that I do NOT have to go off my HRT like this nurse has told me I might.
she wants me to bring in the disc of my mammorgram to the doctor with the report when I see him in a few weeks. I guess she's trying to cover herself. which I can understand.
thank you all again.
sincerely,
Linda
Unread 03-27-2010, 09:36 AM

Sounds like you're on the right track. I don't see why someone with cystic breasts (I have them) cannot stay on estrogen if you do monthly self-exams and mammograms yearly. I find that progesterone does help with the cystic breast issue to a degree.

Good luck!
Unread 03-27-2010, 10:31 AM

Linda,
I have fibrocystic breasts, was diagnosed at the age of 30 when I had my first mammogram. I just stay on top of my mammograms. My doctor has not suggested to me that this was a reason that I couldn't use hrt.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.