HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Adenomyosis and bloating Adenomyosis and bloating

Unread 03-26-2010, 04:29 AM
Adenomyosis and bloating

Hi Ladies, I have been diagnosed with Adenomyosis and am booked to have a hysterectomy in 3-4 months. Can anyone tell me if Adenomyosis is connected or causing the really uncomfortable bloating I am suffering in my stomach. Am not sure what to do about the blaoting as it is not for what I am eating ( at least I don't think it is). I understand that the uterous swells becuse of this illness but am not sure if this is what is causing this feeling. I am on tablets to stop me bleeding but had the bloating before I started the tablets. Maybe it is because I am not bleeding that I am bloating. It is not my imagination because the scales are telling me that my weight is increasing. Any help would be great. Sorry for going on but I have no one around me to ask. x
Unread 03-26-2010, 06:26 AM
Re: Adenomyosis and bloating

I have adenomyosis too. Basically, i look like i am pregnant. I would say in my 3rd/4th month. I am a small frame person, but i have this tummy that sticks out. It is right about where my belly button line is and lower. I wouldn't call it fat, because above my belly button it is flat. You can't really "grab" the lower belly, it is kinda firm..and yes, i have "gained" 3 lbs in just a few months!!! (diet hasn't changed, and i am very active). I was dx with this back in August and at the time they said my uterus was the size of 10wks. I can PROMISE you since then it has gotten bigger. The same jeans i wore at christmas, do not fit anymore.

Not sure what tablets you are taking?? They make tablets for this??

From my understanding, and i might be off a bit, the adenomyosis causes your uterus to be "boggy". Just my thought, but if your uterus is boggy, and can't "contract" down to normal size, it just gets bigger. Someone told me to think of it as a sponge, add water (blood) and it gets bigger. I have heard that your uterus can't "shed" all of it's lining too with Adenomyosos. Again, i might be off a bit.
Unread 03-26-2010, 07:46 AM

Thank you for your reply and the info given. The tablets I'm on is to stop me bleeding as I have been bleeding constant. They are called NORETHISTERONE but don't forget that I'm in the UK and they may be called different in the United States. To be honest I can't wait for my op as I seem to be getting bigger by the day.
Unread 03-26-2010, 12:05 PM

One point my doc added swollen uterus and possible bowel back up! Thats me gaining wgt steady since 04, no matter what I do...when my parts are gone I will Have regular BMs and should maintain or lose wgt. I guess it makes sense...My BMs have been off for years I think....Just a thought.
Unread 03-26-2010, 01:04 PM

I have adenomyosis and my doctor just told me yesterday it is pressing on my colon. I go days without a bowel movement before my period. Nothing at all works - I have tried every laxative, prescription and natural.
I can gain 2 pounds in a day without changing my diet - so yes - I do believe it causes major bloating.

I would love to hear from anyone who had adenomysis and a hysterectomy. I am hoping all these horrible feelings go away.
Unread 03-26-2010, 08:21 PM

This is me too...I can't poop for anything...and I'm getting bigger by the day too it seems.

I would also be interested in hearing from someone who's had it done.
Unread 03-27-2010, 05:18 AM

Hi there. I had very advanced adenomyosis when I had my surgery 2 years ago yesterday. Bloating and feeling never really relieved in terms of bowels were part of the symptoms. I can honestly say I am so glad I had the surgery. I had a few complications the first few days but after a few weeks recovery I have not looked back. It was the best decision I have made about my health in the last decade. I didn't realise just how unwell the adenomyosis was making me until it was dealt with by the surgery. I have a new lease on life, loads more energy because of course I am not bleeding anymore and it has been the best era for sex in my entire life! I wish each of you all the best for your surgeries. Be kind to yourselves as you recover. It is a major operation and even if you have laprascope surgery as I did, it will take a while to get back on your feet properly. Dont forget to
Unread 03-27-2010, 08:23 AM

I have adenomyosis and I too can gain 2 pounds during the first few days of my period.
Unread 03-27-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italydream View Post
Hi there. I had very advanced adenomyosis when I had my surgery 2 years ago yesterday. Bloating and feeling never really relieved in terms of bowels were part of the symptoms. I can honestly say I am so glad I had the surgery. I had a few complications the first few days but after a few weeks recovery I have not looked back. It was the best decision I have made about my health in the last decade. I didn't realise just how unwell the adenomyosis was making me until it was dealt with by the surgery. I have a new lease on life, loads more energy because of course I am not bleeding anymore and it has been the best era for sex in my entire life! I wish each of you all the best for your surgeries. Be kind to yourselves as you recover. It is a major operation and even if you have laprascope surgery as I did, it will take a while to get back on your feet properly.
That's wonderful to hear....I'm glad it was such relief for you and I hope it does the same for all of us!
Unread 03-27-2010, 07:16 PM

Hi! I am 3 days post op from LSH for Adenomyosis. Just wanted to say that severe bloating was definitely part of my symptoms. I went from a size 8 jeans to a size 12 over a 3 year period. Towards the end I would not be able to move my bowels at all during the week of my period(which is when the swelling would be at its peak). The week leading up to my surgery there was so much pressure and pain on my bowel and cervix..horrible. I am happy to say as soon as I woke up in recovery that was all gone, removing that heavy uterus gave me immediate relief. They did happen to find some endometriosis on my bladder which they removed during the surgery. I didn't really have any bladder problems other than a slow stream. Hope this helps!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway