HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Painful Uterine Spasms Feels Like Labor Contractions?????? Painful Uterine Spasms Feels Like Labor Contractions??????

Unread 10-08-2001, 07:06 PM
Painful Uterine Spasms Feels Like Labor Contractions??????

Please let me know if you have exp. spasms (not during your cycle) like uterine contractions that you get during labor. I had a lap done 2 years ago they thought it might be Endo, but the Lap came back clear. I have alot of bleeding during the frist 48 hrs of my cycle, the cycles are now coming every 20-23 days lasting 6 days. The spasms come before or after my cycle and can last up to 1 hr. they used to come sometimes after having sex. Now it happened after using the bathroom. I have had problems with constipation, now the first couple of days of my cycle I am having the opposite. The drs feel it could be Adenomyosis....
Unread 10-08-2001, 07:15 PM

I too have those spasms, I sometimes have them after sex. But ALWAYS when i am passing a fist sized blood clot.My Dr.also suspects adenomyosis. Sorry to hear someone else is going through that kind of pain too.I go through two to three pads an hour,set alarm clock at night so i can change my pad.I also am either consipated or have the other.
Unread 10-08-2001, 07:30 PM

It helps so much to hear from someone going thru the same thing, in most of the journals it describes pain but not these contractions!!!! That are so different to monthly cycle pain..Even the Dr. seems puzzeled when I describe the episode and how it can completely overtake that hour that I have to breath thru and possibly try and find a postion to be in so I can get thru it.

Thank You Again For Writing To Me....
Unread 10-09-2001, 04:37 AM
I thought it was just me!!!

Thank you,
I am on my last (.) now and had to leave work early yesterday because right before lunch I started cramping and it would NOT let up. It is not one of those stop, start, stop again cramps. This Never stopped, just one continous cramp! I took a Naproxen at lunch since I forgot my Darvocet, then 30 minutes later took 2 Alleve. Still no relieve. Went home and took a Darvocet. Did not have any relief until about 4 hours later. It is like someone has my uterus in their fist and just will NOT let go! I guess this is Mother Natures way of reminding me Why I am having this surgery next week! The crazy thing about yesterday though is I was hardly bleeding at all. But during the night it has started back at full force!I compare it to giving birth to Twin Baby Elephants and I have never given birth!
So glad to hear I am not abnormal, although I would not wish this pain on anyone! Thank you ladies!! You are all such a comfort!
Unread 10-09-2001, 05:24 AM
no.. your not alone!

hello.. no! you are not alone! thank god i thought i was.. i have had (.) like that since i was 16 and got really bad after my c-section and tubal.. i hate your going through it,its awful, i know. also, does your stomach start to swell before and after your period like your pregnant? mine will start about a week before and last a week after my period, it gets rock hard and pokes out, i've even had pregnancy test b/c i thought i was pregnant b/c of it. its awful how hard it gets. is that b/c of an enlarged uterus? its pretty bad when friends and family want to know why you did not tell them you were pregnant! i usually go through 2 bags of 28 overnight pads, sometimes more.. its so bad i just wanta stay in bed for those 5-7 days! i hope to know this week when and what they plan to do about it.. had a sonar and the tech just ask if i had both ovaries. wouldn't say why, so i assumed my uterus was swollen and blocking her view???? heck, i don't know.. well i wish you all good luck and a pain free life!!! oh, about the weight gain, i'm curious to, my cousin and aunt had a hysterectomy and both lost tons of weight, but i also l know of people who gain.. that will probably be my case! anyway.. god bless...take care and hope all goes well..
Unread 10-09-2001, 05:31 AM
Thank you!

Yes, my stomach gets soooo hard and swollen that I have what I call my period jeans! My dh has actually put his hand on my stomach and can feel the contractions/spasms!!! I have lost weight this last month for some reason!! I hope to not gain any after surgery. I know my uterus is enlarged and have lots of endo so I hope that when they take all that yucky stuff out, I will be skinny!!! LOLOL I have to get ready for work now and am going to take a Darvocet as preventive medicine. Hang in there! Thanks for making me feel normal!!!!
Unread 10-09-2001, 05:59 AM

I get them to. Mostly after sex but also several days before (.) starts. I can not go more than four hours without vicodin and dr. says ultrasound reveals enlarged uterus and looks like adenomyosis because of the globular appearance and soft feeling upon exam. A pathology report after a hysterectomy can correctly diagnose adenomyosis.

Here's some info about contractions and adenomyosis
http://www.netreach.net/~hysterectom...denomyosis.htm

Another link. http://www.centerforendo.com/news/ad...denomyosis.htm

With adenomyosis, the presence of many tiny islands of functioning endometrial glands scattered in between the normally tightly laced muscle bundles creates numerous little pressure points that can be extremely tender. This creates pain that is worsened when the muscle is contracting. In addition, the efficiency of the contraction is reduced. You can get a sense of what’s happening if you imagine the uterus as a person with a mouthful of marbles who is trying to spit. Because the uterine muscle contractions aren’t as efficient as they should be, the resulting menstrual flow is heavier.

Most very heavy menstrual bleeding does not mean that a woman is shedding substantially more endometrium. The ‘endometrial slough’ is determined by the size of the uterus and the hormonally induced endometrial thickness. The uterus has large blood vessels that come through the myometrium to feed and supply the endometrium. Really heavy bleeding occurs when the uterine muscle cannot do its job of contracting around these vessels. This is important because after the endometrium is passed out, the basilis layer may be very thin, which could expose the raw muscle surface. This means that the large vessels can pump blood directly into the uterine cavity of the muscle cannot contract well.
Unread 10-09-2001, 07:19 AM

Yes I also look very pregnant just before my cycle, and yes it is hard too. Everyone seems to mention pads....Am I making matters worse wearing super+ tp's? Has anyone cycles changed where they are coming closer? As for pain I usually use Naproxen 500mg but I needed something stronger for this last spasm which happened 4 days before my cycle started, so the Dr has given me a prescription for Tyl+cod. I am schedualed for a LAVH/BO but I am going to talk with the Dr about the new one LSH/BO where they leave your cervix and remove the rest thru the lap incisions instead of down below. Thank you for all joining in to let me know how it has been for you. Bless You All
Unread 10-09-2001, 08:25 AM

I cant wear the tampons I bleed out of the side,and my periods do come closer together.
Unread 10-09-2001, 08:41 AM

i used to use tampons, but a doctor told me that with all of the Heavy bleeding and blood clots i have.... tampons were not a good idea b/c there is no room for breathing and somehow the blood backs up inside of you and causes even more pain, and i found that to be true for me b/c it seemed my pains were stronger with tampons, i even passed out at work once, theres a name for it, but i can not remember what they call it.. besides that i bleed to much for a tampon. was changing them every 1/2 hour i use maxi overnights now,( feels like a diaper) and still bleed through... i can't wait to get this over with! too late for this month! i will be starting in a few days... but hopefully this will be the last one.. GOD i hope so... much love@ luck....

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway