HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

What happens if I don't use Estrogen post Hysterectomy? What happens if I don't use Estrogen post Hysterectomy?

Unread 04-04-2010, 06:45 AM
What happens if I don't use Estrogen post Hysterectomy?

Hi all, I had a complete hysterectomy March 9th. Cervix, both ovaries and uterus. My recovery has gone very well for 4 weeks out. I am confused though about how to follow up with Estrogen replacement. I am currently prescribed Vivelle .1 patch 2x weekly. I would much rather go a natural route though. I am wondering what would happen if I don't use any Estrogen replacement. I am 43, in good health otherewise and consider myself somewhat of an athlete. Any experience with this ladies? I don't want to make a bad decision that I can't correct down the road. Your thoughts and experiences would be greatly appreciated. Heal well, Melissa
Unread 04-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Re: What happens if I don't use Estrogen post Hysterectomy?

Hi there. I had my hyst almost 8 months ago and I have not taken any HRT. My doctor prefers his patients to use it only if their symptoms are intolerable. I also discussed this with my GP and my Cardiologist and they both said the same thing.

There are many conflicting studies about the long-term affects of Estrogen and long-term affects of not taking it. My Cardiologist said that he is comfortable with my not taking it and I do have some heart issues. But, he said it would be fine if I did.

The emotional part was pretty hard at first but I was also worried about the emotional side-effects if I did use HRT so I decided to stick it out. I am doing fine now.

I will add that I am overweight and there are differences with overweight women, something to do with our bodies retaining Estrogen and also producing a chemical that is Estrogen-like so my experience is slanted toward that fact.

I wish you the best in whatever you decide!

Unread 04-04-2010, 11:56 AM

There are some good websites out there that discuss surgical menopause issues. Read up on the various pros and cons and discuss any questions and concerns you have with your GYN. Some women who don't use HRT use SSRI's... Personally, I must have still been producing a small amount of estrogen, because after surgery I began having a lot more difficulty sleeping and night sweats. So after many years of not being on HRT, I began again at a low dose and am feeling better. It is a huge issue that does require us, as strong, intelligent women, to gather all the necessary information and to keep the communication going with our GYN's to come to the very best decision for us as individuals. Everyone is different... so take some time and do the homework, ask the questions...and good luck!!
Unread 04-05-2010, 01:13 AM

The main side effects of no oestrogen replacement are increased osteoporosis, increased risk of dementia, vaginal atrophy, oestrogen also protects Heart health, in a normal heart.
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:02 PM

i'm currently wearing a vivelle .5 patch, but i don't know if i really need it. it had fallen off for a couple days after my hyst last week and i felt fine without it. my husband and mom really want me to use it, but i'm really feeling pushed into it. i see my dr on april 14 so i'll talk to him about my feelings then if i'm still unsure. so far i've had nightsweats and mild hot/cold stuff, but i've experienced those in my life before and they aren't a huge deal yet. i'm also on anti-depressants and that works well for my emotional health. i'm just feeling like other people are making the choices for me right now and i don't like it.
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly36 View Post
i'm currently wearing a vivelle .5 patch, but i don't know if i really need it. it had fallen off for a couple days after my hyst last week and i felt fine without it. my husband and mom really want me to use it, but i'm really feeling pushed into it. i see my dr on april 14 so i'll talk to him about my feelings then if i'm still unsure. so far i've had nightsweats and mild hot/cold stuff, but i've experienced those in my life before and they aren't a huge deal yet. i'm also on anti-depressants and that works well for my emotional health. i'm just feeling like other people are making the choices for me right now and i don't like it.

Thank you all for your responses. I truly appreciate the input. I, too, feel somewhat pushed into what I am doing. I am looking into alternatives. I am not sure how to find a good naturaopath or D.O. in my area. I didn't get the answers I needed from my Dr. Has anyone used Estroven max strength? It is OTC and I actually bought it before my surgery on a good recommendation but found myself with the Vivelle.

Just curious Dragonfly36, how old are you? (I wont tell) and why do the people in your life want you on it? My sister insists I need it too. Just wondering.
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:43 AM

I'm two weeks post op, and I don't plant to use HRT. So far, so good, but it's only been two weeks, so..... but I did start taking Wellbutrin XL a week prior to the surgery, and I really feel like it is helping keep me steady emotionally. I have only had one episode of crying (and that was over a giant cake that fell on the show Ace of Cakes LOL) and a few teary moments when I couldn't do somethings, but overall, I think that I'm doing pretty well. Like I said, it's only two weeks, but I hope I stay this way.
Unread 04-06-2010, 06:42 PM

I respect individual choice, but I do feel decisions need full information as well as emotional content before being made.
ERT's protective benefits are pretty much known when implemented directly after surgery.
Unread 04-13-2010, 12:10 PM

I am 43. Had a total hyst (plus both ovaries) on March 11 because I am brca positive (also had fibroids). Prior to surgery, I had planned to take hrt. However, my symptoms have been mild, so I'm going to see how it goes for a while. I do have occasion night sweats and pretty regular hot flashed, but they are totally manageable so far. As unexpected as it seems, I actually feel better than I did before my surgery - especially mentally/emotionally. I am going to try an herbal supplement called estroven. Took the first dose this morning.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.