HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

diagnosed with MTHFR diagnosed with MTHFR

Unread 04-05-2010, 07:09 PM
diagnosed with MTHFR

Hi everyone, wow talk about ups and downs and ups. went through this when conquering breast cancer and doing it again with the ovaries. So due to personal hx of BC and family hx of ovarian cancer, i am getting the laparascopic supracervical hysterectomy (ovaries and tubes too). ultra sound showed mild thickening and cystic appearance of uterus and two ovarian cysts. so i just came to terms with this and then i tested positive for MTHFR and the doc wants to give me levanox during surgery. SO i really need advice and support. i know getting the ovaries out increases heart probs and with this MTHFR is it still worth risk doing? the risk of heart issues versus risk of cancer. to make things more confusing i thought i was in menopause due to chemo stopping periods in october. well i just got mine again. kind of missed it but cursing it at the same time. please write back. thanks so much
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Re: diagnosed with MTHFR

I am sorry, I dont know what mthfr is. But what does your doctor suggest with this new information? I think most people probably thought you were cursing.
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:23 PM
diagnosed with MTHFR

Oops sorry MTHFR is a gene that means you are prone to clotting. They have to put some leg squeezers on during the surgery and I have to go on folic acid and eat more veggies ]
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:47 PM

Hi (((fortheluvofdogz))) Have you seen a hematologist about the implications for your long-term health of having a MTHFR mutation? (For those who don't know, MTHFR mutations lead to an elevated level of homocysteine in the blood, which elevates the risk of thrombosis, particularly DVT.)

I'm assuming you meant that they want to give you lovenox during surgery... it's a blood thinner which can help reduce your risk of DVTs because of the surgery.

I'm so sorry you are facing such a tough decision... it sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place. Removing the ovaries increases your likelihood of DVTs, and while most of us could negate that added risk by using HRT, chances are that most DRs will not prescribe HRT for you. So, you need to weigh the relative risks of keeping the ovaries versus removing them. You might want to read the articles in our Resources section about keeping your healthy ovaries, and talk with a hematologist.

If you do decide to go ahead with the ovary removal, you may want to discuss with your DRs a plan for dealing with whatever menopausal symptoms you experience, preserving bone health and lowering your ongoing risk of DVTs for the longer term.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

s,
-Linda
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:52 PM

Thanks for clarifying that. I think we all get those leg squeezers and I know they shot me up with a blood thinner as soon as I got there. Oh yeah and then theres those sexy stockings I wore for two weeks.
I personally would look at it like this, keep your ovaries for now, you can worry about them as you go and then if there is a problem with them later deal with it then. Meanwhile maybe they will never have a problem and you will get the benifits of keeping them.
Good luck with whichever you decide.
cindy
Unread 04-05-2010, 10:25 PM

Unfortunately my left ovary has two cysts, mom died of ovarian at late 40 (I'm almost 42) and sister is brca + so the ovaries according to all my docs need to go. I told him I would not agree unless some form of hormones so we are doing the patch .25 next life I want to be a man. Doctor didn't tell me about stockings for 2 weeks he said the blood thinners and leg thingies just during surgery. Thx so much for the responses and support!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway