HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Are the outcomes of prolapse surgery ever positive? Are the outcomes of prolapse surgery ever positive?

Unread 04-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Are the outcomes of prolapse surgery ever positive?

I have a servere uterine prolapse (almost my entire uterus is hanging out), a cystocele and rectocele. I am extremely uncomfortable with this "thing" hanging between my legs and it feels awful every time I walk or when I sit down. I am scheduled to have a TVH, and a cystocele and rectocele repair yet I am wondering if I'll end up with more problems than I started with if I go through the surgery (e.g. vaginal vault prolapse, bladder problems, etc.). I have had inguinal and femural hernia repairs on both sides of my body and I have varicose veins, so I figure that my tissues are weak.

Has anyone had a positive outcome for prolapse surgery? I feel backed into a corner with nowhere to turn... none of the options looks good.
Unread 04-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Re: Are the outcomes of prolapse surgery ever positive?

You will feel alot better after your surgery. I don't know what kind of repair you are going to have. I had a sacracolpolplexy using mesh which made my bladder go back. Yes I had a positive experience and so far the repair seems good. The restrictions I had after surgery were the worst part, but 12 weeks went fast. Sex is good. Of course people have a positive outcome or they wouln't have surgery. I did not think the pain or recovery were bad. I also had rectal surgery at the same time. That was the worst part. Good luck. You will be glad you had the surgery. I hope your surgeon is a urogynecologist.
Unread 04-07-2010, 08:55 PM

Thank you for your response, Brichey! It means a lot to me! I have been feeling very down and your message was very comforting.

I just googled sacracolpolplexy because I didn't know what it is, and I see that it is performed by abdominal or laparoscopic access. How was yours done? My doctor is doing a TVH and a cystocele and rectocele repair. She said that she will assess whether I need additional mesh support when she does the surgery. Did you know ahead of time what your doctor was going to do? Did you mean a rectocele repair when you said rectal surgery ? This is all pretty new to me. My surgeon is a urogynecologist. My gynecologist wanted to do the surgery but I wanted a surgeon who specializes in prolapses. Have you completely recovered from your surgery?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my thread.
Unread 04-08-2010, 12:04 PM

Hi Mandolynn,

You'll probably feel alot better after surgery once the initial recovery time is up. I had a prolapsed uterus and a rectocele. Had a sacrospinous fixation and rectocele repair in February. The results were great (my uterus was way up high and I felt great). I had nerve damage though (not the surgeons fault, just the way my body is put together I guess). So I had surgery to release the sutures two weeks later and they had to do a Manchester repair.

I'm a bit worried about the results now (my bladder and bowel (and I think my uterus as well) are dropping a little again). Even so, I would still do everything again, because you cannot live with the problems caused by all these prolapses. Pain from surgery, catheter etc was okay for me, I did not feel much from the rectocele repair.....

So, I'm determined to battle any recurring prolapsed, go for it as well....you'll probably feel so much better afterwards (one lady in the ward also had her uterus all the way out and she was so relieved after surgery). Goof luck...hope all goes well for you.
Unread 04-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Thumbs up - Are the outcomes of prolapse surgery ever positive? Re: Are the outcomes of prolapse surgery ever positive?

I had a vaginal hysterectomy and TOT last May. I had huge fibroids and a huge uterus so the surgery was difficult. Following the surgery, I had a rare complication, a prolapsed fallopian tube. Diagnosing this was difficult. I had a second surgery with a urogynecologist on March 9th They removed the fallopian tube and resutured the cuff. In addition, they lifted the bladder, did a rectocele and a vault suspension. So far so good and so much better than before surgery. The only think I would do different is have a urogynecologist from the start. My first surgery was done by a urologist and a gynecologist. I am hoping to feel better than ever in a few more weeks. This time around I am tired but that is to be expected. Already I feel better than when everything was hanging out and displaced.
Good luck, nice to have people to talk with about this!
Take care,
Koumbara
Unread 04-08-2010, 07:06 PM

I had a LAVH. I had a sphincteroplasty (overlap repair of Sphincter muscle). I think the colon-rectal Dr also made a repair of perineal muscles to help with rectocele. I still have a small rectocele, because the urogyn did not do that part of the surgery, because of other Drs incision which I knew going into surgery. Yes I knew what surgery they were doing ahead of time. Yes pretty much. I am using Premarin vaginal cream 2 x a week to thicken vaginal wall. I go back to urogyn in May. The worst part was not being able to push, pull, bend or lift fro 12 weeks. I used a grabber, which I got pretty good at. It seems like that was along time ago now. I had a hyst, but kept my ovaries. I had some adhesions which the Dr removed that was probably the only surprise during surgery. Good luck I am glad you have a urogyn. My Dr. sent me to one because of some neuropathy that I have that she thought might complicate things, but it didn't. I would have the surgery again in a heartbeat. It was definitely a quality of life issue for me. After surgery I took Toradol for a week and than Motrin. The pain was not that bad. Yes I had cystocele, rectocele, uterine prolapse and cut Sphincter muscle.
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:13 PM

Hi Burned Out, I'm really sorry you're having a difficult time and hope that things improve for you! How does the nerve damage affect you? What is a Manchester repair? Re. "Even so, I would still do everything again, because you cannot live with the problems caused by all these prolapses," it's good to know that you feel that way. I don't want to lose my uterus in the first place (who does???), and I have wondered over and over again if I'd feel like I'd made a mistake if I had another prolapse once I had the surgery. But you're right - you cannot live with the problems. I'm tired of waddling when I walk and of all the other stuff that comes with the various prolapses. I have never had a catheter, by the way. Is it awful?
Please keep me posted on how you're doing. I'll be thinking of you.
Wishing you all the best. Lots and lots of luck!!!
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:28 PM

Hi Koumbara, I like your user name!! What is a TOT? It sounds like the last 10 months have been very difficult for you, to put it mildly! It must have been distressing not knowing what was wrong! What symptoms did you have? You'd think that a surgery done with both a urologist and a gynecologist would go very well.

Were you able to carry on with your life while you were waiting for your second surgery? I find I'm so preoccupied these days and although I carry on with my life, I wonder if I'm much of a companion.

That's a lot of surgeries to have in less than a year! Do you feel more tired this time around because it's your second surgery? I hope you have lots of support from friends and family! Please keep in touch and let me know how you're doing.
Feel better!!
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:47 PM

Wow, Brichey, I'm amazed at the extent of your knowledge about your surgery! I asked a lot of questions but I really don't know specifics the way you do. Did your doctor spend a lot of time discussing the details beforehand? I used Premarin cream 18 years ago when I first realized I had a prolapse. It helped, but I guess time, gravity and life have gotten the better of my insides.

I'm glad to hear that the surgery didn't affect your neuropathy. It must have been a big worry for you when you were going into surgery.

Is it typical not to be able to push, pull, bend or lift after surgery? I live in a 2-storey home with no washroom on the first floor so I hope I'm allowed to climb stairs or I'll be a prisoner in my bedroom (or I'll have to use a potty on the main floor )

Will you be going for a rectocele repair in May when you are next seeing your urogyn?

I never realized that so many things could go wrong with our reproductive organs!!!
Unread 04-08-2010, 09:32 PM

I hopefully won't need anymore surgery. The Dr is hoping it won't be an issue. For 7 weeks everything was great. I would like to get like that again. Everything is ok, but not great. My Urogyn explained everything she was going to do and even drew a diagram at the consult. She went over everything again and answered any questions at my pre-op appointment. She likes to take care of her patients and does not use associates, so she is the only Dr I saw. She was always available if I needed anything. I think it depends on your Dr as to what restrictions you have and for how long. I could walk up and down stairs. Also the day of surgery my Dr. and I discussed my wishes before the surgery. I don't know exactly what the colon-rectal Dr did he told me what he was going to do, but did not exactly understand part of it. I did not see him in the hospital after surgery, because he went on vacation. Every time I went for a visit I forgot to ask, because there were other things to discuss and then he pronounced me healed at 7 weeks. His surgery was tougher to recover from than hers, because he left an open wound and it hurt to sit. Having evreything done at once was great though. I think it is better to get your uterus out instead of repaired, because it can't prolapse again. Discuss any restrictions with your Dr before surgery. It will be easier to prepare for your recovery.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.