HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Exactly what healing is happening inside and how long does it take? Exactly what healing is happening inside and how long does it take?

Unread 04-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Exactly what healing is happening inside and how long does it take?

I had a TAH on March 25 and while i feel better, I do wonder exactly what is healing inside? How long does it take? How frail and vulnerable are we? When can i ride my bicycle again??
Unread 04-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Re: Exactly what healing is happening inside and how long does it take?

I found I felt better to do things that I needed to really exert myself around 8- 10 weeks. I believe it takes several months to completely heal.

I think the key is to start out slow with exercise, lifting, pulling and not over do. I remember overdoing and feeling it the next day so I learned to go slow.

There are a lot of stitches inside that need to heal and organs have been removed so it makes sense that the body needs time to heal and get strong even if we feel pretty good.

I would ask the doctor when you can ride your bike.

Unread 04-12-2010, 05:26 PM

Hi SuzyQ,
Thank you for your reply! It is good advice and I need to keep listening to my body and try to be very patient. My physician did say that it will be 10-12 weeks before I really feel like my 'normal' self and I am prepared to go 6 months and longer before I can say the anesthetic is out of me and I am healed inside.
I just am curious about what other women have experienced.
Thank you again.
Unread 04-13-2010, 12:40 PM

Even if you feel fine there are hundreds of stitches inside that need to heal. Most of them should be good by about 6 weeks, some take a little longer. I would still take it easy because any damage you do inside could cause adhesions & it is better safe than sorry. I was not allowed on my bike for 8 weeks-complete pelvic rest. Walks were fine & I did a lot of that. Best wishes to you!
Unread 04-13-2010, 01:07 PM

i just returned from my 4 wk ck up and he said that even tho I had a LAVH that is minimally invasive, he still had to go through the abdominal muscles to get to the uterus, etc. (as tiny as it was, he had to stretch the muscle) Those muscles now have to fix themselves so that is where the little pains under the incision come from when I am overdoing it. Just don't stretch them too much that they end up tearing out the new stuff, ya know. Also where he cuts out the uterus those places that were maybe cauterized have to grow scar tissue and repair themselves...lots of stuff going on inside which takes all our energy away.....
Unread 04-13-2010, 02:20 PM

I had a TAH. Check your surgical report to know what was done. I know they cut through skin, fascia, and muscle to get to the uterus, and all those need to be stitched back up (though my skin was only held by steri strips). I saw the many tiny stitches in my fascia layer through a little opening in my incision once.

Then they remove the uterus and create a vaginal cuff. If they leave the ovaries, those have to heal where they were disconnected from the tubes, etc. In my case, the report says they pulled the right urethra away from the pelvic wall in order to prevent damage from removing the large mass, so that had to heal back up as well, and was very twingy for a while.

Then all your organs down there have been moved around, which makes things sore and a bit upset. They also have to find their new spots.

Plus anesthesia, pain meds, and any problems from before the surgery...

Hope that helps!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.