HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Cervix removed, why Cervix removed, why

Unread 04-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Cervix removed, why

Hi.. I had mine via Davinci. I had my cervix removed, my doctor did not mention having my cervix removed. I thought only my uterus would be removed. Is this common.? When I saw my dr on my 1 week post op he told me and said because I did not need my cervix..
Unread 04-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Re: Cervix removed, why

The cervix is the neck of the uterus. It is not a separate organ. Thus, only your uterus was removed, but the uterus includes the cervix.

The complete uterus can be removed for a variety of reasons. In my case, my endometriosis was affecting the entire uterus, cervix included. It can also be removed because of the surgery type. With some daVinci hysterectomies, the work is done via small incisions, but then the uterus is delivered, in tact, vaginally. Generally, a vaginal delivery of the uterus means the whole uterus is removed because the cervical portion is delivered first. In some cancer cases, the entire uterus is removed in tact to prevent the spread of any stray cancer cells.

I hope this helps! I am so sorry that your surgery was not what you had expected!

Unread 04-11-2010, 06:05 PM

I am sorry your doctor didn't prepare you ahead for what was going to happen in the surgery. Mine was very thorough and told me exactly what he planned to do. I also had mine removed due to endometriosis that had spread throughout bowels, uterus, etc. Hope you are healing well.
Unread 04-11-2010, 06:06 PM

Thank you so much for your reply.

You actually made me feel alot better about having this removed. I know my doctor said now since I do not have a cervix I do not need pap smears. I also wished my dr. would have been more detailed. I asked him over and over what exactly was going to be removed.
Thanks again.
I am new to this site just minutes ago and appreciate everything sisters!
Unread 04-11-2010, 06:40 PM

yeah my dr told my that they always take the cervix to when the take the uterus he says it just causes more problems done the road and then you don't have to worry about it anymore!!
Unread 04-11-2010, 07:11 PM

My doctor gave me a choice. I opted to have it removed just because I didn't want any other problems.

She discussed it with me again the day of surgery.
Unread 04-11-2010, 07:49 PM

My dr gave me the option of removing my ovaries but I didn't even think about the cervix. Mine is now gone, as well. I guess I should just be happy I won't have to worry about annuals anymore. LOL Not much I can do about it now.
Unread 04-11-2010, 09:27 PM

I had a choice to keep mine or take it.
I kept mine, it was what my dr recommended for various reasons.
Sorry you didn't have a choice in it. Maybe your dr didn't think it was an option for you or something. At least you won't have paps anymore!
Unread 04-11-2010, 09:44 PM

I had my surgery due to severe prolapse; it was done vaginally and my cervix was of course removed (it was removing itself without the surgery). However, just because I no longer have a cervix does not mean I don't still need annual exams. I have seen my GYN every year since the surgery and every year she has done a vaginal vault smear, which is what they call a Pap smear after the cervix is removed. After all, it is still possible to get vaginal cancer. It is not common, but I've seen enough women here who had it happen that I will keep having my smears annually as long as my insurance continues to be willing to pay for them, which so far they do.

s,
-Linda
Unread 04-12-2010, 02:38 AM

ok I am confused now, because some people are saying that the uterus and cervix are one unit so when the uterus was removed the cervix automatically goes with it, and other people are saying they still have theirs. I was told that my doc was taking my uterus and tubes but leaving my ovaries and cervix. I was under the assumption I still had my cervix.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.