HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Degenerating fibroid Degenerating fibroid

Unread 04-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Degenerating fibroid

I am scheduled for April 14. Hysterectomy with DaVinci; keeping my ovaries. Have a 7.1 cm degenerating fibroid (sarcomatous?). Am very scared. I don't like going under and I am very worried about aftermath. I have no symptoms. Feeling very trapped. I've seen 5 doctors (2 gyn/onc and 3 gyn) and they all say the same thing. I've known since March 3 but we needed time to get the info and I looked at two doctors before I made the choice. Does anybody know what happens to a fibroid if you just let it degenerate? I read somewhere about chemicals from the degeneration passing into the bloodstream and illness occurring. I've been very achy these past 3 months but that's it.
Unread 04-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Re: Degenerating fibroid

We all know how scared you are...you are not alone that is for sure. I don't know if fibroids degenerate or affect the bloodstream but I do know they do grow larger. Mine is massive. If left untreated, they can cause problems as they have with me.

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery.
Unread 04-12-2010, 02:59 PM

I'm not familiar with that type problem but sounds like the Drs are in agreement. I'm glad you got those 2nd opinions to reassure yourself. I hope you can relax a bit pre op. Best wishes for an easy surgery and recovery.
Unread 04-12-2010, 06:22 PM

My friend just got diagnosed with a degenerating fibroid on the outside of her uterus today. Apparently sometimes the fibroid doesn't get enough blood supply so it starts to "die". The deat tissue releases chemicals that cause pain (hers has been severe for about 4 days). They don't always completely die, though so this process can continue causing pain and then they get better. She said that if it completely dies, it is pretty bad and can make an emergency surgery necessary. I don't know if that helps at all, but wanted to pass on what little I have learned today. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.