HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

abdominal rash :( abdominal rash :(

Unread 04-12-2010, 04:51 PM
abdominal rash :(

just wondering if anyone else has experienced a bad rash on their abdomen (not directly at the site of incision) after TAH? it occured about 5 days after surgery and doesn't seem to be responding to benadryl so my dr. prescribed a topical steroid which i am going to try tonight. my general doctor scared me a little when she told me to watch if it doesn't get better to make sure it is not celluliltis now i am worried by the power of suggestion. has anyone else had anything like this??
Unread 04-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Re: abdominal rash :(

omg!!!!! me too, I have tryed everything, medrol (steriod), cream, clindamycin nothing helps. its so itchy . not sure what cellulitis is?
the dr looked at it and said theres no infection, they did use gue to close the insition I thought it was that
Unread 04-12-2010, 06:47 PM

You might be allergic to what ever they prepped your abdomen with before surgery. If you are sensitive to betadine, or chlorhexadine, it can make a rash that looks like a burn. Your doctor is right, because any rash that is open or weeps can get infected. Just slap on those steroids, and try to let it "air" as much as possible.
Unread 04-13-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo6 View Post
just wondering if anyone else has experienced a bad rash on their abdomen (not directly at the site of incision) after TAH? it occured about 5 days after surgery and doesn't seem to be responding to benadryl so my dr. prescribed a topical steroid which i am going to try tonight. my general doctor scared me a little when she told me to watch if it doesn't get better to make sure it is not celluliltis now i am worried by the power of suggestion. has anyone else had anything like this??
I had this and it went down both legs also;however it didnt really bother me too much.i would say it went away by about the 2nd wek
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:30 AM

I had a red rash on my incision and it turned out to be a yeast infection. I was prescribed Nystatin powder to put on it.
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel yoder View Post
I had a red rash on my incision and it turned out to be a yeast infection. I was prescribed Nystatin powder to put on it.
I had asked my dr if this could be it and she said no, but I still have in the back of my mind that could be it. thanks for lettng me know you could get yeast in this area.
Unread 04-13-2010, 04:30 PM

thanks for the input everyone and yes, juniboop, i talked to one of my surgeons today and she also thinks it is a reaction to what they put on my abdomen to prep me for my surgery. i'm just relieved to know that its not an infection or anything worse, and hopefully the steroid cream will work after a few days. hope yours clears up soon too happypatient!
Unread 04-13-2010, 04:45 PM

lolo6
my rash is spreading on my belly more, is yours? I stopped taking the clindamycin today thinking thats not helping.
Unread 04-14-2010, 02:54 PM

yes mine actually spread on my abdomen and upper thighs for a few days before it subsided. it is still there but with the help of the steroid cream it has calmed down a little today .. not as fiery and red so hopefully within a few days it will disappear altogether. hope yours does too!
Unread 04-14-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo6 View Post
yes mine actually spread on my abdomen and upper thighs for a few days before it subsided. it is still there but with the help of the steroid cream it has calmed down a little today .. not as fiery and red so hopefully within a few days it will disappear altogether. hope yours does too!
Hi lolo6, I'm in desperate need, mine has not calmed down and it is very hard to see the surgeon that did this. dont get me wrong Her work was wonderful and I would be perfect with no problems or pain(feel my old self again) but this darn rash is driving me up the wall!!!!!!! what is the exact name of this steriod cream, I'm taking steriod now by pill form (medrol dose pack) but not helping I think it needs a stronger dose. I have this rash narrowed down to either the glue they used to close the TAH belly insision or it was the chemicals they swaubed on us when they opened me up?
any info would be great I only have a week and a half left bfr I go back to work.
cindy

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.