HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Sleeping on your stomach Sleeping on your stomach

Unread 04-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Sleeping on your stomach

Today I am two weeks Post-Op. I am feeling pretty good.

Do any of the rest of you like to sleep on your stomach? I do. My hips hurt from sleeping on my sides. I do good sleeping on my back, but I sure miss not sleeping on my stomach.

When can I start doing that? Is it okay now?

I've been wondering about it. (I sure don't want to mess anything up.) Thought I would ask you all.

I had a TVH.

Thank you.
Unread 04-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Re: Sleeping on your stomach

I am a tummy sleeper too. I've tried but it is still uncomfortable, so for now I am on my sides... well actually only left side as right side hurts too(?????) and back. My left ear is sore from sleeping on the left side so much! I am only 1.5 weeks post op though.
Unread 04-14-2010, 10:41 AM

hey there.. i sleep on my belly... i have been sleeping on it sence after my sugery..as long as it does not hurt.do it...just be carefully rolling back onto your back...good luck
Unread 04-14-2010, 01:29 PM

I think I started sleeping on my tummy again at about 4 weeks. Wearing my abdominal binder to bed helped and I think for a week or so I kinda pulled one leg and stuck a little pillow under there for extra support. Now at 7 weeks I'm back to sleeping flat on my stomache, something I couldn't do before my surgery. hang in there it will happen soon!
Unread 04-14-2010, 01:37 PM

I'm 4 weeks from recovery. I used pillows everywhere during my recovery. First week of recovery, I had a pillow under my knees to help with my lower back pain. To help sleep on my sides, I would stuff a pillow on my back for support or I would place a pillow in front of my belly to get the effect of having to sleep on my belly without it being flat. My pillows were all types of firmness. Play with different types around your body. Best wishes to you during your recovery!
Unread 04-14-2010, 05:51 PM

i'm 2 weeks post op and as soon as i came home i started sleeping on my stomach... i have 6 davinci laparoscopic incisions, but i'm still vicodin before bed at night.
Unread 04-14-2010, 07:42 PM

I'm a stomach/side sleeper. I have been using a body pillow at night, and I can sleep fine that way on my left. I actually place it under my belly, and wrap my leg around it. I've been sleeping like that since 4 days post-op. Couldn't handle sleeping on my back or sides anymore.
Unread 06-19-2010, 01:55 AM

I just can't stand sleeping on my side(s), as it hurts me (I have an "apron" that pulls on my incision oddly/painfully when I lie sideways). I did, however, start sleeping on my tummy at about 1.5wks out because my hubby was snuggling with me in his sleep. His version of snuggling includes flopping his leg over my tummy, so that was a serious no-go for me! I gently laid myself down on my tummy, and slept like a baby! I've found that I can lay on my tummy, and he can toss his leg over my back and not hurt me.
Unread 06-19-2010, 08:09 AM

krystina,, you find a position that is comfortable and you do sleep so much better..
hope your doing well...
Unread 06-19-2010, 08:42 AM

wow, i've never been able to sleep on my stomach, i don't know how you ladies (and my dh) do it! i even find it hard to lay-out at the beach to get a tan on my back, LOL!

i'm a full-time side-sleeper. was able to get back to this about 3 weeks post-op, after little-by-little "trials" that slowly increased in duration over several days. in fact, couldn't even sleep in a bed comfortably the whole first week. now i'm able to manage a couple hours on each side.

hope you all get comfy soon! someday we won't think about our surgery every time we shift position, asleep or awake!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.