HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Belly button after LAVH Belly button after LAVH

Unread 04-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Belly button after LAVH

I had a LAVH on 4/13. My belly button is oozing stuff, I guess it is pus. It isn't overly red but the stuff gets on my clothing and sheets. I called my doctor and asked if I should put anything on it and they said no just leave it alone. Did this happen to anyone? How long did it last? I must say it is more sore than my other incision.
Unread 04-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Re: Belly button after LAVH

yeah I has a TVH so I did have any cuts on the outside but I do think you should go see a dr soon, It my be a infection in there,I know it's the weekend so maybe you should go to ER tomorrow if it isn't any better,Gook LucK!!
Unread 04-16-2010, 07:05 PM

I had a daVinci BSO and the exact same problem. My Dr took a culture and told me to put neosporin on it. It came back staph infection so I'm using a prescription cream on it now. I preferred to avoid oral antibiotics if possible. Good luck, I'd think a culture would be a good idea. Maybe check again with your Dr.
Unread 04-16-2010, 07:55 PM

I have an appointment Monday for a post op so I guess I will see what he says then. It is kind of gross. Awww. the joys of surgery.
Unread 04-16-2010, 08:53 PM

I had 4 incisions and 3 of them including my belly button were fine. It was the 4th one where I had my c-section bikini cut that is now open again draining fluids with me having it packed everyday. Yeah that was my setback. I had an open pocket that fluids filled up as a size of orange/grapefruit and they had to drain it then recut me open. But I go for my post-op Monday! Hoping they will close me up, I been open for 2 weeks.
Unread 04-16-2010, 10:52 PM

I also had the DaVinci and my bellybutton incision has been causing trouble. I'll spare you my saga, but if you're not supposed to put anything on it, I'd suggest taping one of those menstrual pads you're not using to the inside of your pants or underwear to catch the liquid.
If the skin becomes tight, the discharge green, the incision really sore, starts smelling bad, and/or you get fevers - go to the ER or see your doctor.
Unread 04-17-2010, 12:07 AM

Xythen, that's really helpful. I had laparoscopic surgery 11 days ago. My belly button got a slight infection. My family doctor saw me day before yesterday and has me putting zinc bacetracin in it. He said I don't need oral antibiotics. Its not oozing anymore but I can feel some swelling (like a lump) right below it if I push down on my skin (fat). I assume that's connected to the infection. Anyone have that?
Unread 04-18-2010, 07:01 PM

My doctor instructed me to clean my belly button incision 3 times a day with peroxide. I bought the peroxide in a spray bottle, I would spritz it on and then lightly dab with a cotton ball. Even at my 6 week checkup I was told to continue with the peroxide once daily.
Unread 04-18-2010, 07:26 PM

I had LAVH and my belly button healed faster than the other incision. No drainage at all.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.