HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Unread 04-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Ovarian mass

Hi ladies I already posted this is another section but I think it may be more appropriate for here. I had a trans-vaginal u/s on Friday, as a f/u and a few new symptoms and another u/s that had a spot they wanted to watch/re-check, by Tuesday I was told that I needed to get in to my Ob/Gyn and have surgery on the following Tuesday (the 20th). The U/S found a subtle solid appearing mass on my only remaining ovary, it is half the size of the ovary and has "intrinsic blood flow" to it. I am not sure what all of this means but my dr seemed fairly optimistic that due to my age, although I have a family history, this was most likely not cancer. So the plan at this time is to do the laparscopic opening and then do frozen biopsies while I am under, if it comes back ok then they will only remove the mass, if it appears cancerous then they will switch to a laparotomy and remove the whole ovary. This sounds like a good plan I think as I do not want to be in surgical menopause at 30 if I dont have to be.
My symptoms have been: Increased urination, low back pain, increased pressure, and extreme fatigue. My CA125 was reassuring though my Dr states that in 80% of early OVCA it can be non-existant.
Any thoughts from anyone? I am wondering if any one else has been in this boat and what came of it? Thank you all for listening to me rant. I really appreciate it.
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:53 PM
Re: Ovarian mass

Hi EchoBrandy,

It sounds like your doctor is on track. The only thing I would add is that you should have a consult with a gynecologic oncologist and one should be available during your surgery if your tumor is found to be malignant. Often when there is a low likelihood of malignancy, the obgyn will do the surgery, but there should be gyncologic oncologist ready to step in if the frozen section comes back malignant. A gynecologic oncologist will be able to stage you during the same surgery (removing lymph nodes, omentum and other suspicious lesions) and they have more experience removing cancer and are less likely to spread it through your abdomen when removing the mass.

It wasn't clear from your post about the size of your mass. Usually a mass 5cm or larger is of greater concern for malignancy than smaller masses. You can read more about a gyn/onc and find one in your area by following this link:

http://www.wcn.org/findadoctor/

I was diagnosed with Stage 1a ovarian cancer at 37 and my tumor was 6cm. I had similar symptoms to you and my CA-125 was also elevated. I think you are wise to avoid surgical menopause if yours is benign. Surgical menopause has been really hard for me. Even with the fact that mine came back malignant, I am now almost three years past original diagnosis and I am cancer free. Try not to worry too much. I know it is scary! Even if it is malignant, it sounds like it is small and you are likely to be cured with the surgery. Please be sure to read the info. on women's cancer network and don't be afraid to address the gyn/onc issue with your doctor.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted!
Unread 04-19-2010, 06:48 AM

I would also agree with desertday about the ob/onc. That seems to be the montra around here as ob's aren't always able to address everything that an ob/onc. can.

I was diagnosed with stage 1a ovarian cancer and had a tah, but I was much older (48) and already had my family. Will be praying for a wise decision for you.
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:54 AM

My GYN referred me to a GYN/ONC because of a large (14 cm) complex cyst on my left ovary. My CA 125 was low and because of my age (56) and family history, there was only a sight possibility of a malignancy. But I was very glad to have a GYN/ONC doing the surgery just in case staging and follow up was needed.

I had good news after my surgery...no malignancy!

Hopw all goes well for you!
Unread 04-19-2010, 07:40 PM

I carefully read each reply and am in agreement with all the gals. Good to research, good to ask questions, good to talk, but somehow get a grip on the fear factor.
Nine months ago my husband and I had a very bad motorcycle accident. In the process of tests and evaluation in ER, a "large pelvic mass" was discovered and my internist followed up with a CA-125 and V-US. I had my shoulder surgery first (rotator cuff and bicept muscles had been torn off the bone) and 3 weeks later had a GYN remove my ovaries and tumor. In that 4 hour surgery, the mass was removed, biopsies run and P-cavity wash done. I clearly remember the phone call from the GYN when the pathology report confirming Ovarian Cancer. I had just listened to Whitney Houston sing "I Didn't Know My Own Strength". I started a journal with the words to her song, they kept me strong when I was weak.
I was then referred to an Gyn/Oncologist who 4 weeks later performed the surgery to complete the removal of my cervix, omentum & tubes. In the process of that 5 hour surgery while debulking and staging, my urator was accidentally clipped so a stint was inserted between my kidney and bladder. I got an infection so a 4th surgery was performed to get me fixed up. Fairly extensive hospital stay and recovery, but I'm doing well know. Family support is everything.
The bottom line is without EARLY DETECTION and timely surgeries, I would not have such a positive future. I will see the Oncologist every 3 months for the next 5 years as a precaution, and stay in faith that no rogue cells got away from the original tumor.
My best to you and keep your eyes looking up, "you were not built to break" as Whitney's song says!
Unread 04-20-2010, 07:57 PM

My abdominal pain began in my RLQ during sex and progressively got worse over the next two weeks. I had pain, bloating, and constant pressure that felt as if I was pregnant and the baby was pushing up into my ribs. I went to my GP, who ran a few blood tests and my urine (all clean) and a transvaginal and abdominal ultrasound. The ultrasound showed several fibroid tumors in my utereus, continues poly-cystic ovaries, which I knew, and a small, solid mass on my right and remaining ovary. I was referred to an OBGYN, who TOTALLY BLEW ME OFF! I insisted! I knew something was wrong. So.... the GYN ordered a CA 125 as an afterthougtht. Good thing as my levels are way up, "significantly" elevated per the docs. I was referred to a GYN oncologist.

I will have my hysterectomy on the 30th, when they will complete all the biopsies and washes/stains for the cancer. Not sure of a stage yet, but I will definitely let you know.

I am trying to take each day as it comes, but the pressure is incredible. I have lost quite a bit of weight as I feel full before I even eat. I am TERRIFIED of surgical menopause, even more so than the cancer. Cancer can be cured, menopause if forever. I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from and pray that both yours and mine was caught early. I will definitely be thinking of you!
Unread 04-21-2010, 01:27 PM

I agree that you definitely should have a gyne/onc present during the surgery. Hopefully, they won't be needed!

A note about menopause - it isn't that bad!! My only issues are hot flashes, and those only last 30 seconds or so. I have a few each day - more when I have a lot of caffeine. (but I'm NOT giving up my caffeine!!) I am actually less moody, and more even keeled since my surgical menopause. I also heard the horror stories, and was worried about that aspect. I just hope I can ease your minds a bit about menopause.

Good luck ladies!
Unread 04-23-2010, 04:44 PM

The ca125 is rather inconclusive alone. There are 2 other tests that can help determine malignancy...the HE4 and the OVA1 blood tests. See if u can get those done before your surgery.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.