HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

slow healing vaginal cuff slow healing vaginal cuff

Unread 04-20-2010, 07:16 PM
slow healing vaginal cuff

I went in today for my 6 week post op. I had a TLH with one Ovary left on 3/10. I am feeling good. When the doctor did the internal he said that I am healing very slow. I have to go back in three weeks to see where I am at in healing process. I seem to be having problems with the dissolving stitches not dissolving. I had problems with the disolving stitch in my one incision. He ended up going in and cutting it out. My question for those of you that have dealt with a slow healing cuff what should I expect? How long did it take your cuff to heal?
Thanks for your help!
Unread 04-21-2010, 08:41 AM
Re: slow healing vaginal cuff

I saw my Dr. yesterday for my post surgery check up... a little over 7 weeks out... and was completely healed... so can't help on the slow healing, but you asked how long, so thought I would share.

Good luck and hope you heal soon! Take it easy while it continues to heal.
Unread 06-30-2010, 06:29 PM

Is there anyone out there where slow healing means months instead of weeks? It will be 5 months for me next week. I finally was told my vaginal cuff stitches were healed at 15 weeks and cleared for intercourse. I am NOT healed and continue to have problems and sex is out of the question. Reading forums for advice has become depressing because I don't relate to anyone on these sites anymore. Does this sound familar to anyone or has everyone else given up reading also after a few months.
Unread 06-30-2010, 08:25 PM

I am 5 weeks 3 days post total hyst. Kept both ovaries At 2 week I was able to do more such as walk the dog and had been walking a lot each day plus doing things around the house no pain but was still having some spotting the dr put me on premarin vag cream low dose I started to have a reaction stopped taking went back to the dr at 4 wk and my dr. Said no walking except some around the house it is bed and recliner for 4 weeks. Stitches in vaginal cuff still intacked i have had brown spotting since surg. May 24 And light pink spotting since appointment last Thursday. Rest due to slow vaginal cuff healing. I called the dr today to confirm no walking and the answer didn't change. I have a wonderful husband who has been caring for the children, cleaning, ironing, cooking, and working. He even comforts me when I cry because he has to do everything and I am tired of laying around how long does the cuff take to heal and the dr told me the spotting is normal. Take care everyone
Unread 07-01-2010, 07:58 AM

I am at three months and we had intercourse this week and I started bleeding again... I am another slow healer.

I have had two silver nitrate treatments as well.

My doctor just said I am a slow healer... :sigh:
Unread 07-01-2010, 08:27 AM

tree123, thanks for sharing. oddly, sounds like me -- still spotting lightly here at 5 weeks post-op. the difference is, i did not see doc at 4 weeks. saw her at 2 weeks post-op, but no internal exam. said she did not want to disturb the healing, and she didn't hear anything that concerned her, despite the fact i told her about my spotting. she said it was normal, and not to worry if there was more -- just call her for bright bleeding like a heavy period. well, thank goodness, that's not happened yet. doc did not want to see me again until my 6-week check, and said to go ahead, adding a little more activity each day as i felt ready -- listen to my body. i have 4 kids; yes, the kids help me, but still, i am up-and-going most of each day.

i actually see the doc today, at 5 weeks, 3 days. it was that, or see her at 7 weeks, due to her vacation. i almost changed the appointment, since i'm not feeling like my healing has progressed as quickly as i wish (based on still seeing spotting). then i decided i want her input on how it's going. so we'll see what she says....

hang in there ladies!
Unread 07-01-2010, 09:50 PM

3 months after a revision of my vaginal cuff I still have discharge and had an area of granulation treated with silver nitrate. My original hysterectomy was over a year ago. Slow healer? Yea I'd say that is an understatement.
Unread 07-02-2010, 06:00 AM

taynot, wow, that's a big deal -- thank you for sharing. i can imagine you are ready to put it all behind you. has this caused you continual/residual pain or discomfort, and has it meant you've had restrictions in place all year long? i don't know what a revision is; did your doc literally do another surgery to alter the cuff, or was it done in her office? please don't feel put on the spot, but if you want to share further, we are here to listen. i hope you soon find the ultimate healing that's needed...i guess when we elect this surgery, there's no way to foretell how long our bodies will take to fully recover, but i do hope your procedure has at least resolved the symptoms that brought you to the point of hysterectomy. hang in there!

perennial, baxter, tree, and nellywalker -- thanks for contributing to this thread with your experiences. i hope it won't be much longer before we all continue to see signs of improvment and healing.

i had my check-up yesterday -- good thing i never rescheduled it. doc said it looks like inflammation/infection to the one side of the vaginal cuff. said healing looks like it is progressing -- no granulation yet -- but she put me on cipro, as well as metrogel for bacterial vaginosis. i asked if she could culture it first, but her thinking was to treat first -- culture later, further post-op. that right now it might only come back "polymicrobe," and not specfic enough due to being so close to post-op. something like that. so yuk, heavy round of antibiotics slated to begin today -- 7 days cipro 2x daily, 5 nights of vaginal application of "flagyl" (metronidazole). NOT too excited about this -- i want to get well, but feeling like these antibiotics will just mess up other systems in the process.
Unread 07-02-2010, 03:04 PM

Seeing these last replies to my post from a few days ago brought tears to my eyes. I thought I was the only one. I know most people heal faster and just knowing I'm not alone has helped me so much. I've talked to my surgeons nurse and am going to have a followup pelvic exam in about 2 weeks, and maybe an ultrasound after that.

The blood is bright red and a lot of it. And the nausea is as severe as anything I have ever had.

I've have not had silver nitrate or revision to vaginal cuff. Can anyone tell me if this silver nitrate hurts to have done? Honestly? I'd like to know what I'm agreeing to have done before it happens. I know if thats what they want to do there isn't a choice but I am tired of male drs telling me this will be a "little pinch" and having severe pain.

Again, thanks so much to those of you who shared your ongoing painful struggles to heal.
Unread 07-02-2010, 06:48 PM

has anyone ever had the ph of their vagina tested? i wonder if this could impact the rate at which we heal -- whether or not the bacterial flora in the vagina is properly balanced.

in light of the fact my doc wants me on antibiotics, i looked into this, and went to a healthfood store today to buy a product called "fem dophilus" -- a proprietary probiotic blend by jarrow products. started it tonight, but not expecting a quick fix -- could be a couple months. but i have always had problems with my vaginal health (and no std's); i can't help but wonder if that's what is impacting my slow healing.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.