HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Sick with cough three days before surgery... Sick with cough three days before surgery...

Unread 04-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Sick with cough three days before surgery...

Hey Guys,

I developed what felt like a minor cold yesterday (surgery scheduled for 26th) that got significantly worse last night...basically I ended up having trouble as soon as I tried to lay down to sleep. Once I was laying down I was having trouble breathing (not anxiety, I suffer from anxiety and this was different) and within a few hours I was coughing up brown and green coloured phlegm (sorry if that is TMI) It seems minor...I mean, I feel like crap but we all feel like crap when we get a cold. Often when I get a head cold or sinus infection I do end up coughing up stuff.

However they are having me go out to see my family doctor clinic (which thankfully is connected to the hospital I'm having the surgery at) because they are concerned that it will mean they have to postpone. I'm not in a position where it's do or die if I have the surgery now but I have done all the prep and pre-admit and all that stuff...I'm not sure what to think of this. Is it really dangerous to go in while sick? I'm sure I could fake it like this has gone away, but it's just in the early stages so it seems unlikely to clear by Monday. I'm alone and scared and now I can't stop crying which definitely isn't helping anything...

Thanks!
Kelly
Unread 04-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Re: Sick with cough three days before surgery...

Aww....I am sorry you have a bad cold and it would be such a disappointment to have your surgery postponed. However, it is important that you are in the best health possible going into surgery. You don't want to have a bad cold where you can't breathe as this may cause complications during surgery. Make sure you tell your surgeon and anethesologist so that they can determine if it would be in your best interest to postpone surgery until you are feeling better. In the meantime, get lots and lots of rest.
Unread 04-23-2010, 04:34 PM

Thank you for your kind words.

I just got back from GP and they said that I should be ok..it's all "neck up" at this point and the stuff I'm coughing up appears to be the result of sinus drainage...which sucks but isn't likely to stop the surgery. I've just been instructed to rest and keep up the fluids and if it gets worse they may have to cancel but right now they think they will be able to proceed.

I feel like such a wimp but what worries me the most is the thought of going through the bowel prep for nothing if I'm on the fence with how I'm feeling...for instance if I think they *may* cancel I would hate to show up Monday morning and have them cancel it on me then...

Finally, I think a large part of why I'm sick is because I'm so stressed. I'm not eating or sleeping properly because I just can't calm down about the whole thing, which makes me think that perhaps I should just go out with some friends tonight to get my mind off it. I realize standard care for a cold is rest...but I tried that last night and nearly went crazy! lol Too much alone time to just sit and think about it (if that makes sense)

Ugh...I can't wait until this is all behind me...and you guys have been so great, thank you so much!
Unread 04-23-2010, 05:56 PM

I am glad to hear that you went and discussed this with your GP. You are not a wimp by any means. And I know exactly what you are talking about re: the stress making you sick. I bet that you are right about that cuz stress does harm to us physically. And being alone with your thoughts for too long is not good as I know the effect it has on me as well. So going out with friends is a good idea but if you aren't feeling well, why not just have them come to your place...that way you can rest somewhat. Take care and best wishes on Monday with your surgery.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.