HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long does incision hurt? How long does incision hurt?

Unread 04-27-2010, 08:01 PM
How long does incision hurt?

Am day 9 post-op TAH - walking around the house several times a day. Had the staples out yesterday and now have a few steri-strips. I find the incision still very painful while walking and turning over in bed - not that I can do much of that. Agony if I need to cough.

When can I expect to not be aware of the incision all the time?
Unread 04-27-2010, 08:12 PM
Re: How long does incision hurt?

I would say that in my case, my incision started feeling a lot better when I had my staples out on Day 10 and it seemed to improve after that. It is stlll tender though and a bit numb and the skin looks kind of "delicate".

I started to sleep on my side with a big soft pillow pressed up against my incision around the same time. That helped me sleep much better as I HATE sleeping on my back.
Unread 04-27-2010, 08:31 PM

I would say that I had noticeable incision pain for several weeks. Even after that, it was sore to touch for a few months. It gets better over time but you are still very early at 9 days.

Take care of yourself, time eventually heals all!

Unread 04-27-2010, 08:37 PM

I'm at 3 weeks post-op today. Within the last week my incision has improved greatly. I can move around much more easily and can sleep on my side now (not planning to try to sleep on my belly for quite some time). My belly gets swollen and sore later in the day depending on how much activity I do in a day, but the incision itself feels pretty good. I still don't want to wear any tight clothing-but I have a binder and it feels fine on it.

Just remember-everyone's different. Some people find it to be much more sensitive than others.
Unread 04-27-2010, 09:24 PM

Hi Jasnick,

I am 4 weeks post op and now i consider what was a constant pain to be more of a dull ache, that worsens when i am not rested. I am so much less aware of it this week.

It started to feel better for me around week 3. Still get very tired, but to be expected during our recovery.

I wish you a speedy recovery :-)
Unread 04-27-2010, 10:35 PM

Thanks everyone! I,too, hate sleeping on my back. Managed for the first time yesterday to turn to one side. Each day will be an improvement I hope. After all, when you consider what we have gone through, its not going to be a particularly quick recovery.

Best wishes to all!
Unread 04-27-2010, 10:51 PM

Hi Jasnick,

I too have been wondering the same thing! I'm a chronic side-sleeper so it's been interesting at night. I've been finding that sitting, standing or walking for too long at one time (which is usually only a matter of minutes) creates that oh-so-burning incision pain. When I lay down or place ice on my abdomen the pain will subside but it always returns.

I think in time it will get better, it's just a day by day thing. Best of luck to you in your journey, and to all you amazing sisters out there!
Unread 04-27-2010, 11:08 PM

I'm 4 weeks post op and feeling better I can not ask for more blessing, I started to sleep on my side since the day i get off from the hospital after 4 days, pillows are my friends,first I used a body pillow which i replace to be my DH lol, i put it besides me help to hold my belly, to put my legs on top and i put my arm around it, it gave me a lot of support this firsts days then like after 2nd weeks i changed it for a regular pillow which i use between my legs and smaller one i use every where to help support my belly when i need to turn side, to get off from the bed or when i need space between the seat belt and me or sneezing or coughing
My incision still tender and i can't be standing or seating for too long but i know this is part of the healing prosses
just think that later on we all going to feel wonderfull.
Unread 04-27-2010, 11:11 PM

I'm 4 weeks post op and feeling better I can not ask for more blessing, I started to sleep on my side since the day i get off from the hospital after 4 days, pillows are my friends,first I used a body pillow which i replace to be my DH lol, i put it besides me help to hold my belly, to put my legs on top and i put my arm around it, it gave me a lot of support this firsts days then like after 2nd weeks i changed it for a regular pillow which i use between my legs and smaller one i use every where to help support my belly when i need to turn side, to get off from the bed or when i need space between the seat belt and me or sneezing or coughing
My incision still tender and i can't be standing or seating for too long but i know this is part of the healing proses
just think that later on we all going to feel wonderful.
Unread 04-28-2010, 05:20 AM

I was five weeks post op on Monday from my TAH and I ran the oval at my sons football training today. I feel great! I had a lot of pain in and around my incision for the first 3 1/2 weeks it rapidly improved from there. You really need to take it easy for the first month then start to get back into things from there all going well. It does get better and having no periods is fantasic I still can't believe I don't bleed anymore.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.