HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Trouble with bowel movements after rectocele repair? Trouble with bowel movements after rectocele repair?

Unread 05-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Trouble with bowel movements after rectocele repair?

I had a pro-lift sling, rectocele (grade 2) and cystocele repair, plus TVT done April 21 (it's been 12 days).

I am having a hard time emptying my bowels, it can be right there and it feels like I am not able to push it out properly. I can wait till I'm about to have an accident & then it comes right out, but that's a pretty nerve wracking proposition! I also can't tell when it's just gas. I feel like I'm spending my whole life on the toilet, and with two young children to care for, I can't really do that! It really hurts too.

I had the rectocele for 6-1/2 years and had to splint most of the time, so I'm wondering if that caused my rectum to lose tone or something? Or does this mean the repair didn't work?

I am taking stool softeners, it's not hard or anything.

I have an appointment for my second post-op tomorrow, so I guess I'll find out more then. I just wondered if anybody else had a similar experience and did it get better?
Unread 05-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Re: Trouble with bowel movements after rectocele repair?

I don't mean to scare you, but, I had my anterior prolift removed Mar 31, 2010. I had it placed for a cystocele Oct '09. I had vag erosion, mesh into the bladder, severe pain, a complete nightmare. Did you have an anterior prolift and posterior done too? Did you know that there are 3 FDA warnings about these devices and that the complications are rising daily? I was not told any of this. I am 5 wks post op. These devices are time bombs waiting to cause damage.There are no longterm studies for their safety. I am a nurse and just trusted my dr to do the best procedure, he told me nothing about it, the prolift is probably going to b pulled from the market. The dr that did mine is no longer dong them because of the complications he is seeing. He still failed me by not informing me! I have known women that 2 yrs out have severe problems. I have trouble having a bm, even pain at time. There are so many nerves involved down there that signal the bm to occur, I have to use a liquid glycerin suppository sometimes. My pain is getting better now that I had the stuff removed. The dr could not get all of it out, the arms are too close to nerves in the groin area as well as blood vessels. I would make sure your doctor keeps an eye on that mesh, when I started having trouble, my doctor wanted nothing to do with me! My husband and I have had sex maybe 3 times since Oct '09, very painful. During my 2nd surgery, Dec 15th, for the vaginal erosion, my bladder was puncture, had a catheter for 2wks and a stent in my ureter to prevent it from closing off. Now without the mesh, my bladder is doing fine, it is staying put, apparently I did not need the crap to begin with. I have been violated by my doctor and a procedure that was not needed and is not safe. I wish I had of know all of this!!!
I am hoping to get my life back eventually. Good luck to you, but I would get another opinion and fast. The longer that stuff is in you the harder it is to get out. It looks like fishing line!!! Having talked with many uro gyns now, the stuff does not belong in that part of a women's body, the are is in to close proximity to vital nerves and pelvic structures. Please let me know how you are doing.
I am trying to heal, also had to quit my job due to the pain and bladder, bowel issues.I go back for my 6 wk removal check up May 10th. The doctor I am seeing is just wonderful and very caring. He is writing for medical text books regarding medical mesh, because over half his practice is now removing these meshes from women! I just want more women to know about the warnings, doctors are not letting us know. It is on line, google FDA reports for transvaginal mesh. God bless.

Take care,
Susan
Unread 05-03-2010, 01:00 PM

Thanks Susan. The prolift was for bladder and uterine prolapse. I don't know if the same kind of mesh was used for the 'celes. I did research the prolift beforehand & discussed it with my Doc. She has done 300+ of these and only had two with minor erosion, so I am hoping it's more of the few people who have problems that are coming on the net with these horror stories & you don't hear from the happy people. She told me the success rate without using the mesh was much lower.
Unread 05-05-2010, 10:51 AM

Well, the Doc told me things could still be sluggish from the surgery. She also told me to switch to a bulk-forming laxative & that stool softeners only sort of "grease" things and aren't effective after the first 3 days.

I asked her if my muscles in there could have been weakened by 6-1/2 years of splinting, and she said "definitely."

Things have gotten better in the last few days.
Unread 05-10-2010, 09:20 PM

I was 10 days post op before I had a bm. I hurt so bad I had my mom go get glycerin suppositories. I felt like I was bulging down there. Sitting on the potty was torture. I have never had to splint before but I did the first few times. I am glad to report I have no problems now. I am 5 weeks post op. I hope you get well soon. *HUG*
Unread 05-13-2010, 10:26 AM

How could you splint after a rectocele repair? Didn't you have stitches right there? Ouch!

I never thought I would miss splinting, but it sure made things easier sometimes!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.