HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Will my vagina be tighter? Will my vagina be tighter?

Unread 05-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Will my vagina be tighter?

I am having a LAVH on May 26 as well as cystocele repair, mild rectocele repair and urethracele repair. (Mesh sling) My obgyn will be performing everything but the mesh sling which is going to be performed by a urogyn. I am getting differing information. The more I think about it, the more confused I am. I asked my obgyn about whether or not this will cause my vagina to be tighter because I feel like this is an issue for me and my bf. She said that she doesn't think its a good idea to tighten it because then it can be to tight which makes sex painful. I thought that just fixing everything was going to tighten my vagina as the urogyn said this. If it won't tighten anything, I need to re-examine things because I want everything to be normal again. I can tell by just looking that things need to be tightened. Help. Surgery is getting closer and I want to be sure of the outcome. Please, anyone who has had this done, what was the result? Should I ask to have them do whatever else to ensure its tighter?
Unread 05-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Re: Will my vagina be tighter?

I'm so glad that you asked this question!! I would like to know the answer to this also. My doctor told me we can address this issue after surgery...if it's still an issue. Will it be tighter with a TAH?
Unread 05-09-2010, 04:21 AM

Doesn't that seem silly to discuss after? Seems like if they are already in there, they should do everything at once. I am having mine due to severe prolapse so to me it would make sense that it needed tightening because of lax vaginal muscles. After going through all this, it will just add to the devastation if it doesn't help my sexual function. I know if its not pleasurable for me, it definitely can't be for him either. Sex hurts now but because of the cervix is so low that it hits it, so that's due to length. That has zero to do with the loose part. Its depressing.
Unread 05-09-2010, 07:57 AM

Hi ladies
I haven't had my surgery yet, but my Gyn says that my rectocele will be fixed first and then he will do hyster. After that, while I'm under, he will check to see if he can fix cystocele because he will not fix it if I will be left "not big enough".
He has even told me that I may never be able to have the cystocele fixed for that reason.
Based only on this information, I would say the repairs do make you tighter.
Hugs,
Suzanne
Unread 05-09-2010, 09:03 AM

If your doctor said they are doing a repair to the anterior and posterior vaginal wall, which is a way of repairing the Cystocele and Rectocele then yes, your vagina will be tighter, what degree is hard to say. The mesh sling will be on your bladder. They occasionally do mesh on the vag wll but my doc said not very often anymore they do a vertical incisionand pull the skin tight and remove the excess when its an Anterior repair thats the cystocele and its in the front Posterior is for rectocele and thats the back side. urethrocele is the urethra and thats kinda worked into the bladder sling stuff. So to answer your question, yes it will be tighter, just not sure how much.
Unread 05-09-2010, 12:56 PM

My obgyn has not been real specific about how she will do things. She said repair, nothing about a mesh for the bladder. It is my fault for not writing down my questions before going to my last appointment. I trust her, she obviously fears making me too tight, but I truly don't want to go through all this and still not be able to enjoy sex. She is going to fix the labia which is messed up due to tearing with my first born. (He was huge, 9lbs 14oz) She is basically doing a reduction on the one side. She also said that she wouldn't do anything else to the outside. I am disappointed because since 9 years ago I have not been the same down there. I am embarrassed of the way it looks and how loose it is. I just want to be like I was prior to babies. Insurance is paying for this and I am sure they won't approve surgery a second time. I really appreciate the responses ladies. It is so good to have support and people who understand what I am going through. I feel as though my family, friends, bf just don't get it.
Unread 05-09-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regs76 View Post
My obgyn has not been real specific about how she will do things. She said repair, nothing about a mesh for the bladder. It is my fault for not writing down my questions before going to my last appointment. I trust her, she obviously fears making me too tight, but I truly don't want to go through all this and still not be able to enjoy sex. She is going to fix the labia which is messed up due to tearing with my first born. (He was huge, 9lbs 14oz) She is basically doing a reduction on the one side. She also said that she wouldn't do anything else to the outside. I am disappointed because since 9 years ago I have not been the same down there. I am embarrassed of the way it looks and how loose it is. I just want to be like I was prior to babies. Insurance is paying for this and I am sure they won't approve surgery a second time. I really appreciate the responses ladies. It is so good to have support and people who understand what I am going through. I feel as though my family, friends, bf just don't get it.
Well your likely getting a mesh bladder sling and an A&P repair but thats my guess. ALL 5 of my babies were over 9lbs the smallest 9lb 4oz and the biggest was 10lb 1oz, so I can agree big babies tear ya up! Thats what has everything in me a mess, except the cancer cells and the fact that I had painful periods before ever having kids most of my repairs are due to damage from childbirth and pregnancy. You still have time to call your doctors office and ask to at least speak to a nurse they can tell you exactly what the doc has down to do. You may even be able to call your insurance company, I'm sure they got an approval so they would know the procedures too.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.