HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Complex hyperplasia with atypia Complex hyperplasia with atypia

Unread 05-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Complex hyperplasia with atypia

I had cryoablation two weeks ago for heavy, painful periods. The same day of the procedure my doctor did a biopsy. I had a biopsy 14 months prior that was totally fine. However, I got a call last week that this biopsy came back as complex hyperplasia with atypia. Therefore, the doctor is recommending a partial hysterectomy (uteris only). I am feeling pretty overwhelmed. I am thinking the cryoablation was for nothing. I am wondering if they should have done the biopsy earlier, and I should have received the results before they did the cryoablation which I assume they would not have done. Either way, I still have complex hyperplasia with atypia which the doctor says it is very rare for someone my age (44) and weight (132). But the biggest problem is the atypia cells. Everything I read says there is a 20-30% chance of the cells becoming cancerous. I am not sure if I should get a second opinion because it doesn't seem like I really have a choice. My doctor also said he would be able to do a vaginal hysterectomy. Sorry for such a long thread but would like to hear from others with the same condition. Thanks!
Unread 05-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Re: Complex hyperplasia with atypia

Hi luvs2travel,

Yes, I would suggest you get a second opinion from a gynecological oncologist, since you this is a pre-cancerous condition. If you do choose to have a hysterectomy, the gyn/onc should probably be the one to do the surgery.

I also have this dx -- I am 38 and very petite, so I'm unusual too. At the suggestion of my doctors, I am treating it with hormones (first Provera, now Mirena IUD), which has thus far been successful. My gyn/onc felt very strongly that I don't need a hysterectomy at this point (although probably eventually). However, he also said that if I were mid-40s, he would be recommending that I have one now (he feels that there is a possibility that I still may have children, since I am a bit younger). I also know that the majority of women do choose to have a hysterectomy.

Sorry you are going through this, I know it is very scary! If you take a look through the Cancer Cocerns forum, there are several women who have or have had this diagnosis. You can do a board search also. Good luck and please let me know if you have any questions.
Unread 05-17-2010, 01:47 PM

Hi,
I am so sorry you are having to deal with this new diagnosis after going through your ablation. You may want to consider getting your second opinion from a gyn-oncologist. I have had a similar experience in the last few weeks but I am a little further along the journey. I was considering the ablation vs hysterectomy for ongoing bleeding. I had a endometrial biopsy which showed complex hyperplasia atypia. So then I had D&C which showed grade I endometrial cancer. I was shocked (still am) to say the least. I will be having a total hysterectomy/BSO in the hopefully near future (slight delay due to insurance stupidity). I am 47 so not much older than you (though a bit overwieght and a history of PCOS to increase my risk factors). Please be aggressive in your follow-up testing and make sure you look at all your options so that you can have the best outcome for you. There are a ton of resources on this website, not to mention all of the lovely support from the ladies here. Good luck with everything
---------
47 yo PCOS, ongoing bleeding
4/2 endometrial biopsy results complex hyperplasia atypia
4/21 D&C results grade I endometrial adenocarcinoma
hysterectomy/BSO some day soon
Unread 05-17-2010, 08:47 PM

Hi there. I had the same diagnosis. It was very scary for me and I couldn't believe it. I was 40 at the time. I guess I should have known as I have had bleeding issues for years and am overweight which causes an overproduction of estrogen and thickening of the uterine lining which contributes to abnormal cell growth.

But, surprise or no surprise it was hard to accept. My OB/GYN said a hyst was my only option and he sent me to a GYN ONC who agreed. He said that cancer was inevitable (if it weren't already there) and that I would have 2 good years left if I didn't have surgery. Needless to say, it was very upsetting.

I don't have enough medical knowledge to support this so it's my opinion only but have you asked your doctor about going ahead and removing everything? My doc said that it was necessary to do so to prevent growth of cancer cells elsewhere. Just something to consider.

While I was terrified of surgery and cancer, I do not regret the surgery at all. All of the abnormal cell growth was contained in my uterus and the doc said I don't need to worry about cancer now. A huge relief.

The recovery from a hyst is painful and a definite struggle but I'm glad I made the choice. I hope you find peace about whatever you decide and that everything goes well for you.

Best wishes!
Unread 05-18-2010, 08:20 AM

Hey, sweetie!

I also strongly recommend getting that second opinion from a gyn/onc. They are the experts for gyn cancer/pre-cancers, and you certainly want the best where your health is concerned.

monami
Unread 06-30-2010, 09:31 AM

I also just had a complete adominal hysterectomy on06/22/10 for complex hyperplasia atypical cells
I am 47 and not overweight
the pathology came back today and I had class 1, they got everything out
my journey was abnormal bleeding,
90 days of progesterine, d & c and
then the hysterectomy.

Everthing happened quickly, the orginal biopsy showed only complex hyperplasia not atypical after the hormones three months later it showed atypical and then the d&c one month later got everyone scared about cancer
hyterectomy and I am stage 1
just don't know how quickly it changes and spreads

good luck I am in recovery and very happy to catch this early on
don't take too much time it does not go away by itself

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.