HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Recovery for my total abdominal Hysterectomy Recovery for my total abdominal Hysterectomy

Unread 05-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Recovery for my total abdominal Hysterectomy

Hello ladies,I had a total abdominal Hysterectomy,on April 30,2010 and its been almost 2 weeks in a half.and I still in pain and its hard to walk. everytime I walk my lower abdominal hurts.even when i lay in bed also.i get alot pain in my back ,my thighs and on my lower right side of my abdominal.how long will it takes for a full recovery?
Unread 05-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Re: Recovery for my total abdominal Hysterectomy

Hang in there...i didn't have abdominal but you are still early on...full recovery like completely back to normal may take months...much improved i'd expect 6-8 weeks if you have no complications. Also everyone heals differently so at this point walk as much as you can and REST REST REST in between! Are you taking your pain meds on schedule and alot of ladies with the adominal surgery like the support band thingy. I'm sure you will get some better replies but know that you are not alone! Hugs and prayers!
Unread 05-18-2010, 03:02 PM

I had my TAH on March 31st, so I'm about 7 weeks post-op. Like you, when I was 2 weeks post-op I was wondering how long it would take before I felt any better. I can honestly say that for me my 4-5 week was a huge turning point for me. Now that I'm 7 weeks out I'm now wearing jeans (I wear the belly support panties and that makes a big difference).
Even now, I occasionally feel a little pain and a stinging sensation but I'm doing so much better --- and you will too. Hang in there. It DOES get better.

Best,
J
Unread 05-18-2010, 04:09 PM

This is pretty normal for being 2.5 weeks out. You are still very early in your recovery after abdominal surgery. I know it's hard, but you need to be patient with yourself It's major surgery. I remember feeling like you and wondering if I would ever be able to walk normally again. But you really will get past this. Please rest and do everything that your dr tells you. Take it as easy as you can!
Unread 05-18-2010, 04:30 PM

I am now on 5 weeks post op and yes the first 2 weeks were tough but I can now say that I am glad I did it. Other than fatigue I feel incredible...no more bloating, pain or bleeding...hang in there sis...you will be fine!
Unread 05-18-2010, 05:43 PM

Week 4 was the turning point for me - being able to sleep on my side again, gas pains abating, BM's under control, bladder function improving to the point where I am no longer getting up every 2 hours at night. Still have incision soreness when I move and when sitting upright . So I recline and rest a lot.

Good luck with your recovery and remember to be patient. Don't force things - they will happen with time.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.