HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Primogyn  - same as Estrace?? Primogyn - same as Estrace??

Unread 05-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Primogyn - same as Estrace??

Does anyone know if Primogyn is the same as Estrace?

After reading about Estrace on the forums, I thought I would try using it vaginally (the pill, not the cream). I'm in the Uk and my GP doesn't want to hear a thing about HRT other than writing me a prescription for Premarin, so I basically am on my own. I ordered Estrace online -- and received a box of 1mg. tablets of Primogyn instead.

A bit of online research hasn't really helped. The writing on the box is in Spanish, and it says "valerato de estradiol 1.00 mg", so I think it's the same thing, but would love some reassurance!!!

Many thanks.
Unread 05-19-2010, 08:09 AM
Re: Primogyn - same as Estrace??

It is the same thing. Good luck and please let me know how it works for you.
Unread 05-19-2010, 08:31 AM

Actually it's not the same thing. Primogyn is estradiol valerate - estradiol stabilized for oral use with the valerate molecule. Estrace is micronized estradiol alone. The micronized version is what some of the ladies here have been using vaginally. That definitely can be used either vaginally or transbuccally (dissolved between the cheek and gum). I don;t think anyone knows if estradiol valerate will work the same way.
Unread 05-19-2010, 12:24 PM

Thanks very much. That is so disappointing!!! I'm sure it's b/c I ordered it online, but I don't have any other option.

I'm going to see if I can get my money back tomorrow,or better yet, to see if they will send me the actual Estrace.

Sigh - it's taken almost two months to get this stuff. More rotten Premarin for me.

Thanks again for your quick reply.
Unread 05-19-2010, 12:27 PM

When you contact the company and ask about Estrace - if you plan to try it vaginally then ask for much smaller dose. Those of us who use it vaginally (tiny portions of tablet) use 0.5mg Estrace tablets as they're DYE - FREE and therefore less likely to irritate sensitive tissues. The other strengths have dye added.
Unread 05-19-2010, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the advice! I've sent an email to the company and crossed my fingers....
Unread 05-20-2010, 12:15 AM

Well, the company says that they will refund my money "if you return it" (haven't yet figured out if they will pay for shipping).

Really annoying - the photo on the website shows Estrace, and my invoice says Estrace. I suppose that's what happens with online pharmacies, but I don't know how else to buy it here in the UK.

Any suggestions?? I realize i need a prescription (and for that I guess I need a consultation) - but not sure how to get one here in the UK!!!!

This is so frustrating....

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.