HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Help for post operative fatigue Help for post operative fatigue

Unread 05-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Help for post operative fatigue

I am at 3 weeks and 4 days post op for rectocele cystocele bladder sling repair. I had energy the first week, but now I feel as though I am made of silly putty, I just seem to want to crawl in slooooow motion. I felt like there was something my body needed it wasn't getting.

So then I started searching the internet for fatigue and surgery and came upon several studies documenting the fact that debilitating post op fatigue that sometimes persists for as long as a year post op is common with abdominal surgeries, but not so with other types of surgeries. Going further, I found a site that brought up studies for a substance that used to be classed as a drug that was given to patients for the express purpose of combating post surgical fatigue during the 1960's. It wasn't a drug, it was a supplement, and since it couldn't be patented, its use was abandoned. In trials, this substance was given to a number of post op patients suffering from fatigue. In 90 % of cases, complete relief from fatigue occurred, in some patients in as little as three days time. It was found that the supplement didn't need to be taken forever, either. Most patients were able to discontinue using it in a month or so after full strength returned.

The supplement is called potassium magnesium aspartate, and is sold over the counter and online. It is inexpensive and well tolerated. It has to be the aspartate form to work for fatigue.

I found some today at GNC and am being a guinea pig. I will report back in a week and let you know if it is working for me. I took some at lunch, and this is the first afternoon in 25 days I haven't spent lying down. It is too early to know for sure if it really works, but...the thoughts of spending several more weeks lying down with the energy of a slug....

Just thought I would like to share this information....
Unread 05-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Re: Help for post operative fatigue

Let us know how it works, I'd like to know.
Unread 05-21-2010, 11:35 PM

I will be going to get some as well. I don't mind being a 'guinea pig'...my main symptom at 6weeks post op is nearly debilitating fatigue. There are days or parts of days that are fine, then I will be so overcome with fatigue I hardly know what to do.
My best to you as you try this "new" supplement. I pray for both of our sakes that it works....what a wonderful miracle that could be!
Unread 05-22-2010, 07:06 AM

Within an hour of taking this stuff, (I started with three of the 250 mgs, what I read said start with four, but I thought less might be more in this case), I could feel my energy beginning to come back. Yesterday, my first full day on the supplement, was also my first full day of being able to be back at work! I am a self employed full time oil painter, and up until yesterday I hadn't been able to even sit up for more than an hour without exhaustion. I worked from 7 am until 6pm with no more than a lunch break and a 30 minute lying down afterwards. AMAZING. So I am doing two 250's x 3 today...I read that full restoration of energy takes three days...wow, it feels so good to be able to function again.

So, I will report back again!
Unread 05-22-2010, 11:25 AM

I will definitely purchase some of that. I "guinea pig" myself too. It's great to hear it helped so quickly.
Unread 05-26-2010, 08:14 AM

It has been four weeks and two days since my surgery, and five days since I started the PMA. My energy is almost completely back now. I went all day yesterday with no need for a nap, or even a lying down spell. I think I must have been low on potassium all the time because I am feeling better than I have in ages. So, to sum up, for me, the debilitating fatigue I had post TVT posterior anterior repair and rectocele repair that lasted for three weeks and four days was almost completely and immediately relieved after I started taking the supplement Postassium Magnesium Aspartate, GNC brand. Woo Hoo, is my final summation of the whole thing. Now I feel so good I can jump up and down, and I won't pee all over myself doing it!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.