HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Vaginal Atrophy and Vaginal Lichen sclerosis Vaginal Atrophy and Vaginal Lichen sclerosis

Unread 05-20-2010, 08:02 PM
Vaginal Atrophy and Vaginal Lichen sclerosis

I was recently diagnosed with Vaginal Lichen sclerosis and I already had vaginal atrophy to the point that intercourse is impossible. I've tried Vagifem and now am on Premarin cream twice weekly. My problem is that I can't even insert the aplicator to use the vaginal cream. I can't even insert a finger past the second joint. I called my DR and she said to just keep using the vaginal cream by inserting as far as I can. Shouldn't I be examined? It seemed as though she thought I was exagerating the condition.

I'm in such horrible pain that sitting, peeing, pooping and sex all hurt horribly bad. I would like any advice you can give me.
Unread 05-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Re: Vaginal Atrophy and Vaginal Lichen sclerosis

Bones -

There is one recommendation for a course of treatment that includes clobetasol to get any LS outbreaks under control. From there a combo rotation of testosterone and estrogen to help the tissues heal and build up.

You can check out information from Dee Troll, she has had LS for a long-time and it may provide you with information to discuss with your Dr.

I use Estrace and a compounded testosterone.

You should be examined preferably by a Dr. that is familiar with how to treat LS.

G.
Unread 05-21-2010, 08:47 AM

I'm having a hard time navigating the site. Is the information from Dee Troll on this site? If so where do I need to go to find it?
Unread 05-21-2010, 08:57 AM

Bones -

I don't think Dee's informatin is in our resources database yet. I'll have to check on that.

I will see what information I can get you.

Has your Dr. done any type of biopsy to confirm LS? I had a punch biopsy done of my vulva and that was what confirmed it.

G.
Unread 05-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Angry - Vaginal Atrophy and Vaginal Lichen sclerosis Re: Vaginal Atrophy and Vaginal Lichen sclerosis

I actually had the biopsy done in my mouth. Both ends flared up at the same time. The biopsy in the mouth was positive for lichen planus/sclerosis. Things are just falling apart. I can see what this stuff is doing to the inside of my mouth and gums, I can only imagine what is doing inside my v. All I know is this only makes the vaginal atropy worse. A visit to the GYN is horrible, she cannot use the speculum (sp) or even examine me properly.
Unread 05-22-2010, 11:38 AM

Bones -

You are so right that it a terrible condition.

I don't know if mine started after my hysterectomy due to the hormonal changes from the BSO / surgical menopause or not but luckily a uro-gyn caught it really early for me.

It is an auto-immune condition that they believe is partially genetic and also related to hormones in some way. It is more common in menopausal women and if young girls get it the symptoms abate when they start menstruation.

Sounds like you definitely need to find someone who knows LS.

Wonderful news I just found out that Dee has a new website that references materials and the LS support group. Here's the Living with LS website.

There are also a few items in the Resourcese forum for AutoImmune disorders

G.
Unread 05-23-2010, 09:24 PM

Bones -

One other thing I meant to mention for me I have found Eucerin itch relief lotion and Eucerin non-fragrance, non-soap cleanser to be life savers.

Of course both of these are for external symptoms but they have helped me alot. If you have nut allergies I don't think you can use the cleanser.

G
Unread 01-24-2011, 04:59 PM

I'm reading all this & getting ideas. Have had LS for two years. I want to be intimate with my husband again but it is very uncomfortable. My many contact dermatitis allergies prevent the use of nearly all lotions, etc.
Unread 01-24-2011, 05:02 PM

We have at least one resource on LS in our autoimmune resources.

Autoimmune resources

My case was caught very early but I know of others who have found relief and ways back to intimacy after very severe cases.

G.
Unread 01-24-2011, 05:06 PM

Thank you. I hope I will be among them too!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway