HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

also......anyone tried the topically applied testerone cream? also......anyone tried the topically applied testerone cream?

Unread 10-15-2001, 02:20 PM
also......anyone tried the topically applied testerone cream?

any suggestions on this topic??
Unread 10-15-2001, 02:34 PM

I use it. What do you need to know?
Unread 10-15-2001, 03:25 PM

thanks ... is there 2 kinds?one that goes with the regular estrogen cream and one that gets applied topically to your clitoris area?
Unread 10-15-2001, 03:33 PM

Well, I use a compounded prescription for natural Testosterone cream and I apply it once a day to the inside of my wrists, although there are some doctors who recommend it be applied vaginally on the OUTSIDE. I frankly don't see the point since I need the Testosterone for "desire", not to increase a feeling vaginally. My equipment works fine, I just lost all desire after the surgery.

Does that answer your question? I only know of one kind. I also use compounded natural estrogen and progesterone. You can also get Testosterone shots, and let me tell you, those babies really work!! :eyes:
Unread 10-15-2001, 07:17 PM

my gyn said you tend to get hairy and oily and lose hair from too much.im losing hair anyway so that didnt sound too good.she said to apply it topically to clitoris area.??im also on natural estrogen cream and put that on my theighs.
Unread 10-16-2001, 03:52 AM

Gosh, none of that happened to me! Oh, wait, my lower arms (where I rub in the cream) have grown a bit more hair, but I'm not losing hair and I'm not oily.
Unread 10-16-2001, 04:29 AM

Sumatra,
The key to any hormone is to get the proper balance. Yes, if you get too much testosterone you can have side effects. If you get too much estrogen there's also side effects. I used the compounded testosterone cream about a year ago and loved it, I had no unwanted side effects from it.

Do remember we are all different so we each may have a different experience with any hormone. However, I do feel the compounded testosterone is much safer than the synthetic variety.
Unread 10-16-2001, 05:06 AM

what about the different kinds?my gyn doesnt know much about compounded creams but she said they had one that only was applied topically to your vaginal area.but then there is the one they mix in your estrogen cream.she said the topical one doesnt give you benefits such as more zip and energy.it only works on that area.i dont get it!
Unread 10-16-2001, 05:21 AM

Sumatra,
When I was using the compounded testosterone cream my instructions were to apply it to the vulva. I got lazy one day and I applied it to my wrists. I did still experience the energy surge. I did not notice any difference.

JMHO I would hesitate to mix your estrogen and testosterone in to one cream. While there are some who prefer to take their hormones this way, it does make it much more difficult to adjust.

Do you have a compounding pharmacist? If not this site will help you locate one www.iacprx.org I would recommend talking to a compounding pharmacist who can assist you in talking with your doctor about the compounded hormones. They usually have information packets that you can give to your doctor.
Unread 10-17-2001, 12:26 AM
using testosterone cream...

I am 7 months post op TAH/BSO and started using the cream about a month after my surgery. Initially my compounding pharmacist said to apply it once a day to my inner thigh, rotating each day. She said not to put it directly on the vulva or clitoris. I never had any excess hair growth, but did notice some oily skin and pimples on my forehead and then after about two months I did notice my clitoris enlarging a bit...it was tender too, so she said to cut my dose from every day to three to four times a week and that side effect went away thank goodness. The oily skin cleared and extra pimples cleared up for the most part too.

I have to say that the natural compounded testosterone cream has been wonderful for restoring my sexual desire and has helped my orgasms to return as well. A couple other very nice "effects" have been my increased energy level and the brain fog lifing. I'm sure the estrogen and progesterone are helping those as well. I have switched from the estradiol patch (Vivelle Dot) to the Tri-est capsules just recently. Plain estradiol was just too strong for me. I had a terrible time with water retention and intense cravings for sweets, candy, UGH. I tried tri-est in cream form, but wasn't absorbing it very well and have been having a hard time with headaches. So....hopefully things will settle down in a few weeks. I'm currently using the compounded progesterone cream, but might be switching to the compounded progesterone in capsule form. I try to only switch around one hormone/dose change at a time. Just thank the Lord that there's Zoming available for my migraines!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.