HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Is it safe to take a laxative? Is it safe to take a laxative?

Unread 05-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Is it safe to take a laxative?

Okay, ladies. It's been 1week and 1 day since my surgery and I FINALLY just had a, what I would call, a normal bowel movement! Last Friday, I finally had the "urge" to perform the act with very little success. I have been taking stool softeners since the surgery(Dr. recommended of course), but I was only taking 2 a day. I think I finally upped it last Thursday, because I started having a lot of rectal pressure. So instead of 2, I started taking 4. This however, did not seem to make any difference. Long story short, since Friday I had been making every effort to "go" and was able to, just not entirely.

So, even though I finally have the relief now(by the way did not take any laxatives-except for the stool softner), Am I out of the woods yet? Is the suffering going to pursue again? If so, can I take a laxative if I lost all hope?
Unread 05-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Re: Is it safe to take a laxative?

This soon after surgery it is not a good idea to use a laxative unless instructed to do so by your physician. Call your doctor's office and share what is going on and ask what the best course of action would be for you.

Unread 05-25-2010, 11:29 AM

Hi, I can relate to your troubles! I am almost 2 weeks Post Op and have had similar issues...rectal pressure, spasms, feeling the need to go and then only producing a small "nugget" for my efforts! I have cut back on pain meds, just taking once or twice a day instead of every 4 hrs. and this has helped tremendously! Last two days I have been almost back to normal. Hang in there.
Unread 05-25-2010, 01:12 PM

I am Two weeks Post-OP I know what your talking about i couldnt use the restroom for a week but then my Grandmother told me to drink Prun Juice and it worked so well that i stopped takeing the stool softners cause they were not doing the JOB if you know what I mean so you should try it....Good Luck!
Unread 05-25-2010, 01:25 PM

Pain meds are usually narcotics of some sort and are extremely constipating. I've been taking stool softeners twice daily, two tablets each time. I've also been drinking more water (almost a gallon per day) as well as eating more fruits such as apples, pineapple, and peaches. I've also made sure to eat foods such as oatmeal, cream-of-wheat, and baby carrots. I really like cheese, but I've limited that as well because it does tend to block the flow. One day about 2 weeks post-op I accidentally took a laxative instead of my stool softener (went by bottle size/shape because I wasn't wearing my glasses) and the results weren't nice.

I haven't tried the prune juice, but I've seen where several sisters say it works great.
Unread 05-25-2010, 01:50 PM

My surgery was last Wednesday, and I too had difficulty having a bowel movement. It finally came this morning!! To get the colon to move, yesterday I had lentil soup, fruits (pears), prune juice, and yogart. I also started walking more, and drinking tons of water. I still have the annoying gas and nausea though....hopefully this will also go away soon. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Unread 05-25-2010, 02:16 PM

I had the same problem when I was that far along after surger. My Dr. recommened the stool softner and she said if that did not help to try an innama. (sorry if I did not spell that currectly). That will help the pressure as well.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.