HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Estrogen Dominance? Estrogen Dominance?

Unread 05-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Estrogen Dominance?

Estrogen Dominance?

I had my hysterectomy almost 3 years ago. My dr. has me on 2 of the .1 Vivelle dot patches (so .2 total changed twice weekly). I have been exhausted and having a lot of headaches. I finally started progesterone to balance it out a few weeks ago and started to feel better. Yesterday I was feeling pretty good, then today I feel terrible again. I realized I put on the new patches today. I wonder if I am getting too much estrogen? I took off a patch (I know... too much too fast) so see what happens...
Unread 05-25-2010, 07:08 PM
Re: Estrogen Dominance?

Have you tried working with your Dr on this? That's a lot of changes, and a pretty big estrogen drop all at once. I'm guessing you worked your way up to that dose, so may not feel so good on such an abrupt change. It takes time to see how things work. Before things get too out of whack, why not see if your Dr can help with this? Good luck, hope you feel better soon.
Unread 05-25-2010, 07:51 PM

It was my dr who took me from .1 to .2 without anything in between and I didn't seem to have a problem then, so I am hoping for the best now. I also recently had my thyroid removed and am dealing with regulating those hormones as well. I do have a wonderful holistic endocrinologist now who I will see in two weeks and I will talk to him about the whole thing... he was the one who insisted I add in progesterone and he was right.
Unread 05-25-2010, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the encouragement
Unread 05-25-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersus View Post
It was my dr who took me from .1 to .2 without anything in between and I didn't seem to have a problem then, so I am hoping for the best now. I also recently had my thyroid removed and am dealing with regulating those hormones as well. I do have a wonderful holistic endocrinologist now who I will see in two weeks and I will talk to him about the whole thing... he was the one who insisted I add in progesterone and he was right.
If your thyroid is not balanced, it's near impossible to balance the other hormones. I'm assuming you might have been hyperthyroid and that might be why you needed more estrogen. If your thyroid has been removed and you're now replacing the thyroid hormones, then you will likely need less estrogen if you're keeping thyroid levels lower than before.

Always first get thyroid balanced, then estrogen, then progesterone. Progesterone does help with the estrogen and thyroid hormones competing for binding sites. A difficult journey and I hope you get everything balanced soon. I noticed an immediate difference when adding estrogen to thyroid meds when I didn't use progesterone. With progesterone, things seem to improve.
Unread 05-25-2010, 08:25 PM

Wow... I had no idea that going from extremely hyperthyroid to hypothyroid (now that my thyroid is gone) would impact my estrogen that way. It all makes perfect sense now. Thank you so much for the WONDERFUL information!!! We are getting closer and closer on the thyroid balance... what a roller coaster all of this is!
Unread 05-25-2010, 09:38 PM

Good luck with the thyroid, then it should be easier to balance the rest. Too bad this stuff all takes so long to get straight.
Unread 05-26-2010, 05:00 AM

Thanks!
Unread 05-26-2010, 05:05 AM
Help... too fast?!?

I need some help/advice! My dr. decided the majority of my symptoms are coming from estrogen dominance. He first put me on transdermal, compounded progesterone which seems to be working great. Then he took me from .2 Vivelle (yes, 2 .1 patches at the same time) to one .1 patch. I know this is a HUGE jump, but this is the same guy who took me from .1 directly to .2. I took off one of the patches yesterday afternoon so last night was my first night at just .1. I didn't have night sweats, but I was up all night. Is it possible that it is from the huge jump? I will say I have more energy (although a nervous type) this morning than I have had in a long time. I am so impatient that I don't want to have to taper down and am inclined to stay at .1 and "tough it out". I am just so desperate to feel better. Any ideas? Help!
Unread 05-26-2010, 05:09 AM
Re: Help... too fast?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersus View Post
I need some help/advice! My dr. decided the majority of my symptoms are coming from estrogen dominance. He first put me on transdermal, compounded progesterone which seems to be working great. Then he took me from .2 Vivelle (yes, 2 .1 patches at the same time) to one .1 patch. I know this is a HUGE jump, but this is the same guy who took me from .1 directly to .2. I took off one of the patches yesterday afternoon so last night was my first night at just .1. I didn't have night sweats, but I was up all night. Is it possible that it is from the huge jump? I will say I have more energy (although a nervous type) this morning than I have had in a long time. I am so impatient that I don't want to have to taper down and am inclined to stay at .1 and "tough it out". I am just so desperate to feel better. Any ideas? Help!
I should have added that I had a complete hyst incl. ovaries about 3 years ago...

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.