HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Can I still get pregnant with ovaries? Can I still get pregnant with ovaries?

Unread 05-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Can I still get pregnant with ovaries?

I feel really stupid asking this, but my husband brought it up. He said since I have ovaries could I have a tubal pregnancy and periods. I had a TVH leaving the ovaries. Please have pity on my stupidity and help me. I'm embarrassed to ask the doctor. They removed my uterus and cervix.
Unread 05-26-2010, 12:22 AM
Re: Can I still get pregnant with ovaries?

Don't be embarassed. My Dr told me I still have eggs that can be extracted fertilized and placed in a surragate, but there is no way to get pregnant. Also no more periods. I had the same surgery you did. I have found this is the one place you can ask anything. :-) hope I helped.
Unread 05-26-2010, 01:46 AM

Can I ask a question related to this - so do we still ovulate? Sorry if I am being dumb
Unread 05-26-2010, 02:20 AM

I don't think so. I think our eggs are just there. From what I understand they still exist, but are useless unless extracted.I do not think you are being dumb at all. This is a very confusing ordeal we are going through. :-) I'm just glad I'm not alone in my questions.
Unread 05-26-2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy216 View Post
I don't think so. I think our eggs are just there. From what I understand they still exist, but are useless unless extracted.I do not think you are being dumb at all. This is a very confusing ordeal we are going through. :-) I'm just glad I'm not alone in my questions.
Thank you! I was asking because I wondered if I would still get any PMS or migraines which I only ever got with aunt flo.
Unread 05-26-2010, 05:28 AM

I'm not sure. We still have our ovaries so the hormones are being produced. Pms might still come, your dr would obviously know for sure. I'm just glad I can finally stop wearing black pants! :-)
Unread 05-26-2010, 05:53 AM

Hi Kendal123!

Women who have an intact cervix and one or both ovaries can have a mini period, but since you had a total hysterectomy (removal of uterus plus cervix) you won't have periods. Once your vaginal cuff (formed by stitching closed the area where your uterus/cervix were) heals, that will form a barrier between the eggs your ovaries produce and sperm so no, you won't be able to become pregnant.

(((Eiluj))), ovulation continues after hysterectomy and the eggs that are released are simply absorbed. Also, my doctor explained to me that any PMS I experienced prior to surgery would continue after surgery if I were to keep my ovaries. Since my ovaries were removed, PMS hasn't been an issue for me.

Hope this helps!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.