HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Post Op Week 5...dos and donts Post Op Week 5...dos and donts

Unread 06-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Post Op Week 5...dos and donts

I had my TAH on May 4th. I have been very fortunate in my recovery...I feel really good at this point. Trying hard to do what I've been told...I have 2 grandbabies due in the next month....but I'm ready to do more. I know not to vaccuum or lift too much til given my doctor's ok....app in 2 weeks. Can I push a grocery cart...other dos and donts at this point? Thanks!
Unread 06-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Re: Post Op Week 5...dos and donts

I'm at 5 weeks post op TAH/BSO and I've been pushing a grocery cart since my caregiver left 10 days post op....I live alone so what else can I do? I do as much as I can including lifting/bending when I have to (but nothing heavy). I returned to work last week (post op 4 weeks) but only lasted 6 hours/day (tired and tummy/incision ached) so came home and layed down with ice pack. I don't think I have "done too much too soon"...I've just done what I had to. If I could have stayed home longer I would have, but we don't get paid sick leave and I couldn't afford to go on disability....my doctor was fully supportive - he said if you are motivated you can do it but you will be fatigued. P.S. I am 54 years old and obese, so it has nothing to do with age or fitness....guess I'm just lucky.
Unread 06-01-2010, 05:25 PM

I don't know about having a TAH (although I've had c-sections in the past, and the cut is about the same). I had an LAVH and have been pretty much out and about since 4 days post op (shopping at the mall). I was tired and a little sore, but not in any real pain. I've just been taking it from there. I've been driving since about 1 week post op, and I follow "if it hurts, don't do it".

Doctor said I'm healing perfectly, and at 5 weeks post op now, I don't even feel like I've had major surgery. I don't really feel like I've had ANY surgery.

I know TAH and LAVH are different though.
Unread 06-01-2010, 05:25 PM

My doctor's advice was to not lift anything over 10 pounds for atleast 6 weeks. For the most part I have followed his advice. Lifted a little to much a week ago and felt a little sore after. Pushing the grocery cart hasn't been to bad for me. if it's not too full you should be alright. I have been walking as much as possible. I even walked a 3K benefit 2 weeks ago, got a little tired but it was a good tired. Take care of yourself and you will be ready for grand babies. Congrats!
Unread 06-03-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsue88 View Post
My doctor's advice was to not lift anything over 10 pounds for atleast 6 weeks. For the most part I have followed his advice. Lifted a little to much a week ago and felt a little sore after. Pushing the grocery cart hasn't been to bad for me. if it's not too full you should be alright. I have been walking as much as possible. I even walked a 3K benefit 2 weeks ago, got a little tired but it was a good tired. Take care of yourself and you will be ready for grand babies. Congrats!
I was also told not to pick up anything over 10 lbs either. It is hard to do because my male cat is 19 lbs, but he understands...

Just really be sure to not lift heavy objects. They also said to be careful driving because if you STOMP the brakes, you can hurt yourself on the inside...

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.