HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Too Early to Travel Post Surgery? Too Early to Travel Post Surgery?

Unread 06-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Too Early to Travel Post Surgery?

Good Afternoon, All,

I am scheduled for a hysterectomy on June 17th - my doctor feels confident that it will be a vaginal hysterectomy (not sure which intials to use!) but explained the possibility of it becoming abdominal if necessary once the surgery begins.

Several months ago, prior to the thought of a hysterectomy even entering the picture, we reserved a house at the beach for a summer vacation. Our vacation is scheduled for July 4 - 11, 2010, roughly 2 1/2 weeks after my surgery. It is approximately a 5 hours drive, plus approximately 2 - 3 hours on two ferries to get to the island where we will be vacationing. My mother and adult children are going, as well as my 15 year old nephew and 13 year old 'summer son' we host from Belarus every summer.

If all goes as planned, keeping in mind the requirement of my recovery and continuing to take things easy, will it be too soon for me to travel? Recovering at the beach sounds like a wonderful option to me!

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks!
Allison
Unread 06-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Re: Too Early to Travel Post Surgery?

wow! if your doc okays you to travel (tell him about those ferries, and keep your anti-nausea phenergen handy, LOL!!), and you can be comfy getting there, sounds perfect! also sounds like HUGE temptation to overdo, so be wise. you won't enjoy your vacation if overdoing things while getting ready to go results in more pain, or, worse -- a setback, away from home.

keep in mind, you'll know more post-op; it's impossible to gauge ahead of time how you might react to different things. for instance, when i got home from the hospital, i definitely slept better. but it was two more nights before i could lay comfortably in bed, and four nights until i could sleep for more than 6-7 hours straight without having to pee. as a result, i am still resolving some upper-body tension and neck pain. didn't see that coming! i am one full week post-op, but can't imagine getting ready for a family vacation. might be able to supervise dh doing everything, though!

everyone's recovery is unique. do what you can, and hope for the best. be careful to listen to your heart, and your body. if it comes right down to it and you miss the vacation, don't wallow in regret. know that your path to long-lasting wellness is way MORE important than getting to the beach. then get your calendar out, and plan something else to look forward to...there will be more beach vacations! and super deals in the off-season...

i hope you have a good procedure, and an easy recovery. here's to hoping you make it to the beach!!! nantucket??
Unread 06-01-2010, 10:45 AM

Same thing happened with us-our vacation is scheduled for the week of July 4th and I paid the deposit about a month before the need for surgery arose. We are heading to the beach (about a 5-5 1/2 hr car ride) and I am scheduled for a TAH on 6/14-3 weeks before vacation. My surgeon said as long as I am healing okay she thought it would be fine, just make sure to take a frequent stops to move around, potty break and hydrate. Good luck I hope we both make it to our vacations.
Unread 06-01-2010, 10:55 AM

I fear I may be overly optimistic but am hoping that my greatest problem will be feeling well enough to over do it! If' I'm still in pain, that will be another story. Have my pre-op on Monday so will share all these details with my doctor. Thank heavens for college age children who will be my left and right hand during this time, as DH is out of the country until Mid October! We are heading to the Outer Banks, in NC.
Unread 06-01-2010, 11:21 AM

if i had plans to be at the outer banks post-op, i'd be optimistic too!

hope you get to go!!!!! hope you have lovely sunny days there and lots of healing relaxation. good thing you have help! enjoy!!
Unread 06-01-2010, 12:14 PM

Looks like I'm in the same club as the rest of you gals. My surgery is August 11th, and I am going on vacation (come heck or high water) on September 15th. It will be a 12+ hour car ride to the Outer Banks. I realize that I may be more tired than usual, but I sure do hope I can enjoy my vacation.

Likewise, I hope you can enjoy yours!!
Unread 06-01-2010, 12:27 PM

It helps in the car if you can recline, even a little. Also use a pillow between seatbelt and belly. And sit on one to get a little extra cushion from the bumps!
Take breaks when you feel the need.
Hope you all have a wonderful time relaxing!!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway