HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Anyone else had external irritation/itching/burning-AGGRAVATED!!! Anyone else had external irritation/itching/burning-AGGRAVATED!!!

Unread 06-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Anyone else had external irritation/itching/burning-AGGRAVATED!!!

I read the thread from Lady DEL regarding her itching. My situation is a bit different so I thought I'd post a new thread to see if anyone else out there has some experience and suggestions.

Sorry for the length but hopefully some background will help others help me. I HOPE!

First, without TMI, my irritation/burning/itching is absolutely 100% external. Specifically it is right at the entrance to my vagina at the perineum. Given I've had 3 children with an epesiotomy for each, I am all too familiar with discomfort in this area. This is nothing like I've experienced before.

Had a TVH (kept ovaries) 12/09. Things have been fine - got clearance for sex about 4 weeks post-op. Everything works okay - noticed lube is necessary more frequently but nothing significant.

About 4 weeks ago, I noticed sex was a little bit uncomfortable with the specific area mentioned. Figured it was due to lack of the use of lube and didn't think much else. Well 4 days after having sex, the burning/irritated feeling was still there. It became itchy and by the 5th day, it became uncomfortable to sit down (had to kind of lean). There wasn't any discharge indicative of yeast but because of the itching and swollen irritated tissues, I took the 1 day Monistat ovule w/cream. I work for a general med doc so I called her (this was the weekend) and mentioned my lyph nodes in my groin were also swollen. So she called in Dilucan and I took it for 2 days. The itching became a bit better but because I wasn't positive it was yeast and the same spot was still irritated, I followed up with my gyn - at this point it was about 10 days post.

He did not see yeast, but was concerned about the swollen lymph glands. Ran a microscope test and said it looked like BV since the "good" bacteria was out of whack. I had had BV multiple times (but many years ago) and always, always have that foul fishy smell. This was not present this time. He prescribed Flagyl and told me to take it, or not. I started feeling better so I never took it. The irritated area was still there but became better.

Last week (it had now been 2 weeks since I'd been in to see the doctor and 3 weeks since the first issue), I went back. The irritation was back - once again about 4 days after we had sex. This time, we had sex two days in a row. The second time, irritation and some mild discomfort during. Once again, I thought it was lack of lube. Note: despite "dry spells" in our sex life, I've NEVER had irritation to this extent. So I told the doctor it can't be simple lube issues - not 4-5 days later!

So last week, he looked again. Said discharge was normal and no sign of BV this time. My body had righted the bacteria levels on its own. He just sent me on my way and said to "give it time." He said no signs of extra dryness that needed to be treated. Huh?

So after waiting over 7 days to have sex again and using TONS of lube, we had sex. It was fine except for the entry and exit - burning sensation like I was being stretched. A little bit of discomfort, kind of like a "full" feeling. Then we had sex 2 days later. This time, tons of lube again but the entry and exit burned and being on top was also uncomfortable. Not enough to stop me (thank goodness).

Here's the deal - I'm going on 4 weeks. I can't stand this feeling of irritation. Sometimes it burns when I pee like there is raw skin. Sometimes it itches like the dickens. Most of the time it is just plain irritated. I've looked at it in the mirror - it looks red and irritated. It was much more swollen last week. It does look a little better. My libido has taken a divebomb because as much as a try, I can't really "ignore" this.

Again - NONE of this is internal. It's all specifically located to the entrance of my vagina. No strange discharge either.

I would love to hear any suggestions - specifically from anyone who might have had this problem and what fixed it?!?
Unread 06-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Re: Anyone else had external irritation/itching/burning-AGGRAVATED!!!

it sounds like an allergy to me... maybe to the lubricant? i am so sensitive to everything and can get itchiness down there when i use any type of product...
Unread 06-01-2010, 05:37 PM

Yes, that's a thought except that I've never had this reaction before. Used KY for years - nothing. No reaction and certainly nothing like this.

And the sore spot that started all of this happened after sex where no lube was used. That's why I wondered if the original irritation was due to lack of lube and it's just been aggravated since?

I don't know. This is very aggravating.
Unread 06-02-2010, 06:33 PM

Update. Woke up this morning feeling almost normal down there.

So hubby was home for lunch and we indulged in a quickie. It stung in the same spot. Feels like I'm being torn when he enters and exits. Today it hurt and now I'm sore again.

Called the doc and insisted to be seen again. SOMEthing is wrong. Hoping it's just a dryness issue and that he can prescribe some cream. Thinking it could be a hormonal imbalance also.

Have appointment in the morning and I'm not leaving until I have a direction to go - this is getting aggravating!!!
Unread 06-17-2010, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingWidow88 View Post
I read the thread from Lady DEL regarding her itching. My situation is a bit different so I thought I'd post a new thread to see if anyone else out there has some experience and suggestions.

Sorry for the length but hopefully some background will help others help me. I HOPE!

First, without TMI, my irritation/burning/itching is absolutely 100% external. Specifically it is right at the entrance to my vagina at the perineum. Given I've had 3 children with an epesiotomy for each, I am all too familiar with discomfort in this area. This is nothing like I've experienced before.

Had a TVH (kept ovaries) 12/09. Things have been fine - got clearance for sex about 4 weeks post-op. Everything works okay - noticed lube is necessary more frequently but nothing significant.

About 4 weeks ago, I noticed sex was a little bit uncomfortable with the specific area mentioned. Figured it was due to lack of the use of lube and didn't think much else. Well 4 days after having sex, the burning/irritated feeling was still there. It became itchy and by the 5th day, it became uncomfortable to sit down (had to kind of lean). There wasn't any discharge indicative of yeast but because of the itching and swollen irritated tissues, I took the 1 day Monistat ovule w/cream. I work for a general med doc so I called her (this was the weekend) and mentioned my lyph nodes in my groin were also swollen. So she called in Dilucan and I took it for 2 days. The itching became a bit better but because I wasn't positive it was yeast and the same spot was still irritated, I followed up with my gyn - at this point it was about 10 days post.

He did not see yeast, but was concerned about the swollen lymph glands. Ran a microscope test and said it looked like BV since the "good" bacteria was out of whack. I had had BV multiple times (but many years ago) and always, always have that foul fishy smell. This was not present this time. He prescribed Flagyl and told me to take it, or not. I started feeling better so I never took it. The irritated area was still there but became better.

Last week (it had now been 2 weeks since I'd been in to see the doctor and 3 weeks since the first issue), I went back. The irritation was back - once again about 4 days after we had sex. This time, we had sex two days in a row. The second time, irritation and some mild discomfort during. Once again, I thought it was lack of lube. Note: despite "dry spells" in our sex life, I've NEVER had irritation to this extent. So I told the doctor it can't be simple lube issues - not 4-5 days later!

So last week, he looked again. Said discharge was normal and no sign of BV this time. My body had righted the bacteria levels on its own. He just sent me on my way and said to "give it time." He said no signs of extra dryness that needed to be treated. Huh?

So after waiting over 7 days to have sex again and using TONS of lube, we had sex. It was fine except for the entry and exit - burning sensation like I was being stretched. A little bit of discomfort, kind of like a "full" feeling. Then we had sex 2 days later. This time, tons of lube again but the entry and exit burned and being on top was also uncomfortable. Not enough to stop me (thank goodness).

Here's the deal - I'm going on 4 weeks. I can't stand this feeling of irritation. Sometimes it burns when I pee like there is raw skin. Sometimes it itches like the dickens. Most of the time it is just plain irritated. I've looked at it in the mirror - it looks red and irritated. It was much more swollen last week. It does look a little better. My libido has taken a divebomb because as much as a try, I can't really "ignore" this.

Again - NONE of this is internal. It's all specifically located to the entrance of my vagina. No strange discharge either.

I would love to hear any suggestions - specifically from anyone who might have had this problem and what fixed it?!?
This is happening to me as we speak. I am 14 days post vaginal hysterectomy (they left my ovaries and took my uterus and my cervix) and almost a week and a half ago I started noticing itching near my labia. The itching eventually spread to the entire external area and I could soon see redness and a slight rash! Mind you, there's no odor and no discharge but the itching is insane! At first I noticed it only itched if I touched it but after week one passed, I found that it would start itching regardless to whether I touched it or not.

At first I thought it was irritated because they attempted to shave suring my surgery but I knew I didn’t have much down there to shave. Still I looked with a mirror and I didn’t see any changes from before my surgery. Then I started reading up on yeast infections and found that we all have bacteria in our bodies that have the potential for yeast infections but when our body’s PH is acidic, the bacteria doesn't cause us any trouble. However, if our PH balance goes down until it’s “base” instead of “acidic” or the bacteria gets out into an area that’s more base in nature, it can grow and that’s when we start itching. With that in mind I am wondering (sorry in advance for being so graphic) if the reason why we are itching is because our uteruses had this bacteria on it and while it was safe in our bodies where our PH levels were highly acidic, when our doctors removed our uteruses vaginally, it may have touched the external portions of our vaginal area on the way out and that’s why we are itching down there.

Again, I’m just guessing.

But I called my doctor and told her my symptoms including the patchy rash, the redness (and I have brown skin so you know that it had to be red!), the itching and the lack of odor or the cottage cheese discharge. Because of the lack of the last 2, she said that it’s most likely not a yeast infection. She then prescribed 2 things for me – one I used for the first time today and one I didn’t bother to fill.

I filled the prescription for Metronidazole Vaginal gel. That was about $30.00 and it’s supposed to treat
Trichomonas vaginalis or bacterial infections. The other one she prescribed was something called Belladonna & Opium and that was in suppository form as well. That’s the one I didn’t fill and you want to know why? Because when I went to pick it up the pharmacist told me that AFTER insurance, it cost $170.00!!! *shaking my head* Insane!

So now what I am going to do is take the Metronidazole Vaginal gel but also ask my Dr. tomorrow if I can take Monistat topical along with this (just in case it is a yeast infection). I’m also going to start eating yogurt with active enzymes in it. If it still continues in 5 days, I might resort to what the Isreali women have sworn by for centuries and make ahome remedy to fight and eliminate yeast infections by combining plain active yogurt and water and making that into a douche. I am not by any means suggesting that anyone else do this but it’s just a natural option that I will consider if I can’t get rid of this rash within a reasonable amount of time!

In the meantime, I hope all that have experienced this get better soon and if you do, please post what works for you. Also those who are pre op, ask your doctor about itching. I hear that even those who have abdominal hysterectomies have itching problems and I wonder if the whole bacteria touching the external skin is the reason. Maybe if you discuss it with them they might consider finding a substance that they can spray over the skin before removing the uterus that will block the bacteria from getting on the skin and causing irritation later. I’m not a doctor but it just makes sense.

Anyway, that’s all folks! Take care!

Caydence
Unread 06-17-2010, 05:44 AM

I will begin by first saying...I don't have the answer. I will just tell you my situation. I had a TAH, overies & cervix removed as well on 05/25. I'm on the Vivelle Dot HRT patch. I am now 3 weeks post-op, so I haven't been cleared to resume having sex yet....and I have not done it, so I take that part out of the equation. Anyway, I started experiencing external itching 1 week post-op. In addition to the itching, I had burning and it was red. I didn't have the discharge that would indicate a yeast infection either. I was having a discharge at the time, but from what I've read, the discharge I was having was normal for this point in my recovery. I made sure to wash this area once or twice per day, in addition to my daily shower. I patted the area dry and have been sleeping without underware [I remember being told years ago by a GYN when I kept getting yeast infections to do this and let some air get to it. My itching & burning went away, only to return on week 2 post-op, so I repeated the extra washing, patting dry, etc. and it went away the next day and so far has not returned. I am still sleeping without the undies, but not doing the extra washing, so maybe it does have something to do with it. I felt it had something to do with the discharge, at least in my case because my itching & burning started when my discharge increased in amount, which I think was because I over did things. I've noticed that if I try to do too much, in addition to not feeling so well, my discharge increases in amount. I'm certainly not a Dr., so I don't know if it was the discharge that created the problem or if the wetness from the discharge just irritated the problem. If anyone finds out the answer to this problem, please post it for the rest of us. So far, I haven't had the problem in over a week, so hopefully whatever it was is CURED!
Unread 06-17-2010, 06:09 AM

Could it be a stitch that hasn't properly dissolved?
Unread 07-02-2010, 07:59 PM

Hi All,

Ok here's my update on the itchiness situation....

I was told that if I had itchiness down in that area it was because of one of two reasons. Either I had Trichomonas vaginalis or a yeast infection - both of which are very common when having a hysterectomy. But because their solutions were different from each other, I pretty much had to figure out which one of those was the issue and fix it.

My symptoms were external itching and redness. There was no discharge , no strong "fishy" odor and NO internal itching. Because of this, the physician's assistant hought that it must be Trichomonas vaginalis. She prescribed 2 things for me - the Metronidazole Vaginal gel which I was supposed to insert vaginally and the Belladonna & Opium suppositories that I did not buy because it cost $170.00 for a tube. I was very concerned about taking the "Metro" gel internally only because it was my understanding that nothing should go up there for at least 6 weeks and to do so might actually encourage a yeast infection but since the physician's assistant told me that this wouldn't be the case, I gave it a try. She was wrong.

But back to the prescriptions. I found out that the reason why they prescribed the Belladonna was because they knew that the Metro gel was going to cause me some pelvic discomfort and the Belladonna was supposed to sooth it. Since I didn't get the Belladonna, within 4 days my pelvis not only started hurting but I started to see discharge that looked cottage cheese in nature (YUK!) which I took to be signs of an actually yeast infection! So on the fifth day I stopped taking the Metronidazole Vaginal gel.

Instead I treat the situation like a vaginal yeast infection and I'm so glad that I did. I went out and bought Vagisil Extra Strength Itch cream for my external discomfort and also bought AZO yeast tablets w/ a probiotic base to take care of the internal causes of my yeast infection. I figured that my pH level was off and the probiotic would balance it back out. I also got some Activia yogurt because it has acted enzymes which would also help to balance my pH level. I also drink a lot of water and I also took vitamin C supplements because I heard that vitamin C makes it harder for bacteria to cling to internal surfaces for long. I don't know if this is true but I did it just in case.

This is my sixth day doing this and I feel great! The itching has subsided, there's no more chaffing and the discharge that started showing up has disappeared! So my advice would be to anyone who is experiencing any itching after hysterectomy would be to of course to consult your doctor to find out what could be the cause of it but also tried to dissuade him or her from giving you suppositories or gels or anything that can be put inside you because even though it might take care of one situation, it might exacerbate or cause another one.

Again, once I figured out that I had a yeast infection I used;

AZO yeast tablets w/ a probiotic base - to fix my internal pH balance
Active Yogurt - Like Activia for an added probiotic measure
Vagisil Extra Strength - to handle the external itching

So if all else fails try this! I'm not a doctor but I hope it works for you as it worked for me! Take care all!

Caydence
Unread 07-02-2010, 08:35 PM

i am SO glad to have read this thread just now. this morning i posted a new topic on BV and treating infection, and yet the posts in this thread ring much more closely with my problems than the idea that i have BV -- i have no internal itching, but did have itching/burning externally post-op. it seemed to subside on its own, gradually, but not completely.

i am trying a product called "fem-dophilus," by jarrow. it is a specially formulated (proprietary blend) probiotic to support balanced vaginal microbial flora. my doc prescribed metrogel, and i have read that it may or may not be effective, may not prevent recurrence, and might very well lead to a much worse yeast infection. i am reluctant to use it, based not only on the fact i am not quite 6 weeks post-op, but also because doc did not even culture me to identify if i truly have BV.

thanks, caydence, for sharing your story -- and thank you to others. please keep in touch -- you can read my post on "treating infection and BV 5 weeks post-op" to get the full version of what i'm experiencing and learning. any further help i can get would be great.

i think docs often turn to pharmaceuticals for lack of experience with natural/nutrition-based remedies. and yet i hate to trade one set of problems for another -- like caydence described.

thanks, ladies!!
Unread 07-02-2010, 10:44 PM

I had a similar itchiness after my surgery, but my uterus wasn't removed vaginally. I think it was a side-effect of the antibiotics I was prescribed. I've always associated that with a yeast infection even though I've never had any discharge with the itchiness.

Anyway, my old Granny's cure for the itchies was using a hot, wet washcloth sprinkled with rubbing alcohol to clean the affected area. I use Witch Hazel instead of straight alcohol but it works well for me, even though it initially stings like crazy. The itchiness and redness is gone within the hour. Caveat: I'm not necessarily recommending this method, just giving a personal anecdote.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.