HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How do I get my dr. to do a hysterectomy? How do I get my dr. to do a hysterectomy?

Unread 06-02-2010, 02:21 PM
How do I get my dr. to do a hysterectomy?

I'm 36 and i've had problems with my cycle for the last 20 years. I've been on a variety of birth control pills, the depo shot, etc. etc.

I'm currently in my 9th month of bleeding. I've had 3 depo shots since January, plus did two months of prometrium. Still bleeding. If I don't take Midol twice a day, I have cramps, bleeding and clots so bad that I can't go anywhere.

I had an ultra sound and two endo biopsies and they come back as hyperplasia without atypia.

As far as I see, a Hysterectomy is the only option that is going to help me 100%. I literally don't think I can take this anymore. I go back to the dr. on the 14th of this month and really want her to schedule the surgery.

We've talked about Ablation, but she says there is only a 40% chance of it taking care of the bleeding permanently.

At my last appointment, she kept leading me away from the hysterectomy because i'm 36 and my DH & I don't have any kids.. Well, we can't have kids and we are ok with that. I need her to move on! Help!
Unread 06-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Re: How do I get my dr. to do a hysterectomy?

Can you get your husband to go with you to your next appointment? Instead of requesting for a hysterectomy, how about ask your doctor for options. Ask her what her advice might be to solve your problems.

Doctors seem to have a 'code of silence'. My breast surgeon talked me out of having mastectomy the first round. When I found the big recurrence four years later and asked for a bilateral mastectomy, she was concerned about my request for the prophylactic procedure on my good breast.

My family doctor thought I was hypochondriac when I decided to have the hysterectomy/oophorectomy. I had to get my oncologist to back me up since he knew more about the cancer history of both my family and myself.

Be sure to do your research beforehand and act calm and composed when you see her on the 14th. She just might have a better offer for you.
Unread 06-02-2010, 07:30 PM

Have you had a DNC? If the dr is not willing to listen I would find another one. You are not obligated to them remember they work for you. Sometimes women have a lot of bleeding problems that may not be from fibroids or anything else. Just because they do not see anything does not mean it is not a problem. Have them check your hormonal balance also.

Keep us posted.
Unread 06-02-2010, 08:08 PM

I was diagnosed with my fibroids a year ago. I took the antiinflamatories she prescribed and tried progesterone cream. Things just got worse to the point that my quality of life wasn't good. I couldn't leave the house without 7 overnight pads and a change of clothes. At my appointment in February, I had decided I was going to ask for hysterectomy. She did the exam and told me hysterectomy was the only other option. I agreed with her.
If you convey to her that you are ready for surgery, she may be willing to listen. If she won't, get another doctor.
Unread 06-02-2010, 08:52 PM

Well, my work scheduled and I can't go to the doctor on the 14th. I called the dr's nurse today and begged to get in next week. She fit me in on Tuesday morning.

This is my second opinion dr. My last dr did nothing but put me on the depo. He didn't even have an ultra sound done. My dh is going with me. I've never had a d&c. I plan to ask about that also.
Unread 06-03-2010, 06:29 AM

Keep us posted. DNCs are done to try to control the bleeding and it also would give your doctor a better understanding of what was going on inside. That is the first thing the dr set up when I was looking for alternatives. I am quite surprised that they did not order the ultersound first. I pray that you get some relief.
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:47 AM

I don't know if you live in a big or small town - ie if there is a wide choice of drs or not? Might be worth a drive to get someone skilled and willing to take the time to listen/talk. Ask your GP/internist for referral to a really good gyn surgeon
Unread 06-03-2010, 09:01 AM

Hi Izzybeff.

You did the right thing to get a closer appointment date. You're having too much bleeding. It seems that at a minimum your doc/gyn should do a D&C to have the tissue analyzed to rule out cancer. Bleeding like you are having is very tricky. I already have light periods, but the D&C I had made my periods almost nonexistent for a few months. I have a chronic anemia problem which was the cause of my D&C to rule out cancer, but when I woke up from the D&C I felt like running a marathon! I had been so lethargic from the anemia and was on iron infusion treatments that didn't quite increase my energy immediately. When I had the D&C my eyes cleared up and I felt so much better--so much so that my husband noticed the difference as soon as I came out of the surgery. Since a D&C is removal of the uterine lining (in your case of analysis), you may be surprised to discover that your periods might cease and return to a monthly cycle, which would then give you and your gyn time to seek out alternatives to a hysterectomy. If she's trying to avoid a hyster, it's for a reason that she might not disclose to you--things that happened to other patients who had them...

Have you had vaginal ultrasound to rule out ovarian cancer or ovarian tumors that may require removal of your ovaries?

As you are sure I know, a hysterectomy is major surgery so, in your gyn's defense, she is wise in that she is ensuring that you use alternatives to a hyster since it's irreversible. What needs to be done is find the organic cause of your bleeding and then to address that cause. As she is probably aware, sometimes gyns do hysterectomies for problems that are unrelated to the hyster and then patients are left to still address their pain and bleeding as well as being left to cope with the after-effects of the hyster. If your gyn does not do testing on you to rule out what's causing your bleeding, you need to find another doctor. What you don't want even in finding a different doctor,is a doc who will do a hyster just to please you and earn the money from the surgery, and then you find yourself still in constant pain and/or bleeding from something unrelated to hyster.

I know we make decisions to minimize our pain when we are suffering, but I strongly recommend that you study this site for befores and afters of hysters, learn and understand the alternatives to hyster, and then be more forceful (without being rude) on at least trying one (or all) of those alternatives that you are most comfortable with. She can at least try one...??? For instance, with the 40% success rate your gyn quotes for ablation, you might fall into that 40% so why not try it is it's what you are most comfortable with right now? 40% is a high success rate to me. There are ablation success stories on this site. There are also UFE and myomectomy as alternatives, but right now your priority should be to rule out cancer. I have one fibroid but am asymptomatic, so just because we have fibroids does not necessarily mean they are the cause of our female issues.

I hope this helped you some but I am sure there are others on this site with better info for you.

Take care and keep us posted.
Unread 06-03-2010, 03:03 PM

I have no idea what else to ask for except for the Hysterectomy. I've been dealing with this for so long. When I was at the dr. last, it sounded like the only reason she didn't want to do it is because i'm "only" 36 and don't have children.. Or atleast that's what she kept referring to.

My husband and I can't have children as he has no sperm count and obviously I don't even ovulate on my own. After two years with fertility drugs with the last dr., I know I don't ovulate. Too bad that dr. never suggested a sperm test for my husband. It was only after we requested it be done that it got done.

I just feel like i've been wasting years dealing with this. I tried to hang on until we could have kids, now we know we can't, it's time to move on to a more permanent solution.

Oh and she is also very quick to blame it on my weight. I've weighed over a 100 lbs less than this and still had problems, so frankly, that might be part of it, but I certainly don't think it's the only reason. Am I just supposed to bleed till I lose weight? I have PCOS and it's a never ending battle.

What else would you suggest in lieu of a hysto?
Unread 06-03-2010, 05:41 PM

Hi again Izzybeff.

If you feel you're not being taken seriously then you may need to find another doctor. I know it's hard considering you may feel that another doctor may not take you as seriously, but some on this site in their 20s have had to undergo hysters. While it's not an ideal remedy offered to young people like yourself, sometimes it may be necessary. You may have some serious issues going on inside that may go unaddressed because you're being descriminated against because of your weight. You may not see it as descrimination but that's really all it is. You don't want to end up anemic and there is still a good possibility that some or all of your weight gain is from all of those hormonal treatments that you've gone through over the years. Hormones, even birth control pills, can wreak havoc on our bodies. Doctors don't want to take responsibility for medicinal weight gain. I was even told last week by my doc that my weight from the meds (laced with sugar) should have come off by now. I gained almost 50 lbs over 6 weeks!

I'm sorry about the weight thing because it's been my experiences that people are treated differently because of them being overweight. I was about 145 at 5'7" when I first got sick. I was a runner but after my last iron treatment I put on a dress size and a half each week for six weeks. Now that I'm almost 200lbs my PCM is not so sympathetic although I gained weight from the last iron treatment. Now she's telling me that I need to lose some weight and maybe some of the issues I'm having will go away when the issues I'm having comes from medicinal weight gain. I am going to another doc needless to say.

Please consider finding a different doc if you don't stop bleeding and just tell the new doctor you have BEEN BLEEDING FOR NINE MONTHS! Most docs find that reason for trying to stop the bleeding IMMEDIATELY and then testing for the cause.

Please keep us posted and hang in there. A different doctor might offer a different and better perspective for treatment.

Take care.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.