HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Surgical Glue Instead of Stitches? Surgical Glue Instead of Stitches?

Unread 06-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Surgical Glue Instead of Stitches?

My doctor used a surgical glue instead of stitches or staples. I've felt my incision, but I cannot see it. Every time somebody checked the incision in the hospital they said it looked great and you could barely tell that I'd even had surgery. So for all intents and purposes, the glue seems to have been the right choice. I believe I have less to worry about in terms of hygiene and infection, yet am paranoid about getting the glue wet.

I haven't showered since I got home Monday. I'm not exactly sure what I think will happen... but I'm reluctant to get wet. The nurse even told me during my discharge visit that showering was ok just don't dry myself off too aggressively or saturate the area/stay in the shower too long. But still I stay out of the shower. Does anybody else have glue instead of stitches?? How have you addressed the showering issue??
Unread 06-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Re: Surgical Glue Instead of Stitches?

I had glue and showering is fine. It really sticks! Just don't pick at it or rub it and it will actually peel off on it's own when it's ready, no problems. I'm at 17 days today and still have one tiny piece left to come off.
Unread 06-03-2010, 11:57 AM

Onthefence! I thought you said "it's really sticky." I imagined it getting all gooey like Elmer's Glue when you wet it! Glad I reread your post! Good to know that it's going to peel off. That would have freaked me out, especially since I'm the kind of person to pick scabs. Guess I will brave a shower today. Thanks!
Unread 06-03-2010, 12:08 PM

I also have glue - which worried me more than a little - just couldn't fathom how it could possibly hold things together.

My doctor covered my incision with steri-strips and told me it was ok to get in the shower and get it wet. But still I stayed away from letting water touch the area - too scared. I went to my 2 wk appt Tuesday and she removed the steri-strips and said they weren't holding things together. Once again she assured me that it was ok to shower.

So I'm just guessing your doctor would maybe say the same.

Happy Showering!!!
Unread 06-03-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
they weren't holding things together
Please clarify! I thought I read it wrong... but you did say that it wasn't holding things together. I'm assuming from the rest of what you said that it was a typo. I'm assuming my doctor didn't use steri-strips because of where my incision is. They probably would stay on. But a thin strip of glue seems too thin. I know I'm being paranoid. I'll wait until my hostess is back home before I shower so if anything goes wrong... I'm not home alone.
Unread 06-03-2010, 12:22 PM

I showered in the hospital. they said it was ok as long as I didnt stay in the shower and have the incision site wet for too long.. Don't worry, the glue is pretty great at keeping things together. I have been cut open 3 separate time and every time my incision stayed closed. I also can barely tell i had surgery and I am about a month out from my surgery... it heals great with glue.
Unread 06-03-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipolarGrl View Post
Please clarify! I thought I read it wrong... but you did say that it wasn't holding things together. I'm assuming from the rest of what you said that it was a typo. I'm assuming my doctor didn't use steri-strips because of where my incision is. They probably would stay on. But a thin strip of glue seems too thin. I know I'm being paranoid. I'll wait until my hostess is back home before I shower so if anything goes wrong... I'm not home alone.
Yes. The glue was holding things together, but my doctor said that the strips were not what was actually holding things together, although they were important for the edges/corners of my scar.

But again, the doctor assured me that I could shower without a problem but to be gentle with the area of course. If you feel better waiting until someone is there with you I say do that for your own peace of mind.
Unread 06-03-2010, 12:25 PM

I am almost 5 weeks post op and I had glue on my incision as well. I was able to shower in the hospital, just not allow the water to hit directly on the incision. Mine did peel away slowly. Just don't pick at it. Good Luck! You will be fine!
Unread 06-03-2010, 12:26 PM

Thanks for clearing that up Courageous1!!
Unread 06-03-2010, 12:31 PM

No problem BipolarGrl!! I got in the shower to wash my hair the day before my 2 wk appt and tried with all my might not to let water come in contact with the incision area and steristrips but failed miserably. I was able to breathe a sigh of relief when after patting it dry I discovered that things really were ok.

So I understand your concerns. Good luck with everything and let us know how things go.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.