HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Bladder mesh, erosion into my vagina. Bladder mesh, erosion into my vagina.

Unread 06-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Bladder mesh, erosion into my vagina.

Hello Ladies and thank you so much for your courage to talk about all of the problems you have had regarding this mesh/sling bladder surgery and all. :-)

I am so sorry that you all have been going through so much hell, regarding this issue! I am so sorry, I put this post I think, in the incorrect thread, so I began a new one. TYVVM for taking the time to read this and help. :-)

I had a complete Hyster. in 1990, everything, and I mean everything was taken out! In 2004 a female GYN/OB put in a sling and mesh to hold up my bladder, because of course, it had no where to go. Thus, I was also having problems, urinating, etc...You name, I had it. She could feel my bladder as soon as she put her fingers up me, it had dropped that much.

Just, last Wed, 5 days ago, I had my new GYN/OB Dr, a male, whom is very kind, professional, repair the erosion, I had from the mesh, going into my vagina. The pain was horrible...It had began last year, last November, I felt it, I was bleeding. It took 3 doctors to see it...What? How silly, I felt it, right in the entrance of my vagina. What is wrong with these doctor's? Actually, it took my IC nurse and two other nurses to see it and feel it...It wasn't that small....<shakes head, in confusion> Finally, my GYN, felt it, saw it, after my IC nurse showed him...back in November, he felt nothing? Unbelievable, so I let it go and ignored it, then they found blood in my stools, but that's another story. I had told that in my first post. LoL :-)

I now am in horrid pain, after this procedure. I did not stay overnight, it was an outpatient procedure and him, being a male, thought, I didn't need any pain meds, that advil or tylenol would work just fine. I would like for him to be a woman for a week! :-) Nothing is working for the pain, I am on suboxone for chronic pain, and it does nothing, I have taken advil, nothing, helps.

I have a disgusting odor, where, small black things that I cannot describe, that smell like a mechanic working on a car, come out of me. Very thin looking and, it can't be the stitches, can it? It is when I wipe myself. Or, could it be old blood? The pain is on a scale of 10, at a number 8-9....I am still bleeding, not saturating, my pad mind you, but for me, it's a lot of blood. He said, it should stop in 2 days. My bowels are messed up. I leaked the night I came home and was so embarrassed, but my loving husband was fantastic, thank goodness! I am very blessed! :-)

When I am standing the pain is horrible, when I am sitting, it's not great. I made an appt. to see him today at 4:45, my husband will take me, for I don't feel like, or am up to driving. This mesh is a nightmare...I want it taken out! Can that really occur?

I am tired of hurting. bleeding and, even though, I have a kind doctor, his compassion is not good at all, regarding this pain. They had found a foreign body in my vaginal cuff area, the size of a seed, or rice, he thought that it could be a stitch, but I insisted that he take a vaginal cuff smear, and biopsy of that area. I have yet to hear anything, so I must think that no news is good news, yes? I am urinating so much...And it hurts too...I am also being treated for IC,Intercicial Cystitis, but will continue with that, after this is healed up.

Am I being too impatient? Why did he say, I won't be in any pain, nor be bleeding, after 2-3 days after the surgery? Why did he say that Tylenol or Advil will work just fine? When he is so wrong. I don't know what to say to him. I am so angry. I don't like being treated as though, it's in my mind. This entire erosion, ordeal, through my vagina has creeped/freaked me out.

Not only have I been unable to have intercourse with my hubby, I am hurt and angry that I am letting a doctor treat me, as though this procedure was nothing. This disgusting smell, this ordor, I never even had, after I had my bladder surgery, to begin with, 'the mesh and sling', and after my hysterectomy. I pray I don't have an infection and I don't want him to continue to take this in a light manner. My lower abdomen aches deeply as inside my vaginal area. After the procedure in Post-op, the female nurse had the audacity to say to me: "I don't know why you're in so much pain, it was just a small area." Can you believe that? I was given 2 shots of Diladud. (please excuse my spelling) and then 2, 5mg. Percocets. I felt as though I had been raped, and, I sadly, speak from experience, I am a strong survivor and thriver tho! :-) And yet, no one understood my pain level. And, now I am scared that I may have an infection or something, and I am not being told the truth. But, I will be strong and let him know what I think, when I see him today. Trust me on that. No doctor will ever take advantage of me. Period!

I want to thank you all for letting me vent. You all don't know what wondrous souls you all are here! :-)
I am so sorry too, that you are going through this unnecessary C***, that you all have been going through, and still are. I can't say it enough!

I am open-minded to any, and all advice, etc. that you may have.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all...
My best to you all, too.

Please take care, and again, many, many thanks! :-)

new_day :-)
Unread 06-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Re: Bladder mesh, erosion into my vagina.

Oh you poor dear! I have absolutely NO point of reference for what you are going through and won't insult you by even trying to pretend that I understand. I will pray for you and I hope that your appointment today goes well. I pray that you find a doctor who is will and able to advocate for you and that your health crisis is resolved.
Unread 06-07-2010, 11:49 AM

How very, very kind of you...Thank you so much for your sweet reply! I'll be sure to bug, you all, lol, and let you all know what happens. Take care BPG! I'm very touched that you took the time to reply! I wish and pray for your good health too!

new_day! :-)
Unread 06-07-2010, 02:23 PM

Your welcome. I can imagine how scared and stressed out I'd be in your shoes. Feel free to send me a private message if you need a friend.
Unread 06-07-2010, 04:14 PM

How did your appt go??
Unread 06-07-2010, 04:26 PM

Did the doctor take out the mesh or just "repair" the erosion? If he didn't take it out, you could be in pain from the mesh left inside you. I know they don't like to take it out--especially an anterior sling, which is what I suspect you have, because it is so large. I had the posterior sling removed--and I am so glad I did. I wasn't having the reaction to mesh you were, just pain when the area was touched--like during intercourse. There have been some women on this forum that have had a more severe reaction to the mesh, such as what you seem to be having.

I know how frustrating it is to deal with this issue. The mesh erosion hides in the folds of the vagina and can be hard to see. I had to go to more than a few doctors before I found one willing to help me.

Good luck with your recovery. I hope that you get some relief from the pain.
Unread 06-08-2010, 07:44 AM

Good Morning BPG, DT and DF! Thanks so much for asking how it went...

I saw him at 4:45 yesterday as planned, my husband came in with me, he's never been into a GYN before, his ex-wife and my ex-husband, couldn't have children...We'll, I couldn't and she, couldn't...what I'm trying to say, as I wake up this morning. LoL

My GYN had my hubby look inside of me, while he looked to see what and if and where, the problem was...My doctor is very kind, but I broke down in tears...I couldn't stop crying, because he kept on telling me I should be fine and not in this pain and he saw no blood? WTH...????
No blood, what is on my pad and what is that black crap, that smells like a mechanic, when I wipe and were is the pain coming from. When he examined me, he hurt like hell...but he had the audacity to say" You are not screaming out in pain, like you did, the last time, I examined you, before the surgery."

The nurse in there saw how I was trying to compose myself. It F***ing hurt!!! He said everything looked fine. it is a matter of healing. It will take time. He saw nothing of what I was complaining about! But did give me some antibiotics, not what he really wanted to do, and a liquid gel type of cream, to apply to that small area...I'm picking it up today, I was far too drained and tired to do it last evening. I just took my regular meds. and went to bed. I see him in 2 weeks.

We discussed the possibility of removing the entire mesh, but he thinks it will cause more problems, with scar tissue, pain and IC.. He doesn't really want to do it. He even had the audacity to say to me, 'well other women have not had this kind of problem before, they have had this erosion mesh repair, but not being in such pain as you are now". You can imagine what I thought about saying to him. I said to him" I am not crazy, I know what is bothering me, I know my body and something is not right!"
He said we'll take care of this in 2 wks. And, did say he wants me to be feeling better by then. The wonderful thing about all of this, is that the biopsies came back negative, in the vaginal cuff area, but he didn't tell me what was there..what that foreign body was!!! Why not? I suppose I was too upset. I am so happy about that, and I feel so very blessed, but this pain takes over the gratitude, I truly feel inside, or want to feel inside..does that make sense? LOL I am crying as I type this..I am so tired of Male doctors not understanding when a female talks about pain!!!

He said to me 'I know you're not crazy, we just want to make you feel better, and it will take time, you just had this surgery done, last Wed". My husband misunderstood him about the healing period. Even after my hyster. and my bladder surgery, i never felt this pain...I mean don't get me wrong, the hyster. was no party, it was very painful, but I never saw black smelling things come out of me, when I wipe and that has a foul odor to it.

I don't like men thinking of me as a victim, and I hated myself for crying as I did...Men are not in our bodies. They do not feel what we feel. 'I guess I am just more sensitive than others', I told him...I should have had a female gyn. here where I live...but it didn't work out that way. I know I will heal and get better, I am on my way to pick up the antibiotics and gel ...I don't even feel like driving...but, I must, I will be alright. I took a bath as he suggested, I have been doing all he said. I couldn't bear children...so, does that make me a whimp ,with other issues, regarding my vaginal area?

Please forgive me, I must sound like a lunatic,
venting like this.. I truly am sorry and I thank you all for your caring and support! It's not such a big deal...and, I guess I am making this out to be one? Eh? LoL

I want this out of me...how can a mesh erode through my vagina? I don't care how small the area is right now...When, I have calmed down and am feeling better I will get the copies of everything and go find myself a female doctor. One, who can help me with this mesh issue. Enough is enough! I know I am not crazy and something is not right with my body in that area!!!

These are all nightmares to me, I thought it was all over, when I had the hyster. then the bladder surgery...WTH? I live with chronic pain on a daily basis. I know what I can handle and what I cannot.
I have Lupus, Fibro, (RSD, osteoarthritis,) both in my hands, and arthritis , down my entire spine. To look at me, you'd be shocked to see that I have any of these issues. I am very blessed, but I just think I am at my limit with pain. And this past surgery, I let, shamefully , get the best of me...I am strong and I will be fine. :-)

I can't thank you all enough for letting me vent and be a baby like this. lol. You all are Live Guardian Angels ...:-)

I wish you all a peaceful day and, as much of pain free living as possible...I'll, let you know how it, progresses....:-)

Many blessings to you all...

new_day

PS...BPG, thank-you for your invitation, feel free to send me a message, anytime. :-)
Unread 06-08-2010, 08:30 AM

TY so much too, CT, for your very kind reply and advice, suggestions...You're all so very wonderful!

Take care...I'm trying to find myself around this place. I'm put this thread, again, in the incorrect one...forgive me all for my silly mistakes, I'll get to know it soon enough!

I wish you all a good day, as much as it can be for YOU! :-)

new_day
Unread 06-08-2010, 08:32 AM

PS, CT, he just repaired a small area, where it had begun and already had eroded through...It sounds like you sure do know what you're talking about too...Like so many others here.
TY!!!
Take care,
new_day! :-)
Unread 06-08-2010, 09:08 AM

new_day--

I'm so sorry you are going through this ickiness. You did nothing to cause it; you don't deserve it; and there is hope that it can go away once the stuff is out of you.

Mesh erosion is a nasty business. It can cause pain beyond what anyone seems to understand unless they have endured it themselves. When I was going through the worst of it myself, it was soooo sensitive and touchy that some days, I felt like glass--touch me and I'd shatter. I know for sure that many--if not most--doctors just do NOT seem to understand the level that the pain can reach. My 1st doctor sure did NOT seem to get it.

On some of the days I'd go in, he'd do what I call the 'in-office torture procedure'. He'd try to trim the mesh right there in his office with no anesthesia whatsoever. I-kid-you-not. It was unbearably hideous. It felt like surgery. I can't even describe the pain and waves of nausea. I felt faint and horrible. He told me that I could take as long as I needed afterwards. The second time, I just lay there and didn't move and hoped I wouldn't throw up. After 15 minutes, a nurse came to check on me and asked if I was okay. She just looked at me and I'm sure wondered if I'd be there all day. Lol. <sigh>

I had 3 actual removal surgeries but that doctor did only the first 2. I found someone far more experienced to do the last one. I searched for and went on consults with two urogynecologists who had done many more mesh removals than he had done and chose the second expert to do my removal. Experience counts for a lot in this area. I know now for a fact that there are at least 2 highly qualified experts in the country--not where I live--who do highly technical mesh removals including even obturator mesh. They are getting reputations for their skill and ability to do this surgery when no one else will even touch some cases. Today if I had a problem, I would probably go to one of these 2 doctors (one in TX; one in CA).

I did have all but the arms of the large anterior bladder sling removed and I've not had problems from the mesh ever since. [Mine was inserted in 6/05. Partially removed in 12/05, 9/06, and lastly in 2/07.] It's not a fun process but it does feel good once it's out. I do worry sometimes about the 'arms' of the mesh that are still in but since I haven't had problems yet, I'm hoping they won't cause any in the future.

I hope you find a path to healing soon, new day. The symptoms you describe are similar to ones we've been through: thick discharge, some bleeding, smell, extreme sensitivity. Be sure to keep looking for the right doctor if you do not seem to get the care you know you deserve.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.