HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Less than 24 hours to go any tips to get through this last day before surgery Less than 24 hours to go any tips to get through this last day before surgery

Unread 06-10-2010, 07:38 AM
Less than 24 hours to go any tips to get through this last day before surgery

we just moved less than a week ago and now I am trying to prepare for my surgery tomorrow.....my whole body is tense...does anyone have any tips to get through this last day before surgery HELP!!!
Unread 06-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Re: Less than 24 hours to go any tips to get through this last day before surgery

Hi Isavril!
I had a major panic attack the day before my surgery. Almost nothing that I wanted to get done was done. I posted and my hystersisters managed to calm me down.
Looking back, all the stuff I had wanted to get done would have needed doing again by now and I can’t do it anyway.
Take deep breaths, relax and do something that you would like to do for yourself!
I was advised that day that the dust bunnies are my friends. You wouldn’t believe how many new friends I have made in the last 16 days
Good luck with your surgery and remember the worst of it really is the waiting!
Hugs,
Suzanne
Unread 06-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Re: Less than 24 hours to go any tips to get through this last day before surgery

I would say to eat light and healthy, drink lots of water, and get plenty of rest. Nap if you feel like it. You don't really have to get anything done for the next several weeks except recover. Your family will take care of you. The doc will give you good pain meds to help you over the worst of it. After surgery, you probably want to eat only light and low fat foods. It's easy to do because you don't have much appetite anyway. You will be fine and get through this. *hugs*
Unread 06-10-2010, 10:29 AM

The night before my TAH I did something completely uncharacteristic of me.... I went to see a movie!! (Not that I don't go to the movies, just not when I had SO much to do!)

I am a COMPLETE planner and when our neighbors called to see if we wanted to go see a movie with them, my first thought was, "Are you crazy? I am having surgery tomorrow and I have a TON of things to do!" Then I had to have a little chat with myself and realized that this time would be great for me, prove to be a wonderful distraction and my husband needed it probably more than I did! So, despite my back killing me from the flippin' fibroids, I said, "SURE!" It killed me not to be able to have popcorn and snow caps though! LOL!

I have to say it was nice to go and shut the world off for a few hours and surprisingly I was never, ever nervous again, even when they called my name the next day to go be prepped for surgery! (Not that I credit all of that to going to the movies!)

Relax, distract yourself if you need to and it will be over before you even know it!!
Unread 06-10-2010, 02:41 PM

Thanks everyone for the great advice....I do agree that this site is the best....just having the reassurance of others that have gone through the same thing helps a lot....I did take an hour or so this afternoon to meditate or try to ...it helped me relax a little......then I find myself thinking oh I need to wash the floors or fold the laundry....and you guys are right none of that really matters now....it is time to take care of me a little...Hugs to all of you for your kind words
Unread 06-10-2010, 02:59 PM

I am less than 24 hours as well and I know what you are going through. I have spent the last week or 2 getting everything cleaned and organized, I keep making lists of things to do to keep me focused. I think the only thing I have left (thanks to my ever so loving boyfriend) is to clean the bathroom, organize my side of the closet and vacuum. As soon as that is done I will light some candles and enjoy a nice cup of tea!!!! Good luck!
Unread 06-10-2010, 03:16 PM

I think we all get the jitters where we want to do things and get everything fixed before the surgery. Let me tell you, after the surgery I could have cared less. I would look at the dirt on the floor and think I can't vacuum- it will get done eventually and it did. I listened to music and read books the night before. Don't think I slept much but made up for it day of surgery. The nerves really can get you. Just keep saying It will be ok, everyone else had them and they survived and if I have some dust bunnies, so what? I think the most important thing is to take care of yourself and let yourself heal. Sending best wishes and prayers for a easy operation and quick recovery.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.