HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Severe Pelvic Pain Left Quadrant...Possible Post Ablation Tubal Syndrome? Severe Pelvic Pain Left Quadrant...Possible Post Ablation Tubal Syndrome?

Unread 06-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Severe Pelvic Pain Left Quadrant...Possible Post Ablation Tubal Syndrome?

Hello,

I'm new here, 42, married, have no bio-kids (1 adopted) and I'm in severe pain. I had a tubal in 2003 and an ablation for excessively heavy and long duration bleeding in 2005.

For the last two years or so, I have been using Percocet to alleviate very painful monthly menstrual cramping. The past two months, on top of the "normal" very painful cramping, I've had horrible, horrible pain on my left side which does not ever go away. This pain also makes my back hurt very badly.

I've recently had an ultrasound, which found a small fibroid, a blocked cervix and fluid built-up in my uterus. I am currently coping (not very well though) with the pain via Percocet, Vicodin, Ativan and heating pads. On the 23rd I go in for a hysteroscopy and D&C (if they can get my cervix open) and a laparoscopy. I am waiting for the hysteroscopy and laparoscopy results before deciding on anything further.

My doctor had recommended a hysterectomy when I had the ablation and again two years ago, but I opted to wait, using drugs to deal with pain. Since I've never had bio-kids, he says he'd want to do an abdominal hysterectomy, hopefully leaving my ovaries, not sure about the cervix.

I'm afraid that my current path is only leading towards hysterectomy and am nervous about having such major surgery and the recovery, but I don't know how long I can continue living with such pain. My exploratory surgery is 10 days away but it seems like an eternity. I'm terrified of this coming week, because it will be my time of the month, so I think the pain will keep getting worse.

I've joined HysterSisters to do as much research as I can to make informed decisions and am looking forward to talking with pre- and post-hysterectomy sisters.

Hearing from anyone who experienced similary symptoms and what came out of their process would greatly help me feel not so afraid.

Unread 06-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Re: Severe Pelvic Pain Left Quadrant...Possible Post Ablation Tubal Syndrome?

I think waiting for the results from the exploratory surgery sounds like a wise plan! Before I had my hysterectomy I had what you are scheduled for: hysteroscopy, laparosocpy, and D&C. The results let me make the best decision for me!

I would also encourage you to seek at least a second gynecological opinion before making your final decision. It would be a good idea to look for a gynecological surgeon who does not practice obstetrics. That type of surgeon should be very experienced when it comes to surgery and may be able to offer you more options. Generally, an OB/GYN tends to perform 2.3 hysterectomies a month while a GYN surgery performs 20+ per month!

Sending best wishes your way!
Unread 06-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Re: Severe Pelvic Pain Left Quadrant...Possible Post Ablation Tubal Syndrome?

Thank you Weiser. My hyst., lap. and D&C have been moved up to tomorrow. Couldn't take the pain anymore. Thank you for the advice. I think a second opinion is a good idea.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.