HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Large, hard uterus & LSH?? Large, hard uterus & LSH??

Unread 06-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Large, hard uterus & LSH??

I am planning a LSH. My uterus had large fibroids and is extremely hard, almost like plastic! Does anyone know if this is a problem for a laparoscopic procedure? I will be discussing this with my dr. but wondered if anyone else was unable to have a LSH because of this.
Unread 06-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Re: Large, hard uterus & LSH??

I had that same question when I had my LSH: how do they get that big uterus + fibroids out of the little holes they make in my belly? Well, they use something called a morcellator, which is a probe they stick in one of the holes and once they disconnect your uterus from everything, it grinds up the uterus as it sucks it out through the hole. Very nifty! The other thing that surprised me is that you are in "the position" during the surgery and someone has some kind of something "up there" holding everything in position from below while they operate!
Glad I was asleep...
Kim
LSH 6/2007
Unread 06-16-2010, 11:20 AM

Thanks Kim. I'm hoping the hardness of the uterus is not a problem but I guess they have tools for that. I had a uterine embolization(awful) in 2002 that caused it. Did everything else go well for you?
Unread 06-16-2010, 05:35 PM

It was a really easy surgery, although I stayed in the hospital two nights...mostly because I won't stay down unless in the hospital. However, I could have gone home late the second day. By the weekend I was walking a mile and at one week I was walking 2.5 miles per day. I teach, so I had the summer off, and I just mixed activity with rest and relaxation. No major problems at all, would recommend LSH to anyone who wants to keep cervix (I kept ovaries too).
Kim
LSH 6/2007
Unread 06-16-2010, 06:07 PM

Hi Joeanne - for sure this is something your surgeon will have to determine. Because they remove it in strips, I guess it will partly depend on whether the hardness prevents their tools from doing that.... I had a mango-sized uterus/fibroids which gave them no problems but I understand that your question is about the hardness specifically, which I can't answer.

If you feel comfortable, it might be worth asking your surgeon how many times they have performed the LSH procedure. I know it feels abit confrontational almost, but...it's a fair question. When my DH asked that of my surgeon, he was great, and said "just short of 1000 times, and I did the first 50 times under observation of my mentor". The reason I bring this up is that the experience level of the surgeon might affect whether they can perform this for you or not.

Wishing you the very best and I hope you get the procedure you are hoping for! I had four incisions including one in my belly button that I can't even see (thats where the camera/light/gas injection tube went) and a tiny incision near each hip for the various tools. The morscillator went in through an incision on my bikini line, and it was pretty bruised but no big deal. Pretty remarkable. I spent one night in hospital and am now at 5 weeks. Nothing remarkable to report except that I still have waves of fatigue that come out of nowhere. I am THRILLED to have this done.

Let us know how your appointment goes!!
Unread 06-16-2010, 06:22 PM

I had daVinci total hysterectomy on 3/25. I had HUGE HUGE HUGE fibroids and my doctor was able to do it. She cut my "junk" into several pieces and removed it vaginally.

Best of luck to you.
Unread 06-17-2010, 10:17 AM

My doctor said NO WAY to vaginal/laproscopic surgery because my uterus was large - he said he does as much as he can that way but NO way with me. Uterus turned out to be size of cantelope melon.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway