HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Breast Cancer and Uterine Cancer -- are they related? Breast Cancer and Uterine Cancer -- are they related?

Unread 06-29-2010, 07:13 AM
Breast Cancer and Uterine Cancer -- are they related?

Hi there -- I had total hyst. Nov.2009. for very early stage uterine cancer, Stage 1A/1. I'm post menopausal. Everything went well. Feeling good. My problem is my fear of going for a mammography. I have put it off for four years. Is there any information out there about the two cancers being related. I was on Pempro for 20 years before dx and of course, can't take it any more.
I realize I'm a jerk for not going for the mammo, but my old radiology place won't give immediate results any more, so now have to take my film and go to a place that will. That's another problem for another day. This fear is taking over and until I get my mammo will be with me. Any support would be appreciated. Thanks. Shirl
Unread 06-29-2010, 07:45 AM
Re: Breast Cancer and Uterine Cancer -- are they related?

I had endo ca as well but was told they are not related. They do share some risk factors but that doesn't make you at higher risk than a non endo ca woman. I did have a mammogram recently. I was called back and it terrified me, I was convinced I had breast ca and read up on it, etc. But it turned out to be nothing, just a technical thing (she showed me the films to prove it). So the point is, even if they want a 2nd look it may not be ca. If it were, you would want it found as early as possible, just like the endo ca was found early. I understand that fear of having a 2nd ca----my mammogram really scared me---but you're not any more likely to have breast ca than someone with your other breast ca risks, if you have any. Mammograms are all about early detection but you have to get them. Try to just get through it so you can stop the worry. You'll actually feel better once its done and OK. Sending hugs and positive thoughts to help you through this.
Unread 06-29-2010, 08:17 AM

It is my impression that breast-ovarian-uterine cancer are related (cervical being the exception). These cancers tend to run in families. But that doesn't mean you are going to get them all, just that you are at increased risk.

You need to have the mammogram. I know how you feel but procrastinating isn't going to make it better. I just had mine & getting back in that stupid hospital gown brought back all kinds of bad flashbacks. But it has to be done.

Good luck.
Unread 06-29-2010, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the replies. My concern is being on pempro for 20 years which probably caused the uterine cancer. And of course, the other obstacle is the fact that my mammography center stopped giving immediate results which to me, is so disgusting. I am going there today to pick up my films and will make the appt. at the center which does give immediate results. Unfortunately, these days, it's not about the patient being comfortable any more (giving immediate results). anyway, know I have to do and will get through it. Thanks for the replies. Do appreciate the feedback. Shirl
Unread 06-29-2010, 10:04 AM

"They" say they're not related, but some of the risk factors are the same. And I have both at the same time, diagnosed about a week apart. So tell me what's up with that?

Oh, I was also on Prempro for about 5 years.

Suzanne
Unread 06-29-2010, 03:33 PM

Thanks Suzanne for your reply. Sorry about your double dx. Hope you are doing well with both. I presume they were both hormone related which is my fear. Are you post menopausal? Shirl
Unread 06-29-2010, 06:56 PM

Yes, I'm postmenopausal. I used to love being a girl . . .
S
Unread 06-29-2010, 07:34 PM

Hey Suzanne -- I still love being a girl. I hope you are doing well with both cancers. You sound like a trooper. How have you dealt with both? I am sure you had a hyst. but how about the breast cancer if you don't mind telling me. Shirl
Unread 06-29-2010, 09:03 PM

My hysterectomy isn't until July 1 and I'm really anxious to get that behind me. I've already had a lumpectomy and sentinal node biopsy. That way May 11.

Treatments for breast cancer (chemotherapy, radiation, aromatase threapy) will start approx 2 weeks after hysterectomy

Of course, we don't know the staging or grade of endometrial cancer until the parts are out.

Breast cancer is Stage 1, estrogen positive, progesterone negative, HER-2 negative. Early and treatable (and curable). Chemotherapy is indicated because my oncotype score was 31. I'm ready for that. I'll get through it.

Endo cancer is also expected to be early and that's what I'm planning on!

I'm doing ok. Am relieved that the fight will finally continue starting on Thursday. It's been a long wait for the hysterectomy (scheduling difficulties) and my little mind has not been still. However, I've been walking daily and eating healthy and am in as good a shape as possible for surgery Thursday.
S

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway