HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Hip, leg and lower back pain Hip, leg and lower back pain

Unread 07-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Hip, leg and lower back pain

Has anyone suffered from excrutiating hip, leg and lower back pain after TAH? I'm 9 months out after TAH and my hip leg and lower back are still killing me. The Dr. sent me for therapy which helped a little. Any ideas?
Unread 07-07-2010, 01:22 AM
Re: Hip, leg and lower back pain

Hi Lori, I am having the same issue with my left hip and lower back. It has been two years since my Hyster and one and a half since my ovaries. but I had to loose my thyroid a year ago and I think it could be the hypothyroid effecting or affecting lol never could get those right. anyway I think it is muscles. my whole bottom half feels like I am walking in mud. I had to stop work to try and get better. I do believe in Chiropractors and have been helped a great deal. So if I walk to much around the house it hurts so bad I want to cry. and if I lay down in the wrong position it is a shooting pain in my high back hip and knee. I am doing exercises at home. I will let you know if I improve. Nell
Unread 07-07-2010, 05:38 AM

Yes, I have had this since surgery, and then off and on over the years. I do believe it is the loss or lowering of hormones.
If you can take something like Aleve or Advil it can help. I cannot take it, so I use Tylenol Arthritis to help me. I also ended up going to orthopedic doctor and he sent me to physical therapy. Exercises for strengthening muscles and stretching do help, but it takes time and you will need to do it regularly.

I am sorry you are having this, and hope it eases up for you.

Unread 07-07-2010, 10:00 AM

I am convinced that they dislocated my hip during surgery. I woke up from surgery with the pain. The pain is so excrutiating that I do actually cry even though I am taking Vicodin. I was sent to therapy and it does help a little. I just hope it doesn't last for the rest of my life. I would never be able to cope with the pain. Glad in one way to know there are others, but in another I have to sympathize with them.
Unread 07-07-2010, 12:10 PM

I'm glad that you posted this thread. I'm 7 weeks post op and during the 4th week my left hip has started to occasionally seize up with pain. It almost feels like a lock jaw kind of pain. My lower back has also been causing me problems. Don't know if it is the joints, muscles, or tendons. I was diagnosed with a scoliosis (spine curved towards the left side) years ago by a chiropracter. Not sure if I'll have to see a chiropracter again once this initial recovery is completed. I've started to exercise and walk more, and stretch whenever I feel that pain. It is very annoying though. I still have to take an Advil every day, and I've started taking a daily calcium/magnesium supplement.

I hope you get some relief soon!
Unread 07-07-2010, 01:12 PM

You are welcome for the post... I have had some relief with the therapy. You might be able to get some of the exercises from a physical therapy office or the chiropractor. They are all easy and had very little impact on my healing. I started the therapy while still recovering from my incision blowing apart. A couple that helped were simply laying flat on my bed and bringing my leg into a bent position by sliding my heel towards my butt. Don't force it if you have any pain at all. Another was to lay flat on my bed and using only my abdominal muscles to lightly try to squeeze the muscles. This one also helps to tighten your ab muscles when you can put a bit more effort into it. The third one that was really easy was again laying flat on my bed to push my lower back into the bed by using only muscles. The area of the lower back that arches a bit just above the tail bone is what you are trying to get to touch the mattress. When they started me out I still had an open incision so I was only to do 1-2 of each to start. As my incision healed it was increased gradually. Of course I would consult my Dr. first but these did bring some relief. I was told at therapy that I could do these as many times a day as I wanted or needed to since they were just very light muscle exercises.

I hope you are back to your regular routine soon. I have found I still tire a bit if I try to much even though it has been nine months.

Hugs and best wishes.

Lori
Unread 10-10-2010, 10:32 AM

ok so just a note. I was able to see a new doctor and I talked about my muscles. He thought maybe it was a vitamin D deficiency. He checked and I was at 12.5. The normal range is 34-100. After one and a half months of treatment I have the level up to 30. I still have a lot of work to do from inactivity because of the pain but I think I have an answer. good luck
Unread 10-11-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loril7 View Post
Has anyone suffered from excrutiating hip, leg and lower back pain after TAH? I'm 9 months out after TAH and my hip leg and lower back are still killing me. The Dr. sent me for therapy which helped a little. Any ideas?
Hi there,
Just to say youre not the only one with leg,hip pain..my left leg and priorly my left foot post surgery has been bothering me post op 4 months. My oseopath reckons it is coming from my hip which hurts when I lie down..he also says its from the postion I was in on the operating table..have another appointment tomorrow..hopefully this will sort out.
I hope your pain gets better soon!
Unread 10-18-2010, 11:13 AM

I am 5 weeks post op and still miserable from this awful ache in my hips and lower back down into my legs. I am going back to work next week part time at the hospital and I am very concerned that I cant do it. I also work EMS part time and am concerned about lifting. Does this get better or is it something Im just going to have to deal with. When I first wake up I feel great but as soon as I get moving the aching begins.
Unread 10-18-2010, 09:17 PM

I'd love to tell you that it will get better fast, but I haven't had that kind of luck. If you keep moving and can just get short break to sit you may be fine if you have the same issues I have. I just passed the 1 year mark and am still in a lot of pain. They put me on Vicodin and it helps some. They tried me on low dose morphine but I react to it and they put me back on vicodin. It cuts throuh the pain some but I am still always in pain. They did determine that I have a little arthritis in my right hip but it is the left that hurt. I have a terrible time if I have to stand still in one place, like washing dishes. I wish you the best and hope all goes well for you. It seems that everyone who is suffering the hip and back pain has a different issue.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.