Seroma? | Separate Surgeries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Seroma?

Hi All, I had my last ovary taken out on 6/17. My question is I know at my 2 week appt my dr. said that I have a seroma. The dr. is in the Bay Area (2 1/2 hrs away) and I have to go back in 2 weeks but until then, I have some questions. The seroma has not opened and drained like he had hoped. It has actually gotten larger and has a hard sore lump under it. The lump is about the size of a golf ball. Does anyone know the chances that this will have to be opened to drain? How long before it resolves? I do not want to have to go and stay in SF again (it is expensive!) ugh. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Re: Seroma?

I am so sorry you have developed a seroma! What a bummer! I hear they can be miserable and some women have issues with them for months and even years!

Are you in phone contact with the out of area doctor? I know when I had surgery in the Bay Area I was able to call his office with any questions and they would do their best to handle everything over the phone to avoid unnecessary travel. Additionally, my local GYN and GP were aware of what was going on in case I needed to visit them about anything that came up. Could you schedule an appointment with your GYN or GP just to be safe?

I hope you don't have to have the seroma drained but if you do, I wish you all the best!

Also, likely you already know this, but for my stay for the surgery, we used the internet to search for hotels in surrounding areas and found more reasonable rates then staying right near the hospital. Since our stay was for several days, we found a reasonable Extended Stay America in Freemont. (My surgery was in Menlo Park and my surgeon's office was in Palo Alto.)

Unread 07-07-2010, 07:00 PM

I just had my seroma drained this afternoon. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I had a large vertical incision from my surgery on 6/11/10 to remove an ovarian remenant and large cyst. The radiologist could have drained it with only lidocain, but I opted to have sedation. They cleaned the area and put sterile dressings around the site, gave me some happy juice in my IV and it was over before I knew it. They used ultrasound guidence to find the pocket of fluid. They kept me for about an hour after the procedure and let me go home. I've slept most of the day, but feel ok. I needed to take a percocet at the hospital before I left, but it wasn't a bad procedure.
Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2010, 07:10 PM

Thank you both! I have called the gyn in SF for other things and they have been helpful. He is taking the hope for the best and don't talk about the worst with the seroma. My gyn/gp in this area have asked me to go to the ER when I had a complication 5 days post op and then again when the seroma drained a bit 8 days post op.
Thanks for the advice on the hotels. We had to stay downtown SF for my surgery. I did find a good price online because I booked so early ($88 a night) and then I booked the same room for my post op on the 23rd and it is $188...errr. I hope that the seroma will go away and I can just use the day in SF to enjoy some sites and a nice dinner.
Thanks Nitnew! Did you know that it would have to be drained or was it a surprise? I have about 2 inchs of horizonital incision that is really puffy and now I have a lump under it that is about the size of a golf ball. It hurts when I touch it. How large was yours? Will this slow your recovery alot?? Thanks again!
Unread 07-07-2010, 07:39 PM

I was having such pain last week that my GYN told me to go to the ER. (I use a military hospital and everything is computerized so there is no waiting on my GYN getting results back from tests) The ER did an ultrasound and a CT Scan that night and found the pocket of fluid. I saw my GYN the next day(Friday 7/2/10) and she put in the consult for me to go to Intervental Radiology. She told me to call them on Tuesday to make an appointment since Monday all the clinics were closed. First thing Tuesday(yesterday) morning I got a phone call from the nurse from the clinic stating they wanted to see me that day and do the procedure today. So, it was pretty quick.
I saw my GYN after my procedure and I have to keep the bandage on the site for 24 hours before I can remove it and have a shower. She told me to take it easy for a day or two, but I haven't been feeling like doing a whole lot since my surgery anyway
They drained 60cc's of fluid out of me today and didn't need to leave a drain cath behind which was great! That was one thing they said they might have to do depending on what the fluid looked like and how much they could get with just draining it with the needle. They showed me the fluid after I was more awake after the procedure..lol! The doctor said the fluid didn't look infected and everything should be fine.

Hopefully, things go well for you! I don't handle any type of procedures well, and this was a breeze. The worse part was the IV out of the entire day.
Unread 07-07-2010, 09:30 PM

Thanks Nitnew, your description is great...and unfortunately, right on the money for what they told me at the ER when I went 5 days post op. I was in such severe pain that I was vomiting, elevated BP (170/102), they thought I was having a heart attack. First EKG, then chest xrays and then CT to find fluid and inflamed part of intestines. My gyno said that we could wait 3 weeks to see if the fluid goes away. It is getting larger and more painful. If it gets to be too much, I will go back to the ER but I really really don't want to. 15 more days until my next trek to San Francisco. We already have a hotel for that Friday night. If they have to do a procedure, hopefully it can be done that day or night so I don't have to go back again.
Thanks again and I really hope that one draining was all that you need.
Unread 07-08-2010, 07:38 AM

Thanks jtwilliams!

I'm hoping this is it for me! It wasn't a horrible procedure, but for me I wouldn't have done it without sedation. The radiologist said it could be done without it, but I have to much anxiety for that kind of stuff
Unread 07-08-2010, 10:49 PM

Hey, everyone can have their anxietys! I have had 6 breast biopsy, 1 MRI guided breast biopsy (OUCH!), 3 esphogeal dilations, 2 spinal nerve block shots, TAH, Mastectomy, implant exchange, 2 csections, 2 abdominal surgeries, and I swear I cannot go to the dentist without having a major attack even though I drove myself to the hospital for all the other procedures LOL ....everyone gets to have their anxietys :-)
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:48 PM

Wanted to check in with you jtwilliams and see how you are doing?
I'm going in to see my GYN thursday to see how everything is progressing since my last procedure.
Please keep me updated on your progress!
Unread 07-13-2010, 11:50 PM

Hey nitnew! I am doing amazingly well the last couple of days! I even made it to Target last night...hubby drove and I had to leave mid trip to go sit in the car but GEEEZ, it was good to be out. I can actually say that I have no pelvic pain when I am not moving. Something that for the last 3 years couldn't even be taken away with norco. I can't wait to see what your Dr says. Positive thoughts going with you! how are you feeling? Have yougone back to "regular" life yet? I don't expect to go back to work until mid August...although here I am at 11PM and checking work email! LOL Thanks for checking in and let me know how you are doing

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register