HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

heat pad  good or bad ? heat pad good or bad ?

Unread 07-08-2010, 12:33 PM
heat pad good or bad ?

i have always ( the past 4 years at least) depended on my heating pad or ( corn bags ) for comfort from my belly pain .. i am a lil over a week post op .. and i long for the comfort of my ( warm corn ) will using a heat pad ect cause more swelling ? I havent used it except or my lower back .. but has anyone else used heating source for relief ? I have heard some say ice pack .. but that sounds like it would be less soothing to me personally
Unread 07-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Re: heat pad good or bad ?

I've heard some say heat and others cold - depending on the doctor I guess. During my first week I was not allowed to use heat, however when I had pain during my 4th week my doctor recommended a heating pad.

Maybe give a quick call to your doctor's office to check what your doctor recommends would be a good idea.
Unread 07-08-2010, 12:45 PM

I had Laproscopic assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy with ovary removed. I took my heating pad with me to the hospital and was able to use it every other 30 minutes with an hour break in between. Call your doctor and find out what he recommends. But I am not sure I would have made it without mine. I never used ice.
Unread 07-08-2010, 01:13 PM

Cold felt better to me on my belly than warm. I was also very warm over all, so the cool was nice in keeping me a bit more comfortable in general.

Check with you doctor, and if give the green light use whatever feels better to you!
Unread 07-08-2010, 01:33 PM

i was never told any differently, so used my heating pad from day 2... mostly for my lower back, but also my shoulder when the gas pain got to be too much... i never used ice...
Unread 07-08-2010, 01:37 PM

Heat worked best for me on my shoulder and belly but just use common sense don't put it directly on the skin!!!
Unread 07-08-2010, 01:39 PM

Love the heating pad!!
Unread 07-08-2010, 03:16 PM

My doc says its all about your comfort, binder or not, heat or ice, sleeping positions, exercise, pain meds, whatever. If it helps you feel better use it. I like heat and hate cold so I used my heating pad quite a bit and never considered ice.
Unread 07-08-2010, 03:28 PM

(((violentjayne)))

It is best to check with your doctor before using a heating pad on your surgical areas! Call the 's office and find out what is okay for you!

Unread 07-08-2010, 05:04 PM

Call your doctor's office and ask. My doc said it's all about what makes me feel better. I use heat most of the time. A few times I wanted a cold pack. I can tell right away if it feels good or not and switch if when I feel like it. She even prescribed a hot bath on a schedule she gave me. It seems to help with the pain in beginning and the "twinges" now that I am 3+ weeks post-op. I love my homemade rice, bean, and lavendar bags. I keep some in the freezer and some near the microwave.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.