HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Surgi Strips-How long do they stay on??? Surgi Strips-How long do they stay on???

Unread 10-21-2001, 01:24 PM
Surgi Strips-How long do they stay on???

I just wanted to know how long did you have to wear your surgi strips?? I am 11 days post op now and have had them on for 8 days, and they don't look like they are going to fall off anytime soon! But they are driving me up the wall with itchies the past two days! I am allergic to adhesive and I guess my tolerance for these is running down!! When my doctor applied them said to keep them on till they fall off, but due to my drug induced haze never bothered to ask how long that would be! Hopefully you lovely ladies will have some answers for me!
Thanks ever so much!
Brenda
P.S. Already did a search on this but didn't find any answers there!
Unread 10-21-2001, 01:53 PM
steri-strips

Hi, BlendaB,
The printed sheet of instructions I was given at the hospital said that I should remove the steri-strips after 7 days. Since steri-strips were the only thing closing my incision immediately after surgery, I decided that meant 7 days after leaving the hospital.
I decided also that if the incision wasn't pretty well healed by then, I would leave them on longer - just common sense. I removed them 9 days after coming home. The incision is well-healed now and never did any bleeding or oozing. I think the blowdryer on low setting helps it to heal and stay healed if you use it everyday after your shower.
Take care and best wishes!
Sandy
Unread 10-21-2001, 02:20 PM

I had mine applied 5 days post op when my staples came out. I am on day 13 and 3 still remain.

My instructions were to leave them alone, they will fall off or she will take them off at my 2 week check up tomorrow YEAH!!

Traci
Unread 10-21-2001, 02:31 PM

Hey Brenda:

Guess this is another one of those things that everyone does differently. If I were you I'd call the Dr. or Nurse and ask. I had staples in until 6 days post op and then the nurse put steri strips on when she took staples out. She told me to leave them on for five days and then take them off. Like you they were not even beginning to fall off on their own. I removed them on the 5th day and my incision looks pretty darn good (as good as one of these things can look!).

Good luck and happy healing!

Betty
Unread 10-21-2001, 02:58 PM

I only had steri-strips from the time of surgery. My written instructions said remove them in 10-14 days if they don't fall off.

THey were stuck but good even though I showered every single day! By day 10 I removed every 3rd one...this way I could see if there was any gapping in the incision...I did this for 3 days and they were all off....incision was perfectly closed and never any drainage.

I do however now have one of the tailend of my internal stitches hanging from the far Left end ....I'm just gonna assume it'll fall off. If it starts looking hairy I'll call the doc!
Unread 10-21-2001, 03:12 PM
blendab

Hi there, BlendaB,
My doctor advised me in the hospital to remove the strip on the 7th day after the surgery, while in the shower so that I could get it nice and wet, so that it would be easier to remove. I was scared to do it on the 7 th day and waited until day 8, it came off with no difficulty. I had this crazy notion that everything would just fall apart and of course, nothing could have been further from the truth. It was all just fine.
I think you should check with your doctor as to what they would like you to do - that is always the safest bet.
Hope you are doing well.
Unread 10-21-2001, 04:26 PM

Thank you all!

I guess like everything else here, everyone is told different depending on thier doctor! I guess I will just give the nurse a call tomorrow and tell her about my itchy belly!! I know its healed well due to the fact no drainage at all, or so says my hubby, the only one that has been up close to it!! Have a great evening all and again thanks for all your help!
Brenda
Unread 10-21-2001, 04:53 PM

Hello Brenda

I took my steri strips off 8 days post op. It made me feel better to get them off and clean up the remains of the adhesives. I put triple antibiotic cream on the scar to help with the healing. Now I am using vitamin E oil because It actually fades the scarring.
I hope you are recovering well. One thing about having my surgery the first of Oct.....the month is almost gone and I absolutely do not know where!!!

S

Annette

PS. The antibiotic cream and vitamin E was my idea, not a doctors order.
Unread 10-21-2001, 05:35 PM

Stapleswere taken out on day 10 and strips put on, she just said they would fall off but like you I am sensitive to adhesive so I took them off after 3 days. Everything looked great and I started with the vitiman E oil and massaging it in. Incision looks wonderful now. Cathy TAH/BSO .9mg premerin
Unread 10-21-2001, 05:45 PM

When taking the steri strips off, pull both ends towards the middle, rather than pulling them off from one end to the other. There will be less pulling on the incision.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.