HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Unread 07-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Weight gain

I had my hysterectomy in November and I'm on the Vivelle Dot 0.05. I have gained over 15 pounds since my surgery! I feel like I have so much water weight, too! When I came home from the hospital, I was able to fit into my jeans and they were a little loose on me! Now - I can't even pull those jeans over my thighs! I am so distressed over this! Other than the weight gain, I feel pretty good. The hormones made my moods and feeling of well being much better than it had been in years - and years of night sweats are gone. My libido has also been better than it has been in years. I just have this weight gain... and it's getting worse! I had my internist check my thyroid two months ago. He said it is normal. I believe he just tested the TSH. Should I see if my gynecologist will test my hormone levels? Should I just add some natural progesterone? I am nearly at my wit's end! I exercise. I watch my calories (eating less than 1100 calories per day). I take vitamin supplements. I really need some help here! I am getting depressed at the way I look. I can't stand it when people take my picture - I don't recognize that fat face!
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Re: Does Vivelle dot cause weight gain?

I forgot to mention that my bra size has gone up by two cup sizes, too!
Unread 07-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Re: Weight gain

Progesterone for me helps with the water gain (due to higher estrogen). Might be worth a try.
Unread 07-17-2010, 02:16 AM

Hi Grace,

I came on here tonight for this very reason. Sigh. I had my ovaries removed in November, and just like you I was thinner for about five minutes, and now I am gradually getting fatter and fatter. And it is around my belly it seems, which it hasn't been before. I am feeling so distressed, as you are. I am soon to go to an endocrinologist to beg them to do something. Having insurance issues over that at the moment, but as soon as I straighten it out, I'm going. I don't know what the answer is, but I just thought I'd let you know someone else is looking for the answer too!
Did you have your ovaries removed too? I had a hysterectomy in 2006, and then an oopherectomy in 2009 (removal of the ovaries). I assume you did but just checking...

Let's let the other know if we find something out, okay?
Unread 07-17-2010, 06:49 AM

Hi Grace!
I am feeling exactly the way you do . I have gained fifteen pounds and I can't pull up my pants! I'm getting very sad about this too.
Maybe we can all get some good advice.
Hang in there!
Kelly
Unread 07-17-2010, 05:49 PM

Thanks for your replies! I did have my ovaries removed. I was searching on the Internet last night and I found a post from someone who had a hysterectomy and had thyroid problems, but thyroid tests showed she was normal. She started the Blood Type Diet and lost thirty pounds almost immediately! I went to that website and I couldn't believe what it said for my Blood Type! People eating the wrong foods (many considered to be diet foods) can actually cause weight gain in some people. They have supplements that help increase thyroid function and increase metabolism in people with a sluggish thyroid. I ordered the book from the website. My blood type is O and it said on there that many Type O's have these problems after a hysterectomy! After I get the book and start the diet, I'll let you know if it works. Check out their website if you are interested.
Unread 07-17-2010, 05:56 PM

I am curious - have either of you had weight problems before your hysterectomy? I have never had a weight problem prior to my surgery. I have worn the same size clothes for years. I've now gone up two pant sizes. I'm a business professional and I have nothing to wear to work! I'm slowly buying new stuff - no expensive suits - hoping to have something to wear until I lose the weight. Getting dressed in the morning is so depressing - my day starts off bad nearly every day!
Unread 07-17-2010, 06:15 PM

Sounds good on the blood type diet, I know others who have successfully done that. Yes, I have had weight problems my whole life, but have usually been on the winning side! It actually makes me feel better to hear you didn't used to have problems; so I'm not just being a bad dieter suddenly! Also, keep in mind we can have swelly belly for a year or even over a year...I had that from my hysterectomy, and my oopherectomy was open abdominal as well. Of course that doesn't explain why my shirts don't fit.
Unread 07-17-2010, 07:04 PM

Yes, I kept telling myself it's swelly belly - but mine is like a tire around my belly when I'm sitting down. And my shirts don't fit. And the legs on my dress pants feel tight in the thighs. And my face is fat.
Unread 07-20-2010, 06:11 AM

Grace, it could be that you're not taking enough estrogen and your body is compensating by adding fat that will produce estrogen. Just a thought. I know if you feel good on what you're on, the drs (and you) would hesitate to up it. Or it could also be that you're not absorbing it well.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.