HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

how long to expect to be off work? how long to expect to be off work?

Unread 07-27-2010, 03:51 PM
how long to expect to be off work?

Hello ladies and thank you for such a wonderful website with so much information. I'm told that recovery is 3-4 weeks but others have told me that they were off 6 weeks and some 8 weeks. I'm scheduled for an open, complete hysterectomy next Wed. Aug.4th, as well as a tummy tuck at the same time. I am an educational aide and school starts August 31st will that be possible? HELP? I don't want to lose my job before I even start but should tell them now if I will NOT be able to go back on the first day of school. Thank you.
Unread 07-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Re: how long to expect to be off work?

well, everyone heals differently. Did your dr tell you 3-4 weeks?

I had a LAVH and was told by the dr that it would be 6-8, and that at 8 i could go back to work. I personally couldn't have done it before 7 weeks. That doesn't mean you won't be able to.

I would recommend seeing if you can do half time the first week back, or every other day. The fatigue and some swelling will do you in that first week. It really is a case of take it as it comes kind of thing. there is no one answer for everyone.

Good luck, hope you get some more replies from the ladies that have had your kind of surgery.
Unread 07-27-2010, 05:30 PM

I have a question... I thought about this. Do you have to have a second doctor for the tummy tuck?
Unread 07-27-2010, 05:56 PM

Yes, The plastic surgeon will open my stomach, then a gyn/onc will do the hysterectomy and then the plastic surgeon will do the tummy tuck and then close me back up
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:50 PM

I had a TAH/LSO and my doctor said I would be off at least 4 to 6 weeks. I had my check up today and will be going back to work at 6 weeks. Of course, everyone is different.
Unread 07-27-2010, 08:04 PM

I had a TAH and my doctor told me 6-9 weeks. I took the 9 weeks as I do some heavy lifting even though I'm a secretary.
Unread 07-27-2010, 08:04 PM

Everyone is different. My doctor told me that since my surgery would be "text book" I would only need 4 weeks. Things changed after he opened me up and found a mess with internal bleeding from broken blood vessels that were wrapped all around my uterus and bladder as well as adhesions. I am 6 weeks and will be going back to work on Monday (7 wks after surgery).
Unread 07-27-2010, 08:11 PM

Wish I could do that!!! Thought about telling the GYN she was welcome to remove any excess fat she found...
Unread 07-29-2010, 05:51 AM

I had a total lavh and I went back to work after 9 days. I was tired but that was it. Everyone is different I just felt really good and felt ready. Just rest and take it very easy and let others take care of you. The fastest recovery is resting and not overdoing anything.
Unread 07-29-2010, 07:01 AM

That sounds great!! Hope it happens that way for me. My doc actually says two weeks, but all of my colleagues say six weeks. I'm planning on playing tennis in six weeks

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.